Flavorful cast iron skillet seared strip steak is the base for our Steak Taco Recipe.
Our strip steak taco recipe, served with homemade guacamole is a favorite Mexican dish that you can easily make at home. They're perfect for an easy family dinner, or double it for a crowd!
I just love cooking with my cast iron skillet. It's so versatile and can even go from the stovetop to the oven in a flash if needed. Now a cast iron pan might not be the first thing you think of when I say I'm making tacos, right? But these aren't any old boring tacos, these are strip steak tacos!
Get your pan super hot, and then don't fuss with the meat while it cooks. Searing the strip steak in the cast iron skillet means you're going to have uber flavorful meat for your tacos. This steak taco recipe doesn't call for tons of seasoning because when you cook and slice this right, you'll get deliciously caramelized and tender pieces of meat.
What Kind of Steak for is Good for Tacos?
As you may know, strip steak is a very lean, very tender cut of meat. This cut comes from a muscle that does very little work. The less fatty the meat, the more tender it will be. That's why I love making this steak taco recipe with strip steak, the meat is so tender! You could also use flank or skirt steaks.
How To Cut Against the Grain:
- Find the direction of the grain (which way the muscle fibers of the meat are all going).
- Using a good knife, slice across the grain rather than parallel with it.
- Strip Steak
- Olive Oil
- Seasoned Salt
- Black Pepper
- Soft Tortillas
- Sour Cream
- Shredded Cheese
- Shredded Lettuce
- Diced Tomatoes
- Sliced Red Onion
If you need to feed a crowd, you can't go wrong with steak tacos. They are a perfect main meal at your game day party or Cinco de Mayo fiesta. The best part is that everyone can customize their taco with their favorite toppings! Whip up a batch Strawberry Margaritas to round out the celebration.
- Cast Iron Skillet - (I use this 10-¾" one)
- Good Knife
- Cutting Board
- Personally, I can't stand cilantro, so if you're like me, just omit it. Instead, make the marinade with fresh parsley.
- For a smoky flavor, add 1 teaspoon of ground cumin to the marinade.
- If you're a garlic lover, add 2 cloves minced garlic to the marinade.
Cast Iron Skillet Care
- Season your cast iron skillet by putting on the stove over high heat until it is super hot. Carefully rub vegetable or canola oil all over the pan and then let it cool before storing.
- Clean your pan with soap and water and then dry immediately, or re-season as needed.
- Never let your cast iron pan soak in water because it will rust and need to be scrubbed, then re-seasoned.
What is Cinco de Mayo?
Cinco de Mayo (May 5th) is not Mexico's independence day as many in the US believe. It's the anniversary of The Battle of Puebla, where Mexican troops defeated the French on May 5, 1862. (Mexico observes their independence day, or "Día de la Independencia" on September 16th because on that date in 1810, a revolt against the Spaniards began.)
In Mexico, this minor holiday is celebrated more in the Pubela region since that's where the battle took place. Citizens in this region especially celebrate with a parade and piñatas, along with traditional food, music and dance.
In America, of course, Cinco de Mayo has become an excuse - albeit a tasty one - to eat Mexican food like these steak tacos and drink margaritas. Interestingly enough, tequila is not the most popular drink in Mexico - it's actually agua fresco.
- BBQ Chicken Tacos Recipe from Juggling Act Mama
- Grilled Shrimp Tacos Recipe from Bowl Me Over
- Baja Tacos Recipe from Juggling Act Mama
- Roasted Cauliflower Tacos from Spend With Pennies
- Cilantro Lime Chicken Tacos from Juggling Act Mama
Add Mr. Juggling Act's favorite Homemade Guacamole to this Steak Taco Recipe - it's like heaven on a plate!
You also might like one of these delicious salsa recipes:
With these recipes for Taco Bar Side Dishes, you'll have everything you need to make your next taco night a success. From Mexican rice to many different types of salsa, you'll find a yummy idea or two here.
Strip Steak Tacos
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 1-2 Strip steak 16 oz total
- ⅓ cup Cilantro chopped (substitute parsley if you prefer)
- 2 tablespoon Olive oil
- 1 Jalapeno seeds removed and finely chopped
- 2 Limes juiced
- 1-2 teaspoons Seasoned Salt
- Black pepper to taste
- Condiments such as Sour cream shredded cheese, shredded lettuce, guacamole
- 1. Be sure the meat is at room temperature before you begin
- 2. In a small bowl, combine the cilantro, oil, lime juice, and jalapeno
- 3. Season the steak with seasoned salt and pepper
- 4. On a plate, cover the steak on both side with the cilantro marinade. Let sit for 10 minutes
- 5. In a cast iron skillet, place a tiny bit of oil, and heat the pan very hot
- 6. Place the steak in the pan and do not move it for 3 ½ minutes. Flip the steak and cook for another 3 ½ minutes.
- 7. Remove the steak from the pan and let it rest for 5 minutes.
- 8. Slice the steak in thin slices on the diagonal against the grain. Lay in the center of a tortilla and garnish with preferred toppings.
For best results, be sure to check our Tips and FAQs above with important tips and questions that can help your delicious recipe come out perfectly.