This easy Slow Cooker Italian Wedding Soup is delicious, and perfect for a chilly night! #SlowCooker
Hi! I’m Krysta, from KrystaSteen.com and I’m excited to share a great recipe with you today! We’re big soup people in our house and this one fits the bill! Even my teen boys who tend to avoid a vegetable like the plague gobbled it up. I count that as a win for mom!
This soup is crazy easy too – who doesn’t love a great slow cooker meal?! You could certainly use homemade meatballs if you prefer, but as a busy mom I just use the frozen ones and they work like a charm. If you are using homemade meatballs, I would probably freeze them first!
We actually like to add the whole package of orzo to make it an even thicker, stew-like soup, but just add less if that suits your family better. The Parmesan rind isn’t absolutely necessary, but I would highly recommend it! It adds a wonderful flavor.
You could also use kale instead of spinach and I bet that would be delicious as well!
Slow Cooker Italian Wedding Soup
Here’s how to make this delicious slow cooker Italian Wedding Soup:
- 4 large carrots, sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 28 oz. package frozen Italian style meatballs
- 32 oz. chicken stock
- 4 cups water
- 3 cups baby spinach
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups uncooked orzo pasta (or other small pasta)
- Parmesan rind
- salt and pepper to taste
- Saute the carrots, onions and garlic in the olive oil over medium heat, for about 8-10 minutes, until softened.
- In a slow cooker, add all ingredients except the uncooked pasta and mix well.
- Cook on low for 7 or 8 hours.
- Turn off the slow cooker and add your uncooked pasta, stir and let sit for 30 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf and whatever is left of the Parmesan rind and serve topped with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.