These Blueberry Oat Muffins are loaded with fresh sweet blueberries, hearty oats and sprinkled with toasted chopped walnuts for a delicious healthy breakfast on-the-go!
This muffin can't offer world peace, but they just might make your mornings more peaceful! Blueberry Oat Muffins are a great healthy start to the day, and they make a great on-the-go breakfast for busy families.
I like to play with the flavor and textures of baked goods, so I add milled flax seed and wheat germ to the muffins. It's an extra source of Omega-3's and helps add to that nuttiness. And a little lemon zest enhances out the blueberry flavor. Those ingredients are optional, but I strongly recommend them!
Table of contents
- Quick cooking oats
- Brown sugar
- All-purpose flour
- Granulated sugar
- Baking powder
- Wheat germ and Milled flax seed (both optional)
- Salt (optional)
- Egg whites
- Canola oil
- Lemon zest
- Fresh blueberries
Here's a tip to muffin toppings - toasting the oats and nuts will bring out the flavors. The combo of the toasted oats and chopped walnuts will give your muffins a nice nuttiness.
Blueberry Oat Muffins Variations
Because we test all our recipes, we recommend that you make then once just as it is without substitutions or changes. Sometimes variations can go awry. Making our Blueberry Oat Muffins as we have tested it will yield the best results.
If you really want to get creative, here are some ideas for variations that might work well. (Please note, we have not tested these variations).
- Substitute blueberries with strawberries or raspberries! Any fresh berry should work.
- Swap out the walnuts for almonds or pecans.
More Homemade Muffin Recipes
Try one of these other delicious recipes:
- Sweet Potato Muffins - Juggling Act Mama
- Carrot Cake Apple Breakfast Muffins - Vibrant Plate
- Strawberry Coffee Cake Muffins Recipe | Sugar and Soul
- Raspberry Cream Cheese Muffins - Juggling Act Mama
Blueberry Oat Muffins Recipe
I love these muffins and if you love them too, please give the recipe 5 stars!
Blueberry Oat Muffins
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 1-¾ cups quick cooking oats uncooked divided
- 2 teaspoons firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon wheat germ optional
- 1 tablespoon milled flax seed optional
- ¼ teaspoon salt optional
- 1 cup milk
- 2 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon applesauce
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- ½ cup walnuts chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350-degrees F. Spread the oats and nuts on a baking sheets and toast in the oven for 10-15 minutes to bring out the flavors.
- Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl, whisk the egg whites. Add the applesauce, canola oil, lemon zest, and vanilla. Stir to combine.
- Once you are done toasting the oats and nuts, set the walnuts and ¼ cup of the oats aside for the topping.
- Preheat the oven to 400-degrees F and prepare a muffin pan with paper liners or coat with cooking spray.
- To the mixing bowl, add the flour, sugar, baking powder, milled flax seed, wheat germ, salt and the rest of the oats. Stir to combine.
- Spoon the batter evenly into the muffin cups, taking care not to fill more than ¾ of the cup. Top with the remaining oat and walnut mixed.
- Bake 18 to 22 minutes or until a light golden brown. Remove the muffins from the oven and allow to cool in the pan on wire rack 5 minutes. Turn the muffins out onto the rack and serve warm.
For best results, be sure to check our Tips and FAQs above with important tips and questions that can help your delicious recipe come out perfectly.