This loaded Baked Potato Casserole Recipe is the perfect addition to any weeknight meal but also makes a special holiday side dish!
Hello, it’s Doree here from Top Notch Mom. I am so happy to be back here at Juggling Act Mama. It’s amazing how fast a month goes by! Before you know it the holidays will here and you’ll be on the hunt for the perfect side dish to go with your main dish. Today I am going to be sharing this family favorite Easy Baked Potato Casserole that is absolutely perfect for the holidays.
This recipe has been in my family for years and I am so excited to share it with you. It’s also a great recipe because it’s easily changeable to your liking. I loaded this Easy Baked Potato Casserole up, but it’s just as good without the bacon and other toppings.
Easy Baked Potato Casserole Ingredients
Here’s what you will need to make this recipe:
- Yukon gold potatoes
- shredded cheddar cheese
- evaporated milk
- sour cream
- salt and black pepper (I like using Kosher salt)
- minced scallions or chives (optional)
How to Make our Loaded Baked Potato Casserole Recipe
- Start by peeling the potatoes and cut them in half.
- Place potatoes in a large pot, covered with salted water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 15-20 minutes.
- While potatoes are on the stove, cook bacon over medium heat on the skillet turning occasionally until browned (about 10 minutes).
- Drain bacon and crumble.
- Once the potatoes are done, drain and return to pot.
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees F.
- Add 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, evaporated milk, sour cream, salt and pepper into the pot with the potatoes.
- Mash until creamed and spread potato mixture into baking dish.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and top with bacon and 1/2 cup cheese.
- Return to oven and bake an additional 4-6 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Garnish with fresh minced scallions or chives.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Products from Amazon.com
Loaded Baked Potato Casserole Recipe Tips
- Yukon Gold potatoes are my favorite for this dish, but red bliss potatoes will work well also.
- Do not over mash/mix the potatoes or they will become starchy.
- If you do not have evaporated milk on hand, you can also use whole milk or light cream.
Make Ahead Instructions
This loaded baked potato casserole recipe is simple to make a day or two ahead of time, too.
- Place them into the baking dish, but don’t top them with bacon and cheese yet.
- Cover the dish and refrigerate.
- When you are ready to serve this side dish, place it in a 350-degree F oven for about 30 minutes.
- Remove and top with the cheese and bacon.
- Return to the oven for another 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and serve hot with fresh scallions or chives.
More Delicious Side Dishes
Easy Baked Potato Casserole
If you love this recipe, please give it a 5 star rating!
Loaded Baked Potato Casserole Recipe
- Stock Pot
- Potato Masher
- Casserole Dish
- 10 yukon gold potatoes – peeled and halved
- 8 slices bacon
- 1½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- Peel and halve potatoes
- Place potatoes in a large pot, covered with salted water and bring to a boil
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 15-20 minutes
- While potatoes are on the stove, cook bacon over medium heat on the skillet turning occasionally until browned (about 10 minutes) Drain bacon and crumble
- Once the potatoes are done, drain and return to pot
- Preheat oven to 350° F
- Add 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, evaporated milk, sour cream, salt and pepper into the pot with the potatoes
- Mash until creamed and spread potato mixture into baking dish
- Bake for 20 minutes
- Remove from the oven and top with bacon, green onions and 1/2 cup cheese
- Return to oven and bake an additional 4-6 minutes or until cheese is melted