Easy Slow Cooker Potato Soup is the ultimate comfort food, made super simple! It’s a bowl of creamy, cheesy, bacon-topped goodness no one can resist.
During the colder months, I use my slow cooker every week, sometimes twice! This Potato Soup is just the thing when you need a warm comforting and hearty meal.
Easy Slow Cooker Potato SoupThis post has been updated to enhance reader experience.
Table of contents
- Easy Slow Cooker Potato Soup
- How To Make Easy Slow Cooker Potato Soup
- Easy Slow Cooker Potato Soup Recipe
This is a soup that can be prepped on the weekend if you like, so it’s great for busy families. It’s also pretty cheap when you consider the ingredients. It does have some richer ingredients, but not a huge amount of them, so it’s still an economical choice.
I love a good slow cooker meal, but this one reminds me of my mother. During a crazy blizzard one year, the kids and I holed up with my parents while Mr. Juggling Act stayed home to tend to the generator. We made potato soup, played games and stayed warm while the blizzard blew outside.
My mom taught me just about everything I know about using a slow cooker. As a working mom of four, she took all the help she could get when it came to getting yummy inexpensive meals on the table quickly.
Potato Soup Shopping List
For the full printable recipe with ingredient amounts, step-by-step instructions and tips, please scroll down to the Recipe Card below.
- chicken stock
- sweet onion
- fresh garlic
- red bliss potatoes
- heavy cream
- Gruyere cheese
- sour cream (optional)
from the pantry: dry mustard, dried tarragon, garlic powder, salt, and pepper
Optional Toppings: cheddar cheese, fresh parsley, chives or scallions.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Products from Amazon.com
- Price: $6.99Was: $8.99
- Price: Check on Amazon
- Price: $11.99
If you’re new to using a slow cooker or CrockPot, you’ll want to check out a post I wrote on How to Use a Slow Cooker Like a Boss. It’s got tons of tips for making the most of this awesome kitchen appliance!
How To Make Easy Slow Cooker Potato Soup
- Cook the bacon in a heavy skillet until crispy.
- Move the bacon with a slotted spatula to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Reserve 2 tablespoons of bacon fat. and discard the rest.
- In the skillet with the bacon fat, cook the diced onions and celery until tender. Add the minced garlic and cook another minute. Remove from heat.
- Into the slow cooker, add the chicken stock, cooked vegetable mixture, and seasonings, along with the peeled potatoes.
- Cook the soup on low for 7-8 hours.
- Carefully use the immersion blender to make the soup as smooth as you like.
- Just before serving, stir in the heavy cream, Gruyere cheese and sour cream (optional).
- Serve with crumbled bacon and cheddar cheese.
Can I Make Slow Cooker Potato Soup without Bacon?
Yes, instead of bacon grease, cook the celery and onions in 2 tablespoons of butter or olive oil. Instead of topping the soup with crumbled bacon, use cheddar cheese, fresh parsley, chives or scallions.
For a little crunch, melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a skillet on medium heat, add 1/2 cup of panko bread crumbs and toast. Add to the top of the soup in lieu of bacon.
How Can I Prep this Slow Cooker Potato Soup Ahead of Time?
Cook the bacon and vegetables a couple of days ahead of time. Both should be kept in their own airtight containers or resealable bags. On cooking day, all you’ll need to do is peel the potatoes and toss everything into the slow cooker.
If you like meal prepping, you might also like to check out my Menu Planner and Grocery List Printable Set to plan out your meals and keep track of groceries you need to order.
What can I use instead of Gruyere cheese?
I love the creamy nutty flavor that Gruyere adds to this soup. It melts beautifully and works really well with the potatoes. However, most good melting cheeses will work. Mozzarella tends to be mild, so if you choose this, add a little extra salt. Some of my favorite cheeses for this soup are Gouda or Colby Jack.
What goes well with Potato Soup?
Our soup is certainly hearty enough on its own, but you can also serve a smaller portion along with one of these:
- Pesto Grilled Cheese Sandwich – Baking Mischief
- Toasted Caprese Sandwich | Juggling Act Mama
- Ranch BLT Pasta Salad | Let’s Dish Recipes
More Delicious Potato Recipes:
Easy Slow Cooker Potato Soup Recipe
With the cheese and cream, this isn’t necessarily the healthiest of recipes, but it sure is scrumptious. Moderation in all things, I say! If you are watching your weight, you might prefer this Healthy Sweet Potato Soup, which has less fat.
When you make this please be sure to tag me on Instagram @jugglingactmama or #jugglingactmama – I’d love to see your pictures! And if you get a chance, please comment and leave me a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating below!
Slow Cooker Potato Soup
- 4 slices bacon diced
- 2 tablespoons reserved bacon fat
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1/2 cup celery, diced
- 1 teaspoons fresh garlic, minced
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoons white pepper
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 2 teaspoons dried tarragon
- 1/4 teaspoons garlic powder
- 4 cups red bliss potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 6 oz Gruyere cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons sour cream (optional)
- In a large skillet, fry the bacon and place onto paper towels to drain. Reserve 2 tablespoons of the bacon grease and discard the rest.
- In the reserved bacon grease, cook the onions and celery until tender. Add the minced garlic cook 1-2 minutes more.
- To the slow cooker, add the stock, vegetable mixture, salt, pepper, dry mustard, dried tarragon, and garlic powder. Whisk to combine.
- Add the potatoes and set the slow cooker for 8 hours on low until the potatoes are tender.
- Just before serving, use an immersion blender to smooth out the potato soup to desired taste.
- Stir in the heavy cream and shredded Gruyere cheese. If desired, add in the sour cream.
- Serve with crumbled bacon pieces and cheddar cheese for topping.