Chicken Taco Casserole only takes 15 minutes to prep and feeds a crowd! This Mexican casserole with tender chicken, crunchy tortilla chips, and gooey cheese, is a fun twist on taco night.
You're going to want to add this chicken casserole recipe to your meal plan!
It's one of my favorite recipes to make because it's quick and easy - and totally delicious of course!
Because we're using tortilla chips instead of flour tortillas, this recipe is also low carb so it's a great option that the entire family can enjoy together.
This is meant to be a brief overview of this great recipe. For step-by-step instructions and a full printable recipe card with ingredients, please scroll down to the teal box below or Jump to Recipe.
- In a large bowl, combine the cream soup, sour cream, diced tomatoes and chilies, black beans, taco seasoning, and chicken.
- Lightly grease a 9x13 casserole dish. Add about a third of the crushed chips to the bottom of the pan.
- Spoon half of the chicken mixture over the top of the chips.
- Add another layer of chips and the remaining chicken mixture.
- Sprinkle with cheese and the remaining chips.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 350F until hot and bubbly.
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Be sure to check out my Juggling Act Mama Storefront on Amazon where you'll find all kinds of great products to make your life easier! Thanks so much for being a part of Juggling Act Mama ❤
To Store: Leftover Chicken Taco Casserole should be stored in an airtight container in the fridge. This casserole is best eaten immediately, because of the crunchy chips on top, however, it will last in the fridge for 3-4 days.
To Reheat: Microwave individual portions in 30 second intervals until heated throughout.
Because of the chips in this recipe, I do not recommend freezing this casserole.
The first time you try any new recipe we recommend that you make it just as it is written on the recipe card since that is how the Chicken Taco Casserole recipe has been tested. However, the next time you make our recipe, you might want to try one of these ideas:
- This recipe can also be made with ground chicken or chopped chicken breasts.
- You can add additional veggies like diced bell pepper.
- Swap out the can of black beans for pinto beans or kidney beans.
- If you're not a fan of cheddar cheese, swap it out for a blend of shredded Mexican cheese instead.
Out of something you need? Check out our free ingredient substitutions printable!
🍴 Serving Suggestions
It's delicious with a little bit of pickled red onion, sliced black olives, or chopped green onions on top, too.
You can also add a drizzle of green enchilada sauce on top.
For more ideas, chicken this post on what to serve with chicken casserole.
😋 Similar Recipes
We hope you love this Chicken Taco Casserole recipe! Next time, try one of these delicious recipes:
- chicken broccoli pasta bake
- buffalo chicken tater tot casserole
- chicken pasta bake
- rotel chicken spaghetti
- slow cooker beef enchiladas
And if you love easy casserole recipes, check out this collection of casseroles using cream of chicken soup.
Related: 45+ Easy Weeknight Meal Ideas
When you do make it, please come back and comment and leave me a 5-star rating below! ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Chicken Taco Casserole Recipe
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 2 10.5oz can of cream soup, or 2 cups homemade Cream Soup Substitute
- 1½ cups sour cream
- 1 14oz can diced tomatoes with green chilis - such as Ro-tel
- 1 15oz can black beans rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons store-bought or homemade taco seasoning
- 4 cups shredded chicken
- 1 13oz bag tortilla chips crushed and divided
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese divided
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Grease a 9x13 baking dish. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the cream soup, sour cream, diced tomatoes and chilies, black beans, taco seasoning, and chicken.2 10.5oz can of cream soup, or 2 cups homemade Cream Soup Substitute, 1½ cups sour cream, 1 14oz can diced tomatoes with green chilis - such as Ro-tel, 1 15oz can black beans, 2 tablespoons store-bought or homemade taco seasoning, 4 cups shredded chicken
- In the bottom of the prepared baking dish, add about a third of the crushed chips to the bottom of the pan.1 13oz bag tortilla chips
- Spoon half the chicken mixture over the top of the chips and add a layer of cheese.2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Add another layer of chips and the remaining chicken mixture.1 13oz bag tortilla chips
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese and the remaining chips.2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, 1 13oz bag tortilla chips
- Bake for 30 minutes at until hot and bubbly. Serve immediately.
For best results, be sure to check our Tips and FAQs above with important tips and questions that can help your delicious recipe come out perfectly.
Want to add this recipe to your meal plan? Download our free printable meal plan here.
Be sure to check out all our meal plan ideas here.