Italian Style Chicken Sausage Soup can be made in a flash on the stovetop, or can simmer away all day in slow cooker. Either way it's a hearty and delicious family meal!
Mr. Juggling Act and I are very blessed to have a community of friends around us that have young children also. Recently, a group of moms at our children's school has begun swapping meals.
Since I have a picky eater on hand, it was somewhat daunting to give a list of things that he wouldn't eat... it was easier to give a list of things he would actually.
But, as someone who loves to play around in the kitchen, it was really fun to cook for a family with virtually no restrictions on what they would eat. I came up with this Italian Style Chicken Sausage Soup, which can be made in a flash on the stovetop, or can simmer away all day in slow cooker.
Either way, it's flavorful and tasty - a hearty soup that could even be served on game day (hint, hint!)
Here's how to make Italian Style Chicken Sausage Soup:
- 1-½ to 2 cups squash, cubbed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (12oz) package Italian-style smoked chicken sausage
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon Italian Seasoning Mix
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- ½ large sweet onion, chopped
- 3 large carrots, chopped
- 4 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 (14.5oz) can diced tomatoes with juices
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 8oz pasta shells
- Chopped basil or parsley for garnish (optional)
- Shredded Parmesan cheese for serving (optional)
Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook the pasta until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Slice the chicken sausage into coins (or smaller for little mouths if needed).
- When the sausages have browned, add a ½ cup of the chicken stock to deglaze the pan and get all the yummy little bits up - these will really help flavor your broth.
- Transfer the sausages, remaining liquid and any tasty bits from the bottom of the pan to a stockpot or your slow cooker.
- Return the skillet to the burner and add the remaining tablespoon of olive oil. To the skillet, add the chopped onion and celery. Cook on low until the onions become clear. Transfer the mixture to the stockpot or slow cooker.
- To the stockpot or slow cooker, add the rest of the remaining ingredients except for the pasta. Stir the soup to combine well.
- If you want the soup to simmer in the slow cooker, cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours. 10 minutes before serving, add the pasta.
Stove Top Instructions
If you're cooking on the stovetop, bring the soup to a boil and cook for 5-6 minutes until the carrots and squash are tender. Add the pasta and serve immediately.
Serve with shredded Parmesan cheese and fresh chopped parsley or basil for garnish if desired. A slice of hot garlic bread is a delicious side to this soup as well. And add a side of my Grilled Chicken Caesar Salad for a complete soup and salad meal.
More Slow Cooker Recipes
If you enjoyed this Italian Style Chicken Sausage Soup, you'll also love these flavorful sausage recipes: