Instant Pot Chicken and Rice is the perfect recipe for busy weeknights when you just need to get a meal on the table quickly!
I love using my Instant Pot to create quick and easy meals. And I love that I don’t have to babysit them while they’re cooking. This Instant Pot Chicken and Rice reminds me of a dish my grandmother used to make in the oven, except hers took way longer to cook! There’s something so homey about the tender flavorful chicken with fluffy rice and carrots.
Once I have the sauteing done, I can walk away from the Instant Pot and play a game with the kids or catch up on a couple of emails for work. If you’re a meal prepper like me, you can dice the onion, peel and the carrots and cut them into pieces ahead of time and save yourself those extra steps. You can use my Menu Planner and Grocery List Printable Set to plan out your meals for the whole week. Easy Instant Pot Meals like this chicken and rice dinner are fantastic for weeknight cooking when you don’t have a lot of time to spare. This recipe will feed a big family easily. For smaller families, plan on having leftovers.
Instant Pot Chicken and Rice Shopping List
Some of the items below contain affiliate links; I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. I am also an affiliate for other programs. However, I only promote things that I love and think you will love, too. For more information, please see our Disclosure Policy.
- chicken breasts
- chicken stock
- sweet onion
- brown rice
- seasoning mix (I used this)
- fresh garlic
- fresh thyme
From the pantry:olive oil, salt and pepper
You Might Also Need:
For a list of some of my favorite items to use when cooking, and why I chose them, please visit my Kitchen Resource page.
How Long Do you cook Chicken and Rice in an Instant Pot?
This recipe is so quick – it takes just 20 minutes for the instant pot to cook this meal. You’ll have dinner on the table in about 30 minutes!
How to Put together this Instant Pot Chicken and Rice Recipe
- Sprinkle the chicken with the Mediterranean Spiced Sea Salt.
- Turn on the Saute setting on the Instant Pot. Add the olive oil, onions and garlic. Cook until tender.
- Add the broth, rice and carrots. Stir to combine.
- Add the chicken breasts on top.
- Cancel the Saute mode and select Manual for 20 minutes.
- Allow the Instant Pot to Nature Pressure Release (about 10-12 minutes).
- Release any remaining pressure and open carefully.
- Fluff the rice with a fork and shred the chicken.
20 Minute Instant Pot Chicken and Rice
Instant Pot Chicken and Rice
- 1 lb chicken breast
- 2 cups chicken broth or stock
- 2 cups brown rice
- 1 tablespoon Mediterranean spices and salt mix I used the McCormick Gourmet jar.
- 5 whole carrots, peeled and sliced thick
- 1 clove fresh garlic, minced
- 1 cup sweet onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Fresh thyme
- Salt & pepper to preference
- Turn on the Saute setting on the IP and heat the oil while you dice the onion and mince the garlic. Sweat and brown the onions and garlic, then use the broth to deglaze the bottom of the pan. You’ll want to scrape up any bits that are stuck as they are loaded with flavor that you’ll want in your rice and chicken.
- Rinse the rice and drain well, then stir into the broth really well so nothing sticks to the sides or bottom. Add the carrots and stir again.
- Place the chicken breast right on top of the rice and season the breast really well. Do not mixt the chicken into the rice.
- Cancel the Sautee mode and select the Manual mode for 20 minutes.
- When the pressurized cook time has ended and the pot beeps, leave the IP for an additional 10 to 12 minutes to while it Natural Pressure Releases (plan for more or less time if you have more or less chicken in there than what is listed above.
- At the end of the rest time, release any remaining pressure, carefully, and then remove the lid. I used two forks to very easily shred the chicken and mix everything together.
That’s all there is to it – a fantastic one pot meal everyone will love!
Instant Pot Chicken and Rice Recipe Variations
Because we test all our recipes, we recommend that you make them once just as it is without substitutions or changes. Sometimes variations can go awry. Making our Instant Pot Chicken and Rice recipe as we have tested it will yield the best results. If you really want to get creative, here are some ideas for variations that might work well. (Please note, we have not tested these variations).
- For something a little different, try turkey breast cutlets instead of chicken breasts.
- Add steamed broccoli or green beans instead of the carrots, if desired.
What to do with Instant Pot Chicken and Rice Leftovers:
If you have a smaller family, you can turn this into a soup to have on another night, or freeze it for later.
- Chop up the chicken into bite-sized pieces.
- Add 1 tablespoon butter to a stock pot and 2 stalks of celery finely chopped.
- Cook until the celery is tender.
- Add one carton of chicken stock to the pot.
- Add the chopped chicken along with the leftover rice and carrots.
- To freeze, allow the soup to cool before placing into storage containerss. Label and freeze for up to 2 months.
More Delicious Instant Pot Recipes:
If you like this Instant Pot Chicken and Rice recipe, you might also enjoy our Instant Pot Korean Meatballs, or one of these great dishes below:
from left to right:
- Instant Pot Beef Stew Recipe
- Instant Pot Meatloaf
- Instant Pot Baby Back Ribs
- Instant Pot Pork Tenderloin Dinner