Busy Day Soup is an easy, delicious, and comforting meal that can be prepared in 5 minutes with ingredients you probably already have on hand! Let it simmer while you spend time with your family.
Our Busy Day Soup is made with simple and affordable ingredients, such as ground beef, frozen vegetables, and canned tomatoes.
It can be easily customized to fit whatever flavors you're in the mood for, or you can use our tried-and-true combination for an instant family favorite!
Here's what you will need to make our Busy Day Soup recipe:
This is meant to be a brief overview of this great recipe. For step-by-step instructions and a full printable recipe card with ingredients, please scroll down to the teal box below or Jump to Recipe.
- In a large pot, brown ground beef. Drain fat.
- Add the seasoning mix, water, and canned tomatoes and bring to a boil.
- Simmer for 45 minutes.
- Add the pasta and veggies and cook 15 minutes until the pasta is al dente.
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Here is what you will need to make this easy recipe:
Be sure to check out my Juggling Act Mama Storefront on Amazon where you'll find all kinds of great products to make your life easier! Thanks so much for being a part of Juggling Act Mama ❤
✔️ To save time, I like to cook large batches of ground beef on the weekends and freeze them for later. That way, I can just grab a bag of the cooked beef and it will thaw quickly as the soup heats up.
To Store: Leftover Busy Day Soup should be stored in an airtight container. It will keep for 3-4 days. (These are my favorite airtight containers.)
To Reheat: Microwave individual portions in 30 second intervals until heated throughout. Larger amounts can be reheated in a crockpot or on the stovetop.
To Freeze: Prepare the soup without the pasta. Place cooled soup into a gallon-size freezer bag. Label and store for uo to 6 months.
To Thaw: Allow the soup to thaw in the fridge overnight. Add the soup to a pot or slow cooker to reheat and add cooked pasta when ready to serve.
✏️ Make Ahead
This soup can be made 1-2 days ahead, however, I recommend not adding the soup until you're ready to serve it or the pasta may become too mushy.
I love using a little creativity with soup recipes. They're a great way to use what you have on hand in your pantry, or even as leftovers. Tons of yellow squash or zucchini from your garden? Throw it in! Add a can of white beans for extra protein, or swap out leftover chicken for the ground beef.
Here are some other ideas for changing up this delicious meal:
- Instead of regular diced tomatoes, try Ro-Tel diced tomatoes and chilies or fire-roasted tomatoes.
- Add a tablespoon of Italian seasoning mix, Mediterranean seasoning mix, or even taco seasoning to the soup as it cooks for more flavor. You can also add fresh herbs just before serving like parsley, basil, or thyme.
- Instead of water, use beef broth or vegetable broth.
- You can use any type of small pasta noodles you like.
- Instead of ground beef, try ground turkey or even ground Italian sausage.
Slow Cooker Instructions
Here's who to make this hearty soup in your crockpot:
Using your slow cooker to make this easy soup is a great option when you're tight on time. Cook the ground beef, drain grease and add it to the crock along with all the other ingredients except for the pasta. Cook on low for 6 hours. When there are about 30 minutes left in the cooking time, stir in the pasta or rice.
🍴 Serving Suggestions
Serve with a little bit of shredded cheese or grated parmesan. I also love to serve this with a loaf of crusty bread, or if I have a little extra time I'll make buttery dinner rolls or Italian breadsticks.
😋 Similar Recipes
Next time, try one of these delicious recipes:
- instant pot vegetable and beef soup
- creamy tomato basil soup
- slow cooker Italian wedding soup
- Italian style chicken sausage soup
- slow cooker potato soup
Related: Find more Delicious Soup Recipes here.
Not ready to make this Busy Day Soup recipe yet?
When you do make it, please come back and comment and leave me a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating below!
Busy Day Soup
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 packet onion soup mix
- 5 to 6 cups water divided
- 1 28 ounce can petite diced tomatoes
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 cup uncooked ditalini pasta or any small pasta or rice
- In a large soup pot or Dutch oven, cook the ground beef over medium-high heat.1 pound lean ground beef
- Drain the fat off the beef and return it to the pot.
- Add in the ingredients for the base of the soup.1 packet onion soup mix, 5 to 6 cups water, 1 28 ounce can petite diced tomatoes
- Bring the soup to a boil.
- Reduce the temperature to medium heat and let the soup simmer for 45 minutes to develop a savory broth.
- Mix in the pasta and veggies and cook for 15 minutes until the pasta is tender.2 cups frozen mixed vegetables, 1 cup uncooked ditalini pasta
For best results, be sure to check our Tips and FAQs above with important tips and questions that can help your delicious recipe come out perfectly.