If you love my Old Fashioned Sweet Potato Bread recipe, you'll love this pumpkin bread recipe.
Pumpkin Bread is a hot seller in our house - even Ethan clamors to get a slice when I make it! But after a while, even this Mama gets tired of making the same ole' bread so I thought I'd switch it up a bit and began browsing online for a suitable recipe.
Then I stumbled upon this Down East Maine Pumpkin Bread. I wasn't born in Maine and don't live there now, but I'll always consider myself a Mainer at heart since I grew up there. I knew I had to give this awesome recipe a try, with a few classic Juggling Act Mama twists!
This great old Maine recipe meets all my must-haves for quick breads - it's delicious, easy-to-make, and freezes wonderfully.
- canned pumpkin puree (or make your own pumpkin puree)
- vegetable oil
- vanilla extract
- apple sauce
- granulated sugar
- all-purpose flour
- baking soda
- ground cinnamon
- ground nutmeg
- ground cloves
- ground ginger
- brown sugar
- unsalted butter
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
- Be sure to purchase pure pumpkin puree and NOT pumpkin pie filling.
- Using unsalted butter in the streusel topping allows you more control over the amount of salt. However you can use salted butter, just do not add more salt to the crumb topping.
Store bread in an airtight container. It can be kept at room temperature or in the fridge.
Downeast pumpkin bread freezes great! Once the bread is completely cooled, place it into a resealable freezer bag. Label and store for 1-3 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight.
😋 Similar Recipes
If you love pumpkin, you'll want to check out these other delicious recipes:
- No Bake Pumpkin Cheesecake Cups
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bars
- Creamy Pumpkin Hot Cocoa
- Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls with Cream Cheese Icing
- Pumpkin Cheesecake Truffles
Related: Delicious Pumpkin Recipes
Add a cup of chocolate chips or chopped nuts into the batter, or sprinkle it over the top of the loaf in place of the oat topping.
If you have pumpkin pie spice, you can add 3 teaspoons instead of the individual spices.
More Quick Bread Recipes
I love making easy quick bread for my family. It's less work than muffins, and stays fresher longer, in my humble opinion! Here are a few of my go-to- recipe favorites:
Not ready to make this great pumpkin bread recipe yet?
When you do make it, please come back and comment and leave me a 5-star rating below! ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Downeast Maine Pumpkin Bread
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 15 ounces pumpkin puree or just shy of 2 cups fresh pumpkin puree
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup apple sauce
- ⅔ cup water
- 3 cups white sugar
- 3 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
Cinnamon Streusel Topping
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup brown sugar packed
- ½ stick unsalted butter
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350F-degrees. Grease and flour three bread pans and set them aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients.3 ½ cups all-purpose flour, 2 teaspoon baking soda, 1 ½ teaspoon salt
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs, then whisk together the rest of the wet ingredients, sugar, and spices.15 ounces pumpkin puree, 4 eggs, ½ cup vegetable oil, ½ cup apple sauce, ⅔ cup water, 3 cups white sugar, 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg, ½ teaspoon ground cloves, ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- Stir in the flour mixture a little at a time into the pumpkin mixture until well combined.
- Divide the batter evenly into the prepared pans.
- Then, in a small bowl use a fork to combine the butter with the flour, brown sugar and cinnamon until it resembles a coarse meal. Sprinkle over the top of your loaves, gently pressing the mixture into the top of the bread.½ cup all-purpose flour, ¼ cup brown sugar, ½ stick unsalted butter, ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Bake for 50-minutes in the preheated oven until the loaves are slightly browned on the edges and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Gently turn out onto a wire rack so you don’t lose all the yummy topping.
For best results, be sure to check our Tips and FAQs above with important tips and questions that can help your delicious recipe come out perfectly.