My Loaded Potato Salad recipe is so good, you'll be tempted to have it as a meal! Just like your favorite loaded baked potato, this side dish has everything. Whether you're serving this with Petite Sirloin or Chicken Tenders, everyone is going to love it!
Potato salad is a classic summer side, but in my humble opinion, it needs an upgrade. That's where my Loaded Potato Salad comes in - if you love a loaded baked potato, this is for you. It's a side dish you might just want as your meal!
We start with red potatoes and a full pound of delicious bacon. Sour cream adds a delicious kick you don't always find in potato salad. Cheddar cheese and green onions add texture and flavor. It's a well rounded side dish that everyone will come back to for seconds.
What Ingredients Do You Need For Loaded Potato Salad?
- Red Skinned Potatoes
- Sour Cream
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Smoked Paprika
How To Make Loaded Baked Potato Salad
- Chop potatoes into bite-size pieces and place them in a large pot of lightly salted water. Place the pot on the stove and heat over high heat to boiling. Simmer for 8-12 minutes.
- When the potatoes are finished, rinse with cold water for a few minutes to cool completely.
- Slice the green onions into thin pieces, cutting about halfway up the green part. Chop the bacon into small pieces.
- Combine mayonnaise, sour cream, onion powder, garlic powder, and smoked paprika mix thoroughly.
- Add your potatoes to the mayonnaise mixture and stir. Add in green onions, bacon, and shredded cheese, fold until everything is evenly mixed.
- Chill and serve.
What can you add to Potato Salad?
Personalize this loaded baked potato salad with your favorite mix-ins. Here are a few ideas of ingredients you can add to make it all your own:
- Feta or Blue Cheese Crumbles
- Hot Sauce and/or Red Pepper Flakes
- Celery and/or Onions
- Hard Boiled Eggs
What kind of potatoes do you use in Potato Salad?
Potatoes that are on the smaller side with thin skins make the best potato salad. Look for waxy potatoes such as yellow, white or red and but stay away from russet potatoes. My personal favorite is Yukon gold potatoes because they are easier to peel - if you prefer your potato salad without skins.
More BBQ Side Dishes
Here are a few other side dishes that are easy to prepare and fantastic for your next cookout!
- Best Easy Grilled Vegetables
- Watermelon Salad
- Grilled Potatoes
- Rainbow Grilled Vegetable Kabobs
- Roasted Beet Salad
Try this Loaded Potato Salad Recipe along side one of these tasty proteins:
Loaded Potato Salad Recipe
Loaded Potato Salad
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 3 lbs Red Skinned Potatoes about 10 small/med
- 1 lb Bacon cooked
- 1 Cup Mayonnaise
- 1 Cup Sour Cream
- 2 Cups Cheddar Cheese Shredded
- 5 Green Onions
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Onion Powder
- ½ teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- Chop potatoes into bite size pieces and place them in a large pot of lightly salted water. Place the pot on the stove and heat over high heat to boiling. Once boiling reduce heat to a simmer and simmer for 8-12 minutes or until fork tender.
- When the potatoes are finished place them in a colander and rinse with cold water for a few minutes to cool completely.
- While the potatoes are cooking slice the green onions into thin pieces, cutting about halfway up the green part. Chop the bacon into small pieces.
- In a large bowl, combine mayonnaise, sour cream, onion powder, garlic powder and smoked paprika mix thoroughly.
- Add your potatoes to the mayonnaise mixture and stir to coat. Add in green onions, bacon, and shredded cheese, fold until everything is evenly mixed.
- Keep covered and chilled until ready to serve.