At Home Taco Seasoning - Making your own taco seasoning mix using a combination of cumin, coriander, granulated garlic, onion, and other seasonings is simple, inexpensive and totally delicious!
I'm deep in the trenches of creating my homemade gifts for the holidays. I like making a big batch or two of my own spice blends to share with family and friends. So far, I have extra jars of Mediterranean Seasoning, Homemade Italian Seasoning, and Easy Basil Salt ready to go. I only have one small mason jar of taco seasoning left so it's time to make more!
There's something so wonderfully simple about DIY spice blends. I can't decide which part I like best - knowing exactly what I'm cooking with, or tweaking the recipe until it's just right....
Either way, I've got another tasty one for you today - Homemade Mild Taco Seasoning - forget those packets from the store, two tablespoons of this blend and you won't use another packet ever again! And it's not just for tacos - use it in chili with ground beef, enchiladas or anything that needs a little Mexican flavor.
I never buy taco seasoning packets from the grocery store anymore. I love this seasoning blend so much that I always have it in my spice cabinet! Give it a try and I think you will, too.
This is a small batch that makes about 1-¾ cups.
Here are the items you'll need to make your own seasoning mix. I like to purchase my seasonings and herb in bulk.
- onion powder
- granulated garlic
- ground cumin
- Kosher salt
- black pepper
- fried oregano
- chili powder - NOT cayenne pepper
This is meant to be a brief overview of the homemade taco seasoning mix recipe. For step-by-step instructions and a full recipe card with ingredients, please scroll down to the teal box below or Jump to Recipe.
- Measure all your herbs and spices carefully.
- Gently whisk the blend of spices together to combine.
- Using a funnel if needed, spoon the mixture into an airtight container - I like to use mason jars.
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Here is what you will need to make this diy taco seasoning:
Be sure to check out my Juggling Act Mama Storefront on Amazon where you'll find all kinds of great products to make your life easier! Thanks so much for being a part of Juggling Act Mama ❤
How to use this Taco Mix
Use this in recipes just like you would use any store-bought taco or fajita mix! For example, I use about 2-3 tablespoons for a pound of meat.
If your recipe calls for a packet of taco seasoning mix, you can just quickly do this math: 1 ounce equals 2 tablespoons.
You can also stir it into sour cream for a quick dip or sprinkle it into Mexican rice for added flavor.
The first time you try any new recipe we recommend that you make it just as it is written on the recipe card since that is how the homemade taco seasoning recipe has been tested. However, the next time you make our recipe, you might want to try one of these ideas:
- This recipe will create a nice mild seasoning mix. For a more spicy seasoning, you can add a pinch of cayenne and/or red pepper flake. A little bit goes a long way!
- I like the smokiness from the cumin and coriander, but you can make it even smokier by adding 1-2 teaspoons smoked paprika if you like.
Not ready to make this easy homemade seasoning yet? When you do make it, please come back and comment and leave me a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating below!
Homemade Taco Seasoning
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 2 tablespoons coriander
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons oregano
- 1 cup chili powder
- Gently whisk the spices together to combine, and spoon into an airtight container. This mix will last up to six months.
- [If you like things a little spicier, (like my sister Kate), try adding 2 tablespoons of red pepper flakes, and 1 tablespoon of paprika.]
For best results, be sure to check our Tips and FAQs above with important tips and questions that can help your delicious recipe come out perfectly.