This loaded Baked Potato Casserole Recipe is the perfect addition to any weeknight meal but also makes a special holiday side dish!
Hello, it's Doree here from Top Notch Mom. I am so happy to be back here at Juggling Act Mama. It's amazing how fast a month goes by! Before you know it the holidays will here and you'll be on the hunt for the perfect side dish to go with your main dish. Today I am going to be sharing this family favorite Easy Baked Potato Casserole that is absolutely perfect for the holidays.
This recipe has been in my family for years and I am so excited to share it with you. It's also a great recipe because it's easily changeable to your liking. I loaded this Easy Baked Potato Casserole up, but it's just as good without the bacon and other toppings.
Easy Baked Potato Casserole Ingredients
- Yukon gold potatoes
- shredded cheddar cheese
- evaporated milk
- sour cream
- salt and black pepper (I like using Kosher salt)
- minced scallions or chives (optional)
How to Make our Loaded Baked Potato Casserole Recipe
- Start by peeling the potatoes and cut them in half.
- Place potatoes in a large pot, covered with salted water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 15-20 minutes.
- While potatoes are on the stove, cook bacon over medium heat on the skillet turning occasionally until browned (about 10 minutes).
- Drain bacon and crumble.
- Once the potatoes are done, drain and return to pot.
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees F.
- Add 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, evaporated milk, sour cream, salt and pepper into the pot with the potatoes.
- Mash until creamed and spread potato mixture into baking dish.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and top with bacon and ½ cup cheese.
- Return to oven and bake an additional 4-6 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Garnish with fresh minced scallions or chives.
Loaded Baked Potato Casserole Recipe Tips
- Yukon Gold potatoes are my favorite for this dish, but red bliss potatoes will work well also.
- Do not over mash/mix the potatoes or they will become starchy.
- If you do not have evaporated milk on hand, you can also use whole milk or light cream.
Make Ahead Instructions
This loaded baked potato casserole recipe is simple to make a day or two ahead of time, too.
- Place them into the baking dish, but don't top them with bacon and cheese yet.
- Cover the dish and refrigerate.
- When you are ready to serve this side dish, place it in a 350-degree F oven for about 30 minutes.
- Remove and top with the cheese and bacon.
- Return to the oven for another 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and serve hot with fresh scallions or chives.
More Delicious Side Dishes
Easy Baked Potato Casserole
Loaded Baked Potato Casserole Recipe
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Stock Pot
- Potato Masher
- Casserole Dish
- 10 yukon gold potatoes - peeled and halved
- 8 slices bacon
- 1½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup sliced green onions
- Peel and halve potatoes
- Place potatoes in a large pot, covered with salted water and bring to a boil
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 15-20 minutes
- While potatoes are on the stove, cook bacon over medium heat on the skillet turning occasionally until browned (about 10 minutes) Drain bacon and crumble
- Once the potatoes are done, drain and return to pot
- Preheat oven to 350° F
- Add 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, evaporated milk, sour cream, salt and pepper into the pot with the potatoes
- Mash until creamed and spread potato mixture into baking dish
- Bake for 20 minutes
- Remove from the oven and top with bacon, green onions and ½ cup cheese
- Return to oven and bake an additional 4-6 minutes or until cheese is melted