Easy Grilled Asparagus - If you're looking for tender, crisp asparagus perfectly cooked, you need to check out our recipe for how to grill asparagus in foil!
Fresh asparagus is one of our favorite vegetable sides during the summer and our favorite way to make it is on the grill.
Grilled asparagus is easy to make, packed with nutrients (see below), and a wonderful canvas for a variety of flavor profiles. Here, we opt for lemon or freshly grated Parmesan cheese, but simple butter, salt and pepper are great too. You have my permission to play with your food just this once to find the options that work for you.
Asparagus is a great source of vitamins A, C, E, and K, as well as fiber.Source
Why should you grill your asparagus?
Grilled asparagus means you lock in the nutrients that boiling would take away. I find it also makes it tender without being overcooked or mushy. Grilling your asparagus also adds flavor. Grilling asparagus in tinfoil means you won't lose any between the grates of your grill and helps you cook it perfectly every time. No burning!
- fresh asparagus
- extra virgin olive oil
- salt and black pepper
For serving (optional):
- fresh Parmesan cheese
This is meant to be a brief overview of our asparagus recipe. For step-by-step instructions and a full printable recipe card with ingredients, please scroll down to the teal box below or Jump to Recipe.
- Preheat the grill to 350 degrees F
- Clean and trim asparagus
- Add asparagus to a baking sheet
- Drizzle with olive oil
- Sprinkle on salt and pepper
- Place a piece of aluminum foil onto the grill grates.
- Place asparagus on top of the foil and grill for 5-8 minutes
- Serve immediately
More Amazing Grilling Recipes
If you need a protein or another side dish idea to go with this grilled asparagus, check out one of our Best Cookout Recipes such as:
The first time you try any new recipe we recommend that you make it just as it is written on the recipe card since that is how our recipe has been tested. However, the next time you make our easy side dish recipe, you might want to try one of these ideas:
- Thinly sliced red, yellow, and orange peppers along with onions are a great addition.
- Dill, chives, and tarragon both compliment asparagus. Tuck fresh herbs into the foil packets before grilling
- Add crumbled bacon just before serving.
- Serve this asparagus with our beloved Cowboy Butter for loads of extra flavor.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Gas Grill
- 1 lb asparagus approximately 1 bunch or 12 - 18 untrimmed spears
- 2-3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Lemons optional
- Freshly grated parmesan cheese optional
- Preheat your grill to 350 degrees F; medium-high heat
- Clean and trim the ends of the asparagus with a knife or snap them off by hand; placing them on a baking sheet
- Drizzle with olive oil
- Sprinkle on salt and pepper to taste
- Divide the asparagus spears into four servings and wrap with tinfoil
- Grill asparagus directly 5-8 minutes, depending on size, turning frequently
- Serve immediately with grilled or fresh lemons slices or freshly grated parmesan cheese if you like
For best results, be sure to check our Tips and FAQs above with important tips and questions that can help your delicious recipe come out perfectly.