This Chopped Salad Recipe is a cinch to make and packed full of big bold flavors, especially when topped with homemade Southwest Chipotle Dressing!
Finding delicious dinner ideas sometimes feels like a full time job in itself. (I guess as a food blogger, it is kind of my job!) I made this Chopped Salad Recipe the other day for Mr. Juggling Act and it was a huge hit. It doesn’t matter what kind and long as they are loaded with lots of tasty toppings. (Although it should be said that he’s not a big fan of what he calls “frou-frou lettuce.”) This easy salad has all the great flavors he loves in one delicious bowl. When he came home from work and saw this on the table, his eyes lit up!
Some of the items below contain affiliate links; I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. However, I only promote things that I love and think you will love, too. For more information, please see our Disclosure Policy.
Chopped Salad Recipe Shopping List
- chicken breasts
- fajita seasoning mix
- green, red, yellow and orange bell peppers
- red and orange grape tomatoes
- ripe avocado
- black beans
- corn kernels
Southwest Chipotle Dressing Shopping List
- fresh cilantro (optional)
Items You May Also Need:
For a list of some of my favorite items to use when cooking, please visit my Kitchen Resource page.
Delicious Chopped Salad Recipe + Southwest Chipotle Dressing
There’s so many great flavors here with the cucumbers, tomatoes, avocado, corn and black beans. It is topped with grilled chicken and my Southwest Chipotle Dressing. And it is so very good. Sure it’s just a salad, but it’s a salad that eats like a hearty meal. It’s loaded up with protein so it will keep you full longer.
Southwest Chopped Chicken Salad
- 3 chicken breasts
- 3 tablespoons fajita seasoning mix
- 4 cups of your favorite greens
- 1/2 each of a green, red, yellow and orange bell peppers, chopped
- 1/2 European cucumber chopped
- 1 cup red and orange grape tomatoes halved
- 1 avocado
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 cup black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- juice of 1 lime
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle chile
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- fresh cilantro optional
- Season the chicken breast with the fajita seasoning mix and grill 5-6 minutes per side. Set aside while you assemble the salad.
- In a large bowl, combine the greens, bell peppers, cucumbers, and tomatoes.
- In a small bowl, add the flesh of the avocado. Squeeze the lime juice over all of the avocado and toss to coat.
- Add the avocado to the salad. Chop the chicken and add that to the salad. Serve immediately with Southwest Chipotle Dressing.
For the Dressing
- In a small bowl, whisk together the ingredients until combined. Store left overs in the refrigerator in a mason jar.
- If you enjoy cilantro, you can add it to the dressing (or the salad).
If you’re a salad lover, you’ll adore the bold flavors in this chopped salad recipe. It’s hearty enough to eat as a meal, and you won’t be snooping around the kitchen for a snack a half hour later! I hope you’ll give it a try soon!
Chopped Salad Recipe Variation
Because we test all our recipes, we recommend that you make them once just as it is without substitutions or changes. Sometimes variations can go awry. Making slow cooker beef and broccoli recipe as we have tested it will yield the best results. If you really want to get creative, here are some ideas for variations that might work well. (Please note, we have not tested these variations).
- For an Italian Chopped Salad Recipe:
- Use our Italian seasoning on the chicken breasts before grilling
- Swap out thinly sliced red onions and black olives for the the beans, corn and avocado
- Add a drizzle of balsamic dressing and extra virgin olive oil. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.