This recipe for Slow Cooker Chicken Chili is a version of our classic Sweet and Spicy Chili, which feeds a crowd and is great for game day. I wanted to make slow cooker chili and didn't have ground beef on hand, but I did have chicken.
Tangy tomato, a hint of smokiness and spice, crisp corn kernels and tender chicken make this Slow Cooker Chicken Chili an amazing recipe!
Slow Cooker Chicken Chili is not only good for game day parties and other gatherings, but it's fantastic as part of your weekly meal plan. You can use the leftovers to make other great dishes, like our Chili Stuffed Peppers, too.
- green pepper
- sweet onion
- BBQ sauce
- tomato puree
- crushed tomatoes
- light red kidney beans
- dark red kidney beans
- corn kernels
from the pantry: olive oil, granulated garlic, onion powder, chili powder, red pepper flake, ground cumin, salt and pepper
Be sure to check out my Juggling Act Mama Storefront on Amazon where you'll find all kinds of great products to make your life easier! Thanks so much for being a part of Juggling Act Mama ❤
- Crockpot or Slow Cooker
- Cutting Board and Knife
- Dry Measuring Cups and Measuring Spoons
- Can Opener
- Mixing Spoon
This is meant to be a brief overview of the recipe. For step-by-step instructions and a full printable recipe card with ingredients, please scroll down to the teal box below or Jump to Recipe.
- In a skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the onions, peppers, jalapeno pinch of red pepper flake and cook until tender.
- Add the tomato puree and crushed tomatoes to the slow cooker.
- Add the pepper mixture, beans, and seasonings. Stir to combine.
- Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper and add to the slow cooker.
- Stir in the corn kernels.
- Set the slow cooker on low for 8 hours.
- Remove the chicken and shred. Return to slow cooker.
- Taste for seasoning and adjust as needed.
- Serve with sour cream, cheddar cheese, diced onion, jalapeno slices or other desired toppings.
💭 Frequently Asked Questions
Personally, I don't care for beans in my chili recipes, but Mr. Juggling Act loves them. Add light or dark red kidney beans, white or pinto beans to this slow cooker chicken chili. For a more Tex-Mex style chili, you can also use black beans. If you choose not to use the beans, I would recommend adding a 29oz can of diced tomatoes to help keep the chili thick!
Here's how to make slow cooker chicken chili with ground chicken:
1. Season ground chicken or turkey with salt and pepper.
2. Brown the meat in a skillet.
3. Add to slow cooker and follow all the other instructions to complete.
🍴 Serving Suggestions
Serve your chili with a variety of toppings such as:
- sour cream
- cheddar cheese
- jalapeño slices
- avocado chunks
- chips or tortilla strips
- finely diced red onion
To simplify your life, you can use my Menu Planner and Grocery List Printable Set to plan out your meals - it's a free download. (Be sure to check out my Busy Mom's Survival Guide for loads more tips and tricks!)
What to do with Slow Cooker Chicken Chili Leftovers
If you have leftovers, you can use the slow cooker chicken chili to make some pretty tasty recipes, like these below.
from left to right:
Since I'm not a big fan of super spicy foods, this is a mild chili. If you like it hot, you can add additional jalapeno or chili powder. I would recommend adding a little at a time because you can always add more, of course.
Not ready to make it yet? Don’t forget to pin this recipe for later! When you do make it, please be sure to tag me on Instagram @jugglingactmama or #jugglingactmama – I’d love to see your pictures! And finally, if you get a chance, please comment and leave me a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating below!
Slow Cooker Chicken Chili
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Can Opener
- Mixing Spoon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large green pepper, diced
- 1 large sweet onion, diced
- 1 large jalapeno, membrane and seeds removed and finly minced
- 1 pinch red pepper flake
- 2 tablespoons BBQ sauce
- 1 29oz can tomato puree
- 1 29 oz can crushed tomato
- 1 15 oz can light red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15 oz can dark red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 1 lb chicken breast or thighs
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon granulated garlic
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin for smokiness (optional)
- 1 tablespoon honey (to offset the acidity of the tomatoes)
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the prepared peppers, onions, and jalapeno. Season with salt and pepper and a pinch of red pepper flake. Cook until tender and transfer to the slow cooker.
- Add the BBQ sauce, tomato puree, and crushed tomato. Stir in the kidney beans and corn.
- Season the mixture with chili powder, granulated garlic, and onion powder. Add ground cumin if desired.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper and add the chicken to the mixture.
- Cover and cook 8 hours on low.
- Just before serving, remove the chicken from the slow cooker and break it apart with two forks. Return to the slow cooker and stir to combine.
- Taste for seasoning and adjust to your taste.
- Serve with a variety of toppings and tortilla chips for dipping!
Sign up for our emails and never miss another recipe!!We'll never share your email or send you spam.
Pretty simple right? And it's so good on a chilly day when you've got the game on and a house full of people!