As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Today, I thought I’d share a recipe that I have just recently come across and love – chocolate chip zucchini bread.
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 tsps baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 cups grated zucchini
- 1 tsp lemon juice Zest from 1 lemon
- 2 squares Baker’s semi-sweet chocolate
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees, and crease and flour two bread pans. Grate the zucchini (I pulse mine in the food processor – skin on – to save time). Chop the Baker’s chocolate into tiny pieces and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flours, salt, nutmeg, baking soda, cinnamon and sugar – use a whisk to blend. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs, then combine with the oil, applesauce, water, zucchini and lemon juice.
- Mix the wet ingredients into the dry mixture and fold in the walnuts, chopped Baker’s chocolate, and chocolate chips.(Besides measuring the flour, this is my son Ethan’s (4) favorite part – he loves sampling the chocolate chips, and mixing the batter.) Pour into the pans and bake for 1 hour, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Once the bread has cooled completely, refrigerate it – it’s best served chilled. Speaking of chilled, these loaves freeze wonderfully. I double freezer bag mine, and label it with a Sharpie. Thaw it in the fridge overnight.