Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole Recipe is perfect for brunch because it feeds a crowd and only bakes for 30-35 minutes!
Today’s recipe is a part of #EasterBrunchWeek and has been sponsored by Eggland’s Best. As always, all opinions are my own. For more information, please see our Disclosure Policy. #ad #MadeWithEB
Our tasty Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole Recipe includes everything you want for breakfast in one fabulous dish. You’ll love how amazing the crispy tater tots, crunchy salty bacon, crumbled breakfast sauce and melted cheeses all come together. Along with milk and egg, the cheese helps bring it all together. Colby jack is creamy and cheddar gives the tater tot breakfast casserole recipe a sharp bite.
I love make ahead dishes that simplify my life, like Overnight Oats with Rhubarb Sauce – so good! Technically this breakfast casserole recipe isn’t make ahead, but I do often cook the sausage a day or two before. I love when I hit a sale on it. I stock up (it freezes so well!) and then I can cook up two packages and use half of it to make this yummy Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole Recipe, and the other half to make my mom’s famous Potato Sausage Casserole.
This casserole is similar in a way to my Bacon Egg and Cheese Savory Breakfast Bundt recipe. Both have all the fabulous flavors you’d want in a breakfast bake, but this Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole Recipe is a little bit faster since you don’t have to wait for the rolls to rise.
Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole Recipe Shopping List
- tater tots
- ground sausage
- cheddar and colby jack cheeses
- salt and pepper
- onion powder
- parsley or chives for garnish (optional)
I use Eggland’s Best organic eggs for this recipe. I love the quality of this product. Eggland’s Best organic brown eggs carry the USDA organic seal, offer superior nutrition and are available in large, extra large, and jumbo. They are are typically delivered to stores within 72 hours of laying, ensuring a farm-fresh taste in every single egg.
You Might Also Need:
Some of the items below contain affiliate links; I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. I am also an affiliate for other programs. However, I only promote things that I love and think you will love, too. For more information, please see our Disclosure Policy.
Products from Amazon.com
Price: $12.92Was: $43.00
For a list of some of my favorite items to use when cooking, and why I chose them, please visit my Kitchen Resource page.
How to Put together this Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole Recipe
For brunch with other dishes, this casserole will feed 9-12 people. As a stand alone breakfast, plan on 6 servings. For a larger crowd, you can easily double the recipe in a 9×13 baking dish, however the cooking time will be longer.
- Bake the tater tots for 10 minutes.
- Fry the bacon.
- Cook the breakfast sausage and drain off excess fat.
- Add a layer of tater tots to the bottom of a greased 9×9 baking dish.
- Top with half of the cheese and all of the sausage.
- Whisk together the milk and eggs. Season with salt and pepper. Pour into the baking dish.
- Bake at 350-degrees F for 25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and top with the remaining tater tots and cheese.
- Return to the oven and bake another 5-10 minutes until the top is golden brown and the casserole is baked through.
Breakfast Casserole Variations
Because we test all our recipes, we recommend that you make them once just as it is without substitutions or changes. Sometimes variations can go awry. Making our Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole Recipe as we have tested it will yield the best results. If you really want to get creative, here are some ideas for variations that might work well. (Please note, we have not tested these variations).
- For a spicy kick, use pepper jack cheese instead of colby jack, or add a pinch of red pepper flake.
- If you’re not into sausage, use cubed ham instead. Cook it in a skillet for a few minutes before adding it to the casserole dish.
- Sneak in some veggies like onions and peppers. Dice them finely and add to the skillet while the sausage mixture cooks.
What to Serve with Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
When everything is in one dish, you don’t need much else! I serve English muffins or toast with Maple Bacon Compound Butter. For a little something sweet, serve Strawberry Breakfast Parfaits or Honey Lime Fruit Salad.
More Delicious Breakfast Recipes:
from left to right:
More Recipes Using Eggland’s Best:
Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole Recipe
If you love this recipe, it would really make my day if you gave it a 5 star rating!
Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
- 4 strips bacon cooked and chopped
- 1 lbs 16 ounces frozen tater tots
- 1 lb ground breakfast sausage
- 1 cup colby jack cheese, shredded
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 large egg or 2 small eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- fresh parsley or chives to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350-degrees F. Grease a 9x9 baking dish and set aside.
- Pre-bake the tater tots on a baking sheet at 350-degrees F for 10-15 minutes until they are almost crispy and golden brown.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook the ground sausage. Drain off the excess fat.
- In a large measuring cup, whisk together the milk and eggs. Season with onion powder, salt and pepper.
- Add a layer of tater tots to the bottom of the baking dish.
- Top with half of the cheddar cheese and half of the colby jack cheese and all of the ground sausage.
- Pour the egg mixture over into the dish.
- If you are making this ahead of time, stop here and see recipe notes for next steps.
- To cook immediately, bake uncovered for 25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and top with the remaining cheese and tatertots. Sprinkle with bacon.
- Return the casserole to the oven and bake for another 5-10 minutes until the sides are bubbling, the egg mixture has set up and the top is golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and garnish with fresh parsley or chives, if desired. Let rest 5 minutes before cutting.