Creamy, cheesy million dollar chicken casserole tastes like a million bucks because it's loaded with sour cream, cream cheese, cottage cheese, leftover chicken, and has a buttery crunchy topping.
This is one of my favorite recipes to make for busy weeknights. You can throw together this creamy sauce and tender chicken mixture in about 15 minutes.
Our million dollar chicken casserole uses simple ingredients you probably already have on hand and can be made with leftover chicken or even rotissrie chicken!
While the casserole bakes, kick off your shoes, throw on your pjs, and chill out! You're gonna love this.
- cream cheese
- cottage cheese
- sour cream
- cream of chicken soup or cream soup substitute
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- diced or shredded chicken
- buttery crackers (such as Ritz)
This is meant to be a brief overview of this great recipe. For step-by-step instructions and a full printable recipe card with ingredients, please scroll down to the teal box below or Jump to Recipe.
- In a large bowl, combine the cream cheese, cottage cheese, sour cream, cream soup, and seasonings.
- Mix in the cooked chicken.
- Lightly butter a 9x13 casserole dish and transfer the mixture into it.
- Combine crushed crackers and melted butter and sprinkle on top of the casserole evenly.
- Bake at 350-F until hot and bubbly.
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Here is what you will need to make this easy recipe:
Be sure to check out my Juggling Act Mama Storefront on Amazon where you'll find all kinds of great products to make your life easier! Thanks so much for being a part of Juggling Act Mama ❤
✔️ To save time, use leftover chicken, rotisserie chicken, or plan ahead and make a big batch of shredded chicken to use all week long.
To Store: Store your cooked chicken casserole in an airtight container in the fridge for 4-5 days.
To Reheat: Microwave individual portions in 30-second intervals until warmed through.
To Freeze: Freeze the chicken filling mixture in a freezer bag for up to 3 months. Do not include the cracker topping. (Be sure to label the bag!)
To Thaw: Allow the casserole filling to thaw in the fridge overnight.
The first time you try any new recipe we recommend that you make it just as it is written on the recipe card since that is how the recipe has been tested. However, the next time you make million dollar chicken bake, you might want to try one of these ideas:
- add a little bit of cayenne pepper or buffalo sauce for some heat
- sprinkle mixed frozen veggies into the filling
- for a lower fat option, use half the cream cheese and low fat sour cream
- Italian seasoning, ranch seasoning, Mediterranean seasoning, or even taco seasoning are a great way to add flavor
- use your favorite fresh herbs to add different flavors - tarragon, basil, thyme, or chives all go well with creamy sauces
- sprinkle 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese on top of the casserole before adding the crunchy topping
- switch out the butter crackers for cheese crackers, chips, or even pork rinds
🍴 Serving Suggestions
Garnish with chopped green onions or parsley and serve hot.
I like to serve it with a light salad topped with Lemon Vinaigrette Salad Dressing or Orange Poppy Seed Dressing. It's also really tasty with Fruit Salad on the side. Here are a few other ideas for easy side dishes:
Find lots more sides to serve with chicken casserole here.
😋 Related Recipes
Next time, try one of these delicious casserole recipes:
- Chicken Noodle Casserole
- Chicken Stuffing Casserole
- Chicken Hashbrown Casserole
- Chicken Bacon Ranch Tater Tot Casserole
- Chicken Broccoli Pasta Bake
Find more casseroles using cream of chicken soup.
Related: This easy Ro-Tel Chicken Spaghetti is our most popular chicken casserole!
Not ready to make this Million Dollar Chicken Casserole yet?
When you do make it, please come back and comment and leave me a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating below!
Million Dollar Chicken Casserole
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 1 8 ounce pkg cream cheese room temperature
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 10.75 ounce can of cream soup, or 2 cups homemade Cream Soup Substitute
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 5 cups leftover chicken
- 1 sleeve buttery crackers crushed
- 4 tablespoons butter melted
- Preheat the oven to 350-F.
- Lightly butter a 9x13 baking dish (or use cooking spray); set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the cream cheese, cottage cheese, sour cream, cream soup, and seasonings.1 8 ounce pkg cream cheese, 1 cup cottage cheese, ½ cup sour cream, 1 10.75 ounce can of cream soup, or 2 cups homemade Cream Soup Substitute, ½ teaspoon garlic powder, ½ teaspoon onion powder
- Mix in the cooked chicken.5 cups leftover chicken
- Spoon the chicken mixture into the prepared baking dish.
- Combine crushed crackers and melted butter.1 sleeve buttery crackers, 4 tablespoons butter
- Sprinkle the buttery ritz cracker topping on top of the casserole evenly.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until hot and bubbly.
For best results, be sure to check our Tips and FAQs above with important tips and questions that can help your delicious recipe come out perfectly.