This moist delicious Apple Carrot Bread with lemon glaze is absolutely incredible! If you like quick bread recipes that are outside the box (like our Banana Bread with Chocolate Chips and Coconut) then you're going to love this recipe.
If you like carrot cake then you're going to absolutely love this apple carrot bread. Not only is this bread super moist, but it is full of amazing spices, too.
Because this recipe uses a combination of both grated carrots and grated apples, along with apple sauce and sour cream so it has the most incredible texture.
Unlike our apple streusel bread, which has a brown sugar and oat, topping, this recipe includes a thick lemon glaze which you can omit if you prefer.
While Pumpkin Bread is super popular in the Fall, this carrot apple bread is really great and the perfect way to celebrate apple season.
- All-purpose flour
- Whole wheat flour
- Granulated Sugar
- Baking powder
- Ground Cardamom
- Ground Cinnamon
- Ground Nutmeg
- Ground Allspice
- Sour cream
- Vegetable oil
- Unsweetened Applesauce
- Vanilla Extract
This is meant to be a brief overview of the apple carrot bread recipe. For step-by-step instructions and a full printable recipe card with ingredients, please scroll down to the teal box below or Jump to Recipe.
- Preheat the oven to 350F and grease two loaf pans.
- Grate the carrot and apple; set aside.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Beat the eggs in another bowl, then add the rest of the wet ingredients.
- Combine the dry and wet ingredients; fold in the carrot and apple.
- Combine all the ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- When the mixture is smooth, carefully spread the batter evenly into each prepared loaf pan and bake for 50-55 minutes.
- Turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
Combine 2 cups of confectioner's sugar with about 3-½ teaspoons of lemon juice and 1 teaspoon of lemon zest. Then I drizzled the glaze of over the loaf after it had cooled completely.
If you wanted to play up the apple flavor, you could substitute apple juice for the lemon juice.
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
You can use an electric mixer or a hand mixer for this recipe, however, it's fine to mix it by hand also.
Be sure to check out my Juggling Act Mama Storefront on Amazon where you'll find all kinds of great products to make your life easier! Thanks so much for being a part of Juggling Act Mama ❤
We recommend that you follow this recipe as it is written since variations can sometimes go awry. However, if you want to get creative, here are a couple of ideas for next time (please note, we have not tested these different ways to make carrot apple bread).
- Substitute the vegetable oil for coconut oil.
- As long as you use a total of 2 cups of grated apple and carrot, you can modify the amount of apple and carrot are needed.
- You could use less of the grated carrot or apple and add grated zucchini.
- If you do not have whole wheat flour, you can use an additional half cup of all purpose flour. Almond flour can be substituted for all purpose flour 1:1.
- If you prefer, you can make a sweet cream cheese frosting to go on top of the bread instead of the lemon glaze. To make a cream cheese glaze, simply thin out your frosting by adding your favorite milk.
- This recipe can be made with shredded zucchini instead of carrot also for a delicious carrot zucchini bread.
- Start with the eggs, sour cream, apple, and carrots at room temperature.
- Fresh apples contain a lot of moisture. Use a paper towel to sop up the excess liquid.
- Do not overmix the batter.
- If you prefer, you can use parchment paper to line the loaf pans.
Store your apple carrot loaf in an airtight container in the fridge for 4-5 days.(These are my favorite airtight containers.)
Since this makes two very large loaves, it's well worth freezing one of the loaves for later. You can wrap it in plastic wrap and tuck it into a gallon-sized freezer bag, or just double freezer bag it. (Note, add the glaze to the thawed loaf for best results).
😋 Similar Recipes
I absolutely love quick breads. It's similar to muffins but without having to grease or line all those little cups! If you like this apple carrot bread, give my Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread and Sweet Potato Bread a try too! You can even add in a little grated carrot if you don't have enough zucchini. And be sure to try my Apple Spice Bundt Cake as well.
Here are some other quick bread recipes you might enjoy:
Related: 55+ Delicious Apple Recipes for Fall
📋 Apple Carrot Bread
Not ready to make this yummy quick bread yet? Don’t forget to pin the recipe for later! When you do make it, please be sure to tag me on Instagram @jugglingactmama or #jugglingactmama – I’d love to see your pictures! And finally, if you get a chance, please comment and leave me a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating below!
Apple Carrot Bread
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Loaf pans
For the bread:
- 1 cup carrot grated fine
- 1 cup apple grated fine
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- 1-¼ cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cardamom
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 cup sour cream
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup applesauce
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
For the Lemon Glaze:
- 2 cups confectioner's sugar
- 3½ teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Grate the carrot and set aside. Then pulse the peeled apple in the food processor, and add to the carrots.1 cup carrot, 1 cup apple
- Preheat the oven to 350-degrees and grease two loaf pans.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.2 cups all-purpose flour, ½ cup whole wheat flour, 1-¼ cups sugar, 2 teaspoons baking powder, 1 teaspoon cardamom, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1 teaspoon nutmeg, 1 teaspoon allspice
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs, then mix in the remaining wet ingredients.1 cup sour cream, ½ cup vegetable oil, ½ cup applesauce, 4 eggs, 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Combine the dry and wet ingredients. Gently fold in the carrot and apple.
- When the mixture is smooth, carefully spread the batter into the prepared pans and bake for 50-55 minutes.
- Turn out onto a cooling rack.
- When cool, drizzle with lemon glaze.2 cups confectioner's sugar, 3½ teaspoon lemon juice, 1 teaspoon lemon zest
For best results, be sure to check our Tips and FAQs above with important tips and questions that can help your delicious recipe come out perfectly.