At Home Taco Seasoning - Making your own taco seasoning mix using a combination of cumin, coriander, granulated garlic, onion, and other seasonings is simple, inexpensive and totally delicious!
I'm deep in the trenches of creating my homemade gifts for the holidays. Along with my in-editable gifts (some of my most popular are the Coconut Sugar Scrub, DIY Scented Bath Salts, and Gardener's Soap), I'm working on some tasty items, too, like the Basil Salt I shared last week.
There's something so wonderfully simple about DIY spice blends. I can't decide which part I like best - knowing exactly what I'm cooking with, or tweaking the recipe until it's just right....
Either way, I've got another tasty one for you today - Homemade Mild Taco Seasoning - forget those packets from the store, two tablespoons of this blend and you won't use another packet ever again! And it's not just for tacos - use it in chili, enchiladas or anything that needs a little Mexican flavor.
Taco Seasoning Ingredients:
Here are the items you'll need to make your own seasoning mix. I like to purchase my seasonings and herb in bulk.
- onion powder
- granulated garlic
- Kosher salt
- black pepper
- fried oregano
- chili powder - NOT cayenne pepper
This will create a nice mild seasoning mix. If you like things a little hotter, you can add a pinch of cayenne and/or red pepper flake.
I like the smokiness from the cumin and coriander, but you can make it even smokier by adding 1-2 teaspoons smoked paprika if you like.
How do you make homemade taco seasoning?
- Measure all your herbs and spices carefully.
- Gently whisk the spices together to combine.
- Using a funnel if needed, spoon the mixture into an airtight container - I like to use mason jars.
How to use this Taco Mix
Use this in recipes just like you would use any store-bought taco or fajita mix!
At Home Taco Seasoning Recipe
Homemade Taco Seasoning
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Mason Jars
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 2 tablespoons coriander
- 1 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons oregano
- 1 cup chili powder
- Gently whisk the spices together to combine, and spoon into an airtight container. This mix will last up to six months.
- [If you like things a little spicier, (like my sister Kate), try adding 2 tablespoons of red pepper flakes, and 1 tablespoon of paprika.]