If you like pumpkin spice, you're going to love these Pumpkin Cheesecake Truffles! They are a deliciously decadent treat perfect for Fall, and great for Thanksgiving!
Pumpkin is one of my most favorite Fall flavors. (Though I will gladly eat a batch of my Oreo Truffle Balls around the holidays!) Say what you will about the over-commercialization of it, but you cannot deny that it's a good flavor combination in the right foods!
These Pumpkin Cake Balls are perfect for showcasing the pumpkin spice flavors. It is a semi-homemade recipe that looks and tastes impressive.
Taking a bite of these pumpkin cheesecake truffles is an experience! The crack of the white chocolate as you take a bite, along with the dense texture of the spice cake and cream cheese frosting with the pumpkin puree in the middle makes for one amazing treat!
It's sweet and creamy and full of those warm Fall spices all at the same time. Using pumpkin puree with cream cheese, instead of frosting, means that these pumpkin cake balls aren't too sweet. It's just the right combination of Fall flavors!
You only need a few simple ingredients to make these delicious pumpkin pie cheesecake balls:
- boxed pumpkin spice cake mix - if you can't find pumpkin flavor, you can use regular spice cake mix.
- real pumpkin puree (canned is fine, or you can make your own homemade pumpkin puree)
- cream cheese
- half and half
- chocolate or Vanilla Melting Wafers (such as Ghirardelli), almond bark, or Candy Melts
- ground cinnamon, crushed graham crackers, gingersnap crumbs, sprinkles, etc.
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
- Stand Mixer
- Medium Cookie Scoop
- Measuring Spoons and Dry Measuring Cups
- Baking Sheet lined with Parchment Paper (to set the dipped pumpkin cake balls onto)
- I find that Candy Dipping Tools can be very helpful and are worth the small investment if you do a lot of chocolate chipping. You can also just use a large fork.
- I love this 3-Piece Glass Mixing Bowl Set - the smallest (1 quart) bowl is perfect for melting chocolate.
- Use a spoonula like the one in this Silicone Spatula Set to mix the chocolate.
Be sure to check out my Juggling Act Mama Storefront on Amazon where you'll find all kinds of great products to make your life easier! Thanks so much for being a part of Juggling Act Mama ❤
This is meant to be a brief overview of the pumpkin cake balls recipe. For step-by-step instructions and a full printable recipe card with ingredients, please scroll down to the teal box below or Jump to Recipe.
This recipe makes about 48-50 cake balls. Here's how to make luscious Pumpkin Cream Cheese Cake Truffles:
How to Make Cake Balls
- Prepare and bake the cake according to the directions on the box for a 9x13 cake. Let the cake cool completely.
- Add the cream cheese, half and half, and pumpkin puree to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Beat the ingredients until the come together.
- Next, slice the cake into 10 pieces. With the mixer on the lowest setting, drop the cake pieces into the mixer with the pumpkin cream cheese mixture one at a time. Take care not to overmix. You want the mixture to just come together. The mixture should be similar in texture to playdough.
- Scoop 1-inch balls of the pumpkin cake mixture. I use a cookie scoop.
- Roll the mixture between your palms to make it into a round ball.
- Set the pumpkin balls on a parchment-lined rimmed baking sheet. (You can also use wax paper).
How to Dip Cake Balls in Chocolate
- Melt the chocolate according to the directions on the package in a medium microwave-safe bowl, or over a double boiler.
- Using a chocolate dipping tool or fork, dip the cake ball into the chocolate.
- Gently tap the fork against the side of the bowl to allow the excess chocolate to drip off.
- Using a toothpick, gently slide the cake balls off the fork onto the parchment paper. Sprinkle with ground cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, crushed graham crackers, sprinkles, or add a drizzle of chocolate on top. Repeat until all the cake balls have been dipped.
- Refrigerate the pumpkin cake truffles for 1 hour to allow the chocolate to harden. Serve chilled.
- Be sure to pick up the right can! Buy pure pumpkin puree and NOT pumpkin pie filling. You can also make your own pumpkin puree.
- Carefully read the instructions on the back of the melting chocolate or candy melt package before you begin.
- Always handle the hot bowl and the chocolate with care. These are very hot when melted. Take extra care supervising children around hot melted chocolate.
- Work quickly because the chocolate becomes more difficult to handle as it cools.
- If the chocolate seizes up and won't melt smoothly, toss it. There's no way to save it, unfortunately.
Thanksgiving Make Ahead Tip
I love that these pumpkin pie cheesecake balls are easy enough to make ahead I make the cake and roll all the cake balls a couple of days ahead. They'll keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator. The dipping process can take a little time but don't worry, this can also be done 1 day ahead of time.
To make no bake pumpkin cheesecake balls, use store-bought pumpkin bread, pumpkin muffins, or pumpkin cake.
- Traditionally cake balls like these are made with some type of frosting. If you prefer not to use cream cheese, you could use canned vanilla frosting, however, leave out the half-and-half since frosting isn't as thick as cream cheese.
- Mascarpone cheese (the same sweet cream used in tiramisu desserts) is also a great substitution instead of cream cheese.
- This recipe can be made with pumpkin bread instead of pumpkin spice cake. The ratios will be a little different so I suggest adding about three-quarters of a loaf and then checking your consistency before continuing.
- Use lollipop stick (or cake pop sticks) to make cake pops instead of pumpkin balls.
- Instead of white or dark chocolate you can use orange candy melts. While I prefer candy melts, you can also use white chocolate chips and a tiny bit of coconut oil for the coating chocolate.
- You can even use a toothpick to help shape the balls into pumpkin shape before dipping.
🍴 Serving Suggestions
Serve these pumpkin spice cake balls with our Creamy Pumpkin Hot Cocoa for a rich and luscious treat! The cocoa and cake balls really complement one another and make a really elegant after-dinner sweet treat. (For the grown-ups, add a splash of Grand Marnier or Amaretto to your pumpkin hot cocoa - it's delicious!)
Pumpkin cheesecake truffles are a lovely addition to your Thanksgiving dessert table, too! This recipe makes a great big batch, so it's perfect to divide if you have a couple of stops on Thanksgiving day.
These cheesecake bites are also perfect for your Halloween Charcuterie Board!
The pumpkin spice cake balls are best the first 1-3 days you make them, but they will keep in the refrigerator about a week once they are dipped.
I recommend putting them in an airtight container, not a plastic bag. You don't want to cover them with plastic wrap either. The chocolate coating is best when it is not touching anything.
Related: Oreo Balls
😋 Similar Recipes
If you love pumpkin, you'll want to check out these other delicious recipes:
- No Bake Pumpkin Cheesecake Cups this is one of my favorite pumpkin desserts!
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bars - a delicious sweet treat for when you want an easy pumpkin dessert!
- Creamy Pumpkin Hot Cocoa - you won't believe how amazing this tastes.
- Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls with Cream Cheese Icing - canned pumpkin makes all the difference for these classic cinnamon rolls.
- Pumpkin Pie Smoothie - anytime is the perfect time to make this smoothie.
- OREO Pumpkin Cheesecake Parfaits - perfect for pumpkin season!
- Pumpkin Butterscotch Cookies - delicious pumpkin cookies with chocolate chips and butterscotch chips.
Related: Delicious Pumpkin Recipes
📋 Pumpkin Cheesecake Truffles
Not ready to make our pumpkin cheesecake truffles yet? Don’t forget to pin this recipe for later! When you do make it, please be sure to tag me on Instagram @jugglingactmama or #jugglingactmama – I’d love to see your pictures! And finally, if you get a chance, please comment and leave me a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating below!
Pumpkin Cream Cheese Cake Balls
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Parchment Paper
- 1 spice cake mix + ingredients as per box
- ¼ cup pumpkin puree
- 3 ounces cream cheese room temperature
- 2 teaspoons half and half
- 1 bag white chocolate candy melts
- Ground Cinnamon for garnish
- Prepare and bake the cake according to directions on the box for a 9x13 cake. Let the cake cool completely.1 spice cake mix + ingredients as per box
- Add the cream cheese, half and half and pumpkin puree to the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Beat the ingredients until the come together.¼ cup pumpkin puree, 3 ounces cream cheese, 2 teaspoons half and half
- Slice the cake into 10 pieces. With the mixer on the lowest setting, drop the cake pieces into the mixer with the pumpkin cream cheese mixture one at a time. Take care not to overmix. You want the mixture to just come together.3 ounces cream cheese
- Roll 1-inch balls of the mixture and set them on a parchment lined baking sheet. Line a second baking sheet with parchment paper for the dipped cake balls.
- Melt the chocolate according to the directions on the package. Using a fork, dip the cake ball into the chocolate. Gently tap the fork against the side of the bowl to allow the excess chocolate to drip off.1 bag white chocolate candy melts
- Using a toothpick, gently slide the cake ball off the fork onto the parchment paper. Sprinkle with ground cinnamon. Repeat until all the cake balls have been dipped.Ground Cinnamon for garnish
- Refrigerate the cake balls for 1 hour to allow the chocolate to harden. Serve chilled.
- Store in an airtight container for 3-4 days.
For best results, be sure to check our Tips and FAQs above with important tips and questions that can help your delicious recipe come out perfectly.