You can make restaurant-quality guacamole at home with this Simple Homemade Guacamole recipe. Your next Taco Tuesday will be a hit!
I have a confession, I love the guacamole I get when I hit my favorite Mexican restaurant, but let's be honest, I can't eat out every night.
There's something so yummy about creamy avocados with fresh lime juice.
I knew that I had to try and recreate it at home and so, my simple homemade guacamole recipe was born! It doesn't matter if it's taco night or any other Mexican food, I love serving this guacamole dip. It's great on tacos, waffle fry nachos, cowboy cornbread casserole, and more!
- ripe fresh avocados
- red onion
- tomato (optional)
- fresh garlic
- lime juice
- hot pepper sauce
from the pantry: salt and fresh ground black pepper
This is meant to be a brief overview of our simple homemade gigamole recipe. For step-by-step instructions and a full printable recipe card with ingredients, please scroll down to the teal box below or Jump to Recipe.
- Cut the avocados in half and remove the pits. Scoop the flesh out of their shells and give them a quick chop.
- Add them into a large bowl. Toss with the lime juice immediately.
- Add in the hot pepper sauce, onion, garlic and tomatoes.
- Mix well and season with salt and pepper.
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
It really is that easy to have homemade guacamole at your house so skip the drive-through or the local Mexican place and enjoy this instead. Pair it with your favorite tortilla chips and you've got a great game day snack too! (Bonus tip: It would make a delicious added layer to my Layered Taco Dip.)
Be sure to check out my Juggling Act Mama Storefront on Amazon where you'll find all kinds of great products to make your life easier! Thanks so much for being a part of Juggling Act Mama ❤
Like all our recipes, we suggest that you follow the instructions as they're written on our recipe card since that's the way we have tested the recipe. Next time you make it, consider some of these options:
While authentic guacamole recipes include fresh cilantro, I do not add cilantro to my guacamole because I don't like it. However, if you're a fan, go ahead and chop some up!
Many people do not add tomatoes to their guac, but we really enjoy it this way. You can make it with or without. 🙂
This is a savory, chunky restaurant-style guacamole, but you can always make it more smooth if that's what your family prefers, although I recommend omitting the tomatoes if you do.
To make your own guacamole spicier, add one small jalapeno pepper, finely diced.
💭 Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some questions (and answers!) readers often ask about making our simple guacamole recipe.
Yes, lemon juice can be used as a substitute for lime juice if needed.
Many recipes call for sweet white onions for guacamole. This recipe uses red onions. Most onions will work, it's up to you!
Not at all! Avocados are full of good for you fats.
It should be firm but give a little when squeezed gently.
Place them in a brown paper bag and check them daily for ripeness.
You can, but it won't taste the same. Unripe avocados tend to be bitter.
YES! While some people love cilantro, I am not one of them. This recipe does not include cilantro.
However, you could add chopped fresh parsley if you like.
🍴 Serving Suggestions
Let's face it, I could eat guacamole with just a spoon, but there are SO many ways to use it. Of course, you can serve it with tortilla chips and even carrot or celery sticks while you sip on a Berry Margarita Recipe.
Want to take taco night to the next level? Make a fun taco board with all your favorite taco fixings like ground beef taco meat, salsa, cheese, sour cream, and of course, this guacamole!
😋 Similar Recipes
Need more homemade dip ideas for your game day get-together? Check out the dips below.
- Nacho Skillet Dip - ground beef and peppers in a creamy cheese dip with chips - so good!
- Make Ahead Buffalo Chicken Dip - classic game day snack made with chicken, cream cheese and hot sauce.
- S'mores Skillet Dip - dessert dip with marshmallows and chocolate is perfect with graham crackers to dip.
📋 Homemade Guacamole
Not ready to make our easy guacamole recipe yet? Don’t forget to pin this recipe for later!
When you do make it, please be sure to tag me on Instagram @jugglingactmama or #jugglingactmama – I’d love to see your pictures! And finally, if you get a chance, please comment and leave me a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating below!
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 4 ripe avocados
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice 1-2 limes
- 8 dashes hot pepper sauce
- ½ cup small-diced red onion 1 small onion
- 1 large garlic clove minced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 medium tomato seeded, and small-diced
- Cut the avocados in half and remove the pits. Scoop the flesh out of their shells and give them a quick chop. Add them into a large bowl. Toss with the lime juice immediately.
- Add in the hot pepper sauce, onion, garlic and tomatoes. Mix well and season with salt and pepper.
For best results, be sure to check our Tips and FAQs above with important tips and questions that can help your delicious recipe come out perfectly.