Mediterranean Chicken Casserole with lots of veggies like zucchini, tomatoes, and peppers, along with tender chicken and farro perfect for meal prepping or a wholesome family dinner.
This is also a great low carb meal option.
I absolutely love making this on a Sunday as meal prep for lunches. It will keep in the fridge for 4-5 days and is such a great way to eat healthy.
Related: Find more low carb recipes here.
Here's what you will need to make this Mediterranean Chicken Casserole:
- olive oil
- crushed tomatoes
- chicken broth
- fresh garlic
- store-bought or homemade Mediterranean seasoning mix
- red bell pepper
- red onion
- kalamata olives
- feta cheese
- fresh parsley (optional)
- salt and pepper
This is meant to be a brief overview of this great recipe. For step-by-step instructions and a full printable recipe card with ingredients, please scroll down to the teal box below or Jump to Recipe.
- Cook the chicken in olive oil. Add garlic and cook 1-2 minutes.
- To a greased casserole dish, add farro, tomatoes, chicken broth, seasoning mixtures, salt and black pepper. Stir to mix.
- Add the chicken mixture on top along with onion, zucchini, bell pepper.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake 40 minutes at 350F.
- Remove the foil, stir the casserole, and add the olives and feta.
- Bake for an additional 10-15 minutes without foil.
- Rest for 10 minutes before serving.
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Here is what you will need to make this easy recipe:
Be sure to check out my Juggling Act Mama Storefront on Amazon where you'll find all kinds of great products to make your life easier! Thanks so much for being a part of Juggling Act Mama ❤
💭 Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some questions (and answers!) readers often ask about this recipe.
Use a mixture of 1 teaspoon each dired oregano and dried basil, plus ¼ teaspoon of red pepper flakes.
Farro is a type of ancient grain that is often found in Mediterranean recipes such as soups and salads. It's a great source of fiber and high in protein.
Couscous is a great option instead of farro. You can also substitue any kind of pasta like orzo, or even cauliflower rice if you're watching your carbs.
✔️ Save time by using shredded chicken, rotisserie chicken, or leftover cooked chicken you have on hand.
✔️ If you don't have fresh garlic on hand, substitute ½ teaspoon garlic powder.
To Store: Leftover Mediterranean Chicken Casserole should be stored in an airtight container in the fridge. It will keep for 3-5 days. (These are my favorite airtight containers.)
To Reheat: Microwave individual portions in 30 second intervals until heated throughout.
To Freeze: Prepare the casserole without the olives and feta. Freeze for 3-4 months.
To Thaw: Thaw overnight in the refrigerator and bake as directed.
✏️ Make Ahead
This easy casserole can be prepared a day ahead of time.
The first time you try any new recipe we recommend that you make it just as it is written on the recipe card since that is how the recipe has been tested. However, the next time you make our recipe, you might want to try one of these ideas:
- Add a small jar of artichoke hearts or sun-dried tomatoes, or a can of white beans. (Be sure to drain first).
- Use roasted red peppers instead of fresh peppers.
- Replace farro withe couscous, cauliflower rice, orzo pasta
- Instead of boneless skinless chicken breasts, use skinless chicken thighs. To save time, you can also use our slow cooker pulled chicken.
- For even more flavor, add fresh basil leaves, fresh thyme, or oregano leaves after baking.
🍴 Serving Suggestions
This is a fabulous all-in-one meal, but you could add a fresh green salad or even these Mediterranean Grilled Vegetables as a side dish. A loaf of crusty white bread or our rosemary focaccia bread are also great with this delicious meal.
😋 Similar Recipes
Next time, try one of these delicious chicken recipes:
And, if you're a fan of mediterranean flavors, you'll also love these recipes:
Related: Find loads of chicken casseroles here.
Not ready to make this Mediterranean Chicken Casserole yet?
When you do make it, please come back and comment and leave me a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating below!
Mediterranean Chicken Casserole
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast, cubed
- kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1½ cups raw farro
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons Mediterranean Spice Blend store-bought or homemade
- 1 yellow onion or red onion diced
- 2 zucchini halved and sliced
- 1 large red bell pepper seeded and diced
- ½ cup Kalamata olives halved
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley to garnish (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350F and grease a large baking dish.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook the chicken in olive oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.2 pounds boneless, 1 tablespoon olive oil, kosher salt and black pepper
- Reduce the heat and add the fresh garlic and cook 1-2 minutes.1 teaspoon minced garlic
- To the prepared casserole dish, add farro, tomatoes, chicken stock, seasoning mix, salt, and black pepper. Stir to combine.1½ cups raw farro, 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes, 1 ½ cup chicken broth, 2 teaspoons Mediterranean Spice Blend, kosher salt and black pepper
- Add the cooked chicken mixture on top along with onion, zucchini, and bell pepper.1 yellow onion or red onion, 2 zucchini, 1 large red bell pepper
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 35-40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and discard the foil.
- Stir the casserole, and then add the olives and feta.½ cup Kalamata olives, ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- Bake for an additional 10-15 minutes.
- Allow the casserole to rest for 10 minutes before serving. Garnish with parsley or other fresh herbs if desired.2 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley
For best results, be sure to check our Tips and FAQs above with important tips and questions that can help your delicious recipe come out perfectly.