With loads of cheddar cheese and bacon, these Bacon Cheddar Scones are the perfect brunch recipe for any scone lover! They're delicious with a bowl of Easy Slow Cooker Potato Soup, too.
These Bacon Cheddar Scones are loaded with fresh bacon and just the right amount of cheddar cheese to make them a hearty yet delicious option for you to enjoy in the morning. These would also make a filling afternoon snack to have with a nice warm cup of coffee!
These scones are the perfect dish to make if you love savory pastries! You can also swap out the bacon for ham or sausage if you don’t have any bacon!
While scones might sound like a dry biscuit, these Bacon Cheddar Scones are full of flavor, and they crumble in your mouth just the right way. They are so moist and tender, but without making a big mess!
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Unsalted butter
- Buttermilk or heavy cream
- Cheddar cheese
- Fresh Chives or Green Onions
- To Taste: Black Pepper and Salt
- Optional Garlic Powder
Be sure to check out my Juggling Act Mama Storefront on Amazon where you'll find all kinds of great products to make your life easier! Thanks so much for being a part of Juggling Act Mama ❤
- Mixing Bowls
This is meant to be a brief overview of how to make bacon cheddar scones. For step-by-step instructions and a full printable recipe card with ingredients, please scroll down to the teal box below or Jump to Recipe.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder.
- Cut in butter until mixture is crumbly.
- In a small bowl, combine wet ingredients - eggs, buttermilk, or cream.
- Add liquid ingredients, bacon, cheese, and chives to dry ingredients and stir until moistened, well combined, and holds together.
- Sprinkle a small amount of flour onto parchment paper or counter.
- On your floured surface, press dough into an 8-inch circle, about ¾ inch thick.
- Brush top with additional buttermilk or cream.
- Using a bench knife or sharp knife, cut into 8 wedges.
- Divide triangles and place on the prepared baking sheet or a silicone mat, leaving enough space for the scones to expand when cooked.
- Place in the refrigerator for 15-30 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
- Bake until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and cool.
If you want to make them ahead of time to enjoy later, you can freeze your bacon cheddar scones by placing them on a sheet pan and then freezing them until solid. Once they are frozen, you can transfer them to a bag. To reheat, add a few additional minutes to your baking time, and they are ready to go!
💭 Frequently Asked Questions
The perfect scone is moist and crumbly. It should have an aroma of butter and look lightly golden on the outside.
Make sure you're using fresh baking powder and don't over knead your dough! You want your dough to just come together.
For this bacon cheddar scone recipe you might need to add more milk or heavy cream. You want the dough to just come together because some crumbling is ideal, but you don't want a sandy texture. This article from Food Crumbles offers more tips to keep your scones moist and delicious.
🍴 Serving Suggestions
You can enjoy savory scones with butter or jam, and are delicious with a fried egg for breakfast. They are also incredibly yummy with soup and I love to serve them with my Slow Cooker Chicken Chili Recipe.
😋 Similar Recipes
These Blueberry Scones made with fresh blueberries and a hint of cinnamon make a delicious breakfast or snack! Next time, you might also like one of these recipes:
- Spinach and Artichoke Pull Apart Bread
- Easy Italian Bread Sticks
- Cheesy Cornbread (Cast Iron Cornbread)
📋 Bacon Cheddar Scones Recipe
Not ready to make it yet? Don’t forget to pin this recipe for later! When you do make it, please be sure to tag me on Instagram @jugglingactmama or #jugglingactmama – I’d love to see your pictures! And finally, if you get a chance, please comment and leave me a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating below!
Bacon Cheddar Scones
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ cup 1 stick unsalted butter grated and very cold or frozen
- ¾ cup buttermilk or heavy cream, plus more for brushing on top
- 1 egg large
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 4 pieces of bacon cooked and chopped finely
- 2 tablespoons chives dried or fresh
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder2 cups all-purpose flour, 2 teaspoons granulated sugar, ½ teaspoon salt, 1 tablespoon baking powder
- Using a pastry blender or your hands, cut in butter until mixture is crumbly½ cup 1 stick unsalted butter
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg and buttermilk, or cream¾ cup buttermilk, 1 egg
- Add liquid ingredients, bacon, cheese, and chives to dry ingredients and stir until moistened, and mixture is well combined and holds together1 cup cheddar cheese, 4 pieces of bacon, 2 tablespoons chives
- Sprinkle a small amount of flour onto parchment paper or counter
- Press dough into 8 inch circle, about ¾ inch thick
- Brush top with additional buttermilk or cream
- Using a sharp knife, cut circle into 8 wedges
- Divide triangles and place on baking sheet lined with parchment paper or silicone mat, leaving enough space for the scones to expand when cooked
- Place in refrigerator for 15-30 minutes
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown
- Remove from oven and cool slightly
- Serve warm or room temperature
- Store leftovers in airtight container at room temperature
For best results, be sure to check our Tips and FAQs above with important tips and questions that can help your delicious recipe come out perfectly.
Leave a Reply