This Toasted Caprese Sandwich starts with homemade pesto, slathered on toasted sourdough bread. But the real stars are the fresh tomatoes, basil and mozzarella on top!
Who doesn't love the fresh flavors of vine-ripe tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, and fresh-picked basil leaves? I'm forever coming up with versions of caprese dishes for my husband to try.
There's just something about the tomato-basil-mozzarella combo that is so good!
This is THE meatless summer sandwich to have at your next picnic or outing. Wrap the sandwiches in parchment paper to keep them fresh and delicious.
Using fresh local ingredients makes a big difference in this Toasted Caprese Sandwich. We grow our own tomatoes and basil in the summer, but if you don't (or they're not in season and you have a craving), visit your local farmer's market. Often times they will have fresh mozzarella or even freshly baked bread, too. And really, what's more quintessential summer than the farmer's market?
I am so inspired by The Pioneer Woman's Caprese Salad, (not to mention her incredible photographs.) If you want to add a little something special to this Toasted Caprese Sandwich, check out her balsamic reduction. You can serve it on the side or drizzle it right on top.
Having a party? Make smaller versions of these Toasted Caprese Sandwich for an appetizer or snack using French bread. They would be great for a party that way. They're also a great vegetarian option at a cookout just the way they are.
If you love Caprese flavors, next time try one of these delicious recipes:
- Caprese Chicken Sheet Pan Dinner
- Easy Basil Salt with Printable Label
- Antipasto Kabobs
- Rosemary Focaccia Bread Recipe
Next time, try one of these great recipes:
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 4 slices sour dough bread
- 2 tablespoons pesto I use homemade
- 4 slices fresh mozzarella cheese
- 4-6 large slices of tomato
- 3-4 large basil leaves chopped
- olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Balsamic vinegar optional
- Toast the bread until just crisp, then spread each slice with a thin layer of pesto.4 slices sour dough bread, 2 tablespoons pesto
- Layer half the mozzarella, tomato slices, and basil leaves on one of the slices.4 slices fresh mozzarella cheese, 4-6 large slices of tomato, 3-4 large basil leaves
- Season with a drizzle of olive oil, salt and pepper to taste, and add the chopped basil.olive oil, salt and pepper to taste
- Top with the second slice of bread.
- Repeat for the second sandwich.
- You can add a drizzle of balsamic vinegar to the sandwich also if you like.Balsamic vinegar
For best results, be sure to check our Tips and FAQs above with important tips and questions that can help your delicious recipe come out perfectly.
Sign up for our emails and never miss another recipe!!We'll never share your email or send you spam.
Want to add this recipe to your meal plan? Download our free printable meal plan here.