Want a go to meal that's easy to make and easy to freeze in batches for later? You'll want to try this savory, delicious Mini Meatballs & Basil Tomato Sauce recipe.
Who doesn't love spaghetti and meatballs? It's a family friendly recipe that you can make in large batches to freeze for later! My Mini Meatballs & Basil Tomato Sauce recipe is sure to get everyone around the table for dinner tonight.
Use our Authentic Italian Meatball Recipe, but roll the meatballs smaller than normal to make them mini meatballs. These are so perfect for kiddos!
The great thing about both these recipes is you can freeze the meatballs for future meals, and even the sauce. Be sure to leave ¼" headroom in pint or quart containers when freezing the sauce.
Usually, when it comes to making sauce and meatballs, this is my husband's area of expertise. He is a third generation Italian-American and very proud of his heritage. Of course, you know me and the kitchen: when I get an idea- stay out of my way!
So this Basil Tomato Sauce recipe is actually adapted from my mother's cousin, and is a favorite of mine. I just love the flavor of basil!
😋 Similar Recipes
- Italian Chicken Meatballs - you'll love these meatballs so much we recommend starting with a double batch to freeze some for later. So good for a quick and easy meal!
- Keto Chicken Meatballs - stay on track with your diet with these yummy chicken meatballs made with low carb ingredients.
Basil Tomato Sauce
Basil Tomato SauceAdd to Your Recipe BoxGo to Collections Print Pin Rate
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 2-3 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- ⅓ cup chopped green pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt rounded
- 2 large cans Italian petite diced tomatoes
- 2 cans 6 oz. tomato paste
- 2 cans 15 oz. tomato sauce
- ¼ to ½ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 ½ tablespoon oregano
- In a dutch oven, heat the oil until very warm. Add the onion and green pepper, and sauté until onions start to soften and yellow. Do not overcook.
- Add all the cans of tomatoes and stir. Add in tomato paste, sugar and seasonings. Mix well and bring to almost a boil.
- Reduce heat and add the mini meatballs.
- Simmer for 3 - 4 hours, stirring frequently. Serve with hot pasta.
For best results, be sure to check our Tips and FAQs above with important tips and questions that can help your delicious recipe come out perfectly.