This recipe for Slow Cooker Chicken Chili is a version of our classic Sweet and Spicy Chili, which feeds a crowd and is great for game day. I wanted to make slow cooker chili and didn’t have ground beef on hand, but I did have chicken.
Slow Cooker Chicken Chili is not only good for game day parties and other gatherings, but it’s fantastic as part of your weekly meal plan. You can use the leftovers to make other great dishes, like our Chili Stuffed Peppers, too. Use my Menu Planner and Grocery List Printable Set to plan out your meals – it’s a free download. (Be sure to check out my Busy Mom’s Survival Guide for loads more tips and tricks!)
- green pepper
- sweet onion
- 1lb chicken
- BBQ sauce
- 29oz can tomato puree
- 29oz can crushed tomatoes
- 15oz can light red kidney beans
- 15oz can dark red kidney beans
- corn kernels
from the pantry: olive oil, granulated garlic, onion powder, chili powder, red pepper flake, ground cumin, salt and pepper
You Might Also Need:
Some of the items below contain affiliate links; I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. I am also an affiliate for other programs. However, I only promote things that I love and think you will love, too. For more information, please see our Disclosure Policy.
- cutting board and good knife
- slow cooker
Products from Amazon.com
Price: Check on Amazon
Hamilton Beach 33969A 6-Quart Programmable Set & Forget w/Temperature Probe Slow Cooker, Stainless SteelPrice: $49.12Was: $49.99
For a list of some of my favorite items to use when cooking, and why I chose them, please visit my Kitchen Resource page.
How to Make Slow Cooker Chicken Chili
- In a skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the onions, peppers, jalapeno pinch of red pepper flake and cook until tender.
- Add the tomato puree and crushed tomatoes to the slow cooker.
- Add the pepper mixture, beans and seasonings. Stir to combine.
- Season chicken chicken breasts with salt and pepper and add to the slow cooker.
- Stir in the corn kernels.
- Set the slow cooker on low for 8 hours.
- Remove the chicken and shred. Return to slow cooker.
- Taste for seasoning and adjust as needed.
- Serve with sour cream, cheddar cheese, diced onion, jalapeno slices or other desired toppings.
Find out How to Use Your Slow Cooker Like a Boss and make the most of it. I love using my slow cooker because it saves me time, and money, too.
What Kind of Beans Go in Slow Cooker Chicken Chili?
Personally, I don’t care for beans in my chili recipes, but Mr. Juggling Act loves them. Add light or dark red kidney beans, white or pinto beans to this slow cooker chicken chili. For a more Tex-Mex style chili, you can also use black beans. If you choose not to use the beans, I would recommend adding a 29oz can of diced tomatoes to help keep the chili thick!
How Can I Make Slow Cooker Chicken Chili with Ground Chicken or Turkey?
Here’s how to make slow cooker chicken chili with ground chicken:
- Season ground chicken or turkey with salt and pepper.
- Brown the meat in a skillet.
- Add to slow cooker and follow all the other instructions to complete.
How to Serve Slow Cooker Chicken Chili
Serve your chili with a variety of toppings such as:
- sour cream
- cheddar cheese
- jalapeno slices
- avocado chunks
- chips or tortilla strips
- finely diced red onion
Slow Cooker Chicken Chili
Since I’m not a big fan of super spicy foods, this is a mild chili. If you like it hot, you can add additional jalapeno, or chili powder. I would recommend adding a little at a time because you can always add more, of course.
Slow Cooker Chicken Chili
Incredibly flavorful Slow Cooker Chicken Chili is a 'set and forget' kind of recipe that makes entertaining a breeze! This chili recipe will feed a crowd, and then some!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large green pepper, diced
- 1 large sweet onion, diced
- 1 large jalapeno, membrane and seeds removed and finly minced
- 1 pinch red pepper flake
- 2 tablespoons BBQ sauce
- 1 29oz can tomato puree
- 1 29 oz can crushed tomato
- 1 15 oz can light red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15 oz can dark red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 1 lb chicken breast or thighs
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon granulated garlic
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin for smokiness (optional)
- 1 tablespoon honey (to offset the acidity of the tomatoes)
Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the prepared peppers, onions, and jalapeno. Season with salt and pepper and a pinch of red pepper flake. Cook until tender and transfer to the slow cooker.
Add the BBQ sauce, tomato puree, and crushed tomato. Stir in the kidney beans and corn.
Season the mixture with chili powder, granulated garlic, and onion powder. Add ground cumin if desired.
Season the chicken with salt and pepper and add the chicken to the mixture.
Cover and cook 8 hours on low.
Just before serving, remove the chicken from the slow cooker and break it apart with two forks. Return to the slow cooker and stir to combine.
Taste for seasoning and adjust to your taste.
Serve with a variety of toppings and tortilla chips for dipping!
cheddar cheese, sour cream, jalapeno pepper slices, finely diced red onion, bacon, chopped cilantro
MAKING THIS RECIPE? Share it with us on Instagram using the hashtag #JugglingActMama so we can see what you're creating in the kitchen!
Pretty simple right? And it’s so good on a chilly day when you’ve got the game on and a house full of people!
What to do with Slow Cooker Chicken Chili Leftovers
If you have leftovers, you can use the slow cooker chicken chili to make some pretty tasty recipes, like these below.
from left to right:
More Delicious Game Day Recipes
from left to right:
Must Try Slow Cooker Meals
from left to right:
- Classic Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Recipe
- Slow Cooker Beef and Broccoli Recipe
- Honey Garlic Slow Cooker Chicken Recipe
You Might Also Like:
- This Slow Cooker Cuban Pork from Belly Full is a another great hearty crowd-pleasing meal. This is a great recipe to make on the weekend and have all week to make sandwiches, tacos or serve over rice.
- Another great dish for the whole family is this Slow Cooker Chicken Cacciatore from Healthy Seasonal Recipes. It’s a healthier version of the classic that can be served with pasta or even zucchini noodles.