Buffalo Chicken Tater Tot Casserole with crispy tater tots, cheesy sauce, and tender chicken is a great meal for the whole family.
My kids love this cheesy tater tots recipe, and I know that when I stick delicious tater tots on top of a casserole, they'll eat it every time! You're going to want to add this recipe to your meal plan. 😍
Easy Buffalo chicken dip with celery sticks is always a huge hit with my family which means this yummy recipe is their favorite tater tot casserole.
Talk about comfort food for the entire family! Our delicious tater tot buffalo chicken casserole is super easy to throw together which makes it a win/win in my book.
- Buffalo chicken, pulled chicken, or rotisserie chicken
- sour cream
- store-bought or homemade cream soup
- Buffalo wing sauce
- shredded cheddar cheese
- frozen tater tots
- chopped celery (optional)
This is meant to be a brief overview of this great recipe. For step-by-step instructions and a full printable recipe card with ingredients, please scroll down to the teal box below or Jump to Recipe.
- In a large bowl, mix together the chicken, sour cream, buffalo sauce, and shredded cheese.
- Mix in the frozen tater tots.
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease a 9x13 casserole dish.
- Transfer the chicken mixture into the prepared pan.
- Top with chopped celery and bake for 40-45 minutes until bubbly.
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Here is what you will need to make this easy recipe:
For a list of some of my favorite items to use when cooking, and why I chose them, please visit my Kitchen Resource page.
Be sure to check out my Juggling Act Mama Storefront on Amazon where you'll find all kinds of great products to make your life easier! Thanks so much for being a part of Juggling Act Mama ❤
To Store: Leftover Buffalo Chicken Tater Tot Casserole should be stored in an airtight container in the fridge. It will keep for 3-5 days. (These are my favorite airtight containers.)
To Reheat: Microwave individual portions in 30-second intervals until heated throughout.
To Freeze: To freeze this casserole, I recommend making it in an aluminum foil pan. Allow it to cool completely and then wrap the casserole in aluminum foil and place it into a 2-gallon freezer bag. Be sure to label it!
To Thaw: Place the frozen casserole into the fridge to thaw overnight.
The first time you try any new recipe we recommend that you make it just as it is written on the recipe card since that is how the recipe has been tested. However, the next time you make our recipe, you might want to try one of these ideas:
- You can use any leftover chicken in this recipe.
- For a gluten-free option, use gluten-free cream soup.
- I use the original buffalo hot sauce but if you like it spicier, you can absolutely make it with another variety.
- If you prefer, you could use colby jack or pepper jack cheeses instead of cheddar.
- For a little extra ranch flavor, add 1 tablespoon of ranch seasoning mix to the sauce mixture.
If you don't have sour cream on hand, you can use cream cheese instead. Check out our free ingredient substitutions printable!
🍴 Serving Suggestions
This buffalo chicken casserole is really tasty with blue cheese crumbles and green onions on top, too. My husband likes to drizzle a little ranch dressing while I like a little extra sour cream. You could add a little blue cheese dressing.
We have loads of recipes for chicken casserole side dishes, but my favorites with this meal are either garlic green beans, or roasted beets.
😋 Similar Recipes
We've got tons of Buffalo chicken recipes! Next time, try one of these delicious recipes:
- Buffalo chicken appetizer
- Instant Pot Buffalo chicken soup
- Buffalo chicken pasta salad
- slow cooker Buffalo chicken mac and cheese
- Buffalo chicken salad
- easy Buffalo chicken pockets
Your family will also love our shepherd's pie with tater tots and tater tot breakfast casserole.
And if you love chicken casseroles, be sure to try our chicken bacon ranch tater tot casserole.
Not ready to make this chicken casserole recipe yet?
When you do make it, please come back and comment and leave me a 5-star rating below! ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Buffalo Chicken Tater Tot Casserole
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 3 cups chopped cooked chicken rotisserie chicken, shredded chicken, or any leftover chicken
- 1 16-oz container sour cream
- 1 10.5-oz can of cream soup, or 2 cups homemade Cream Soup Substitute
- ¼ cup Buffalo Wing Sauce
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 32-oz bag frozen tater tots
- ½ cup chopped celery
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease a 9x13 pan.
- In a large bowl, mix together the ingredients for the sauce.1 16-oz container sour cream, 1 10.5-oz can of cream soup, or 2 cups homemade Cream Soup Substitute, ¼ cup Buffalo Wing Sauce, 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Mix in the chicken and frozen tater tots.1 32-oz bag frozen tater tots, 3 cups chopped cooked chicken
- Transfer the chicken mixture into the prepared pan.
- Top with chopped celery.½ cup chopped celery
- Bake for 40-45 minutes until bubbly.
For best results, be sure to check our Tips and FAQs above with important tips and questions that can help your delicious recipe come out perfectly.
Sign up for our emails and never miss another recipe!!We'll never share your email or send you spam.
Want to add this recipe to your meal plan? Download our free printable meal plan here.
This recipe is included in Meal Plan 15 along with:
- chicken pot pie
- grilled boneless pork chops
- orange mango pops
- beef and broccoli
- grilled lemon garlic chicken
... and more!
Be sure to check out all our meal plan ideas here.
Leave a Reply