Full of fresh cherry tomatoes, blistered to bring out their flavor, this Italian Sausage Pasta is sure to be a hit.
In the summer, we grow our own vegetables and herbs. The kids love going out and grabbing my fresh herbs or picking tomatoes from the vine for me. The tomatoes and basil are almost always the most abundant. This Italian Sausage Pasta recipe makes good use of both, and doesn’t have me slaving over a hot stove for a long time. This is one of Mr. Juggling Act’s most favorite meals. The blistered tomatoes absolutely make this dish!
Italian Sausage Pasta Shopping List
- Sweet Italian Sausage
- Pappardelle or Fettuccine
- Fresh Basil
- Grape Tomatoes
From the Pantry you will also need butter, olive oil, salt and pepper.
Items You May Also Need:
Some of the items below contain affiliate links; I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. However, I only promote things that I love and think you will love, too. For more information, please see our Disclosure Policy.
- Cutting Board and Knife
- Cheese Grater
- Mesh Strainer
Products from Amazon.com
Lodge L8SK3 10.25 inch Cast Iron Skillet, Pre-Seasoned and Ready for Stove Top or Oven Use 10.25" BlackPrice: $14.90Was: $26.68
For a list of some of my favorite items to use when cooking, please visit my Kitchen Resource page.
Italian Sausage Pasta with Blistered Tomatoes
This recipe is a great way to use in-season fresh ingredients from your garden or local farmer’s market for a quick dinner.
Easy Italian Sausage Pasta
Our simple Italian Sausage Pasta recipe is perfect for weeknight meals.
- 1 box pappardelle or fettuccine
- 4 sweet Italian sausage links cut on the bias
- 10 leaves fresh basil washed dried and chopped chiffonade style
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil divided
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 pint red and yellow grape tomatoes washed
- salt and black pepper to taste
Bring a large pot of water to a boil, season with salt. Cook the pasta according to the directions on the package.
Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high. Brown the sausage slices. Set aside.
In another skillet, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil and butter over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes, taking care not to burn it. Add the grape tomatoes and cook until blistered. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Drain the pasta and toss with the blistered tomato mixture. Top with the cooked sausage, cheese and basil. Serve hot.
Looks pretty yummy, right? It really is a great quick meal, and leftovers are pretty tasty, too!
We recommend that you make this recipe once as is since we’ve tested it and sometimes variations can go awry. Making it as we have tested it will yield the best results. Here are some ideas for variations if you chose to be creative (we have not yet tested these variations):
- For a Mexican flair, substitute chorizo for the Italian sausage and use crumbled queso fresco instead of the Parmigiano-Reggiano, then trade in the basil for cilantro.
- To add some heat, swap out the Italian Sweet Sausage for the Spicy version and add just a pinch of red pepper flakes.
- For a Greek-inspired dish, use feta cheese and fresh oregano in lieu of the Parmigiano-Reggiano and basil
- Use zucchini noodles instead of the pasta for a low carb version.
More Great Dinner Recipes:
If you love the flavor of sausage, you might like to try one of these other tasty recipes:
from left to right:
- Mac and Cheese with Sausage and Peppers
- Potato Sausage Casserole
- Chorizo Sheet Pan Dinner
- Italian-Style Chicken Sausage Soup