Cowboy Caviar Recipe will be the hit of your next get together, and best of all, it comes together in about 15 minutes!
Cowboy Caviar is also sometimes known as Texas Caviar or Mexican Caviar. It’s usually made with finely chopped fresh veggies, black-eyed peas and black beans, and tossed in a vinaigrette. It’s great for parties as an appetizer, or even a side dish (try it as a side to our grilled chipotle marinated chicken!)
I’ll admit that sometimes when I try a new recipe, Mr. Juggling Act is not all that impressed. Sometimes I tweak and restest and it works out, and sometimes I move on to another recipe. Then there are recipes like this one that are beloved from the very beginning. In fact, Mr. Juggling Act gobbled so much of this up when I made it the first time that I had to make a second batch to photograph it! It’s really that good!
Cowboy Caviar Recipe Shopping List
- black beans
- red onion
- red, yellow, orange or green pepper
- jalapeno pepper
- fresh garlic
From the pantry: granulated sugar, olive oil, red wine cider vinegar, ground cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper.
Items You May Also Need:
Some of the items below contain affiliate links; I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. However, I only promote things that I love and think you will love, too. For more information, please see my Disclosure Policy.
Products from Amazon.com
Price: Check on Amazon
For a list of some of my favorite items to use when cooking, and why I chose them, please visit my Kitchen Resource page.
Cowboy Caviar Recipe
If you’re looking for an amazing side dish or quick appetizer, make this cowboy caviar! Friends and family will rave over it. Warning, you might want to make a double batch because it’s sure to disappear!
Cowboy Caviar Recipe
- 3 Roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1-1/2 cups sweet corn kernals
- 1 red, orange or green bell pepper
- 1/3 cup red onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, finely diced
- 1 15oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/3 cup cilantro (optional)
For the Dressing
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 glove garlic, finely minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
To Make the Dressing
- In a small bowl, whisk together all of the ingredients for the dressing. Set aside.
To Assemble the Cowboy Caviar
- In a large bowl, combine all of the chopped vegetables and the black beans. Toss with cilantro (if desired).
- Pour the dressing over the vegetable and bean mixture and toss to coat.
- To serve as an appetizer, put out alongside tortilla chips.
Cowboy Caviar Recipe Variations
- Traditionally, a Cowboy Caviar recipe includes black-eyed peas. Add one 15oz can if you like.
- For creaminess, you can chop up one avocado and toss with lime juice before incorporating it with the rest of the ingredients.
So, when you’re done making this cowboy caviar recipe, serve it as an appetizer with tortilla chips, or as a side dish alongside grilled chicken, pork or beef. It’s sure to be a big hit!