Want a go to meal that’s easy to make and easy to freeze in batches for later? You’ll want to try this savory, delicious Mini Meatballs & Basil Tomato Sauce recipe.
Who doesn’t love spaghetti and meatballs? It’s a family friendly recipe that you can make in large batches to freeze for later! My Mini Meatballs & Basil Tomato Sauce recipe is sure to get everyone around the table for dinner tonight.
The great thing about both these recipes is you can freeze the meatballs for future meals, and even the sauce. Be sure to leave 1/4″ headroom in pint or quart containers when freezing the sauce.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/4 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix really well but take care not to overmix, which will make the meatballs tough.
- Roll meat into 1" balls.
- Arrange the meatballs on a rack over a foil-lined pan (for easy clean-up).
- Bake in a 400-degrees F oven for about 10 minutes, or until meatballs are browned (you can freeze them at this point if desired).
- Add to Tomato Basil Sauce (recipe below) for extra tender and flavorful meatballs.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?If you try this recipe, I would love to see it and share it! Tag me on IG @jugglingactmama, using the hashtag #jugglingactmama
Usually, when it comes to making sauce and meatballs, this is my husband’s area of expertise. He is a third generation Italian-American and very proud of his heritage. Of course, you know me and the kitchen: when I get an idea- stay out of my way! So this Basil Tomato Sauce recipe is actually adapted from my mother’s cousin, and is a favorite of mine. I just love the flavor of basil!
Basil Tomato Sauce
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt rounded
- 2 large cans Italian petite diced tomatoes
- 2 cans 6 oz. tomato paste
- 2 cans 15 oz. tomato sauce
- ¼ to ½ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 ½ tablespoon oregano
- In a dutch oven, heat the oil until very warm. Add the onion and green pepper, and sauté until onions start to soften and yellow. Do not overcook.
- Add all the cans of tomatoes and stir. Add in tomato paste, sugar and seasonings. Mix well and bring to almost a boil.
- Reduce heat and add the mini meatballs.
- Simmer for 3 - 4 hours, stirring frequently. Serve with hot pasta.