As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Pina Colada Smoothie
It’s time to kick off summer! Take a break, slip on some shades, a big floppy hat and enjoy the sunshine with this Virgin Pina Colada Smoothie – just close your eyes and pretend you’re in the tropics!
CONFESSION: I love a beautiful flower garden and being able to harvest my own vegetables and herbs. However, I hate the work it takes to create and maintain one. My mother is a master gardener, but I did not inherit her skills. I don’t really like getting dirty and bugs creep me out. But most of all, I loathe weeding.
Sometimes, I need to bribe myself to get through the work. And you know what I do like? Pina Coladas. I adore them. When Mr. Juggling Act and I went to Hawaii for my sister’s wedding, it was the first (and one of the only) drink I ordered… and it was heavenly.
While I’m not against ‘day drinking’ on occasion, the truth is I’m a lightweight. Alcohol makes me silly and sleepy, even a few sips. So in order to not miss out on summer fun with the kiddos, and keep my garden maintained, I bribe myself with this treat. I can whip up this virgin pina colada smoothie in minutes. It’s just the thing when I want to relax and pretend I’m in Hawaii or some other tropical vacation spot.
Made with fresh fruit, and no alcohol, it’s a kid-friendly treat, too. So cheers to a beautiful and bountiful garden this year, maintained with the promise of a tasty virgin pina colada smoothie for the gardener!
Where Did Pina Coladas Come From?
Pina Coladas are a sweet cocktail made with rum, pineapples and coconuts. They have been the national drink of Puerto Rico since 1978! Yup! Pina Coladas were first created in Puerto Rico in the 1970s.
Pina Colada Smoothie Shopping List
To make this amazing virgin pina colada smoothie, you just need a few ingredients!
- Cream of Coconut
- Pineapple Pieces
- Pineapple Juice
- Coconut Flakes
- Don’t forget the fun straws!
What is Cream of Coconut?
I use this Hamilton Beach Blender model in my home. This blender also works great for blended drinks, and even has a setting to crush ice. Possibly my favorite feature though is that it is dishwasher safe. (I hate to do dishes!)
For a list of some of my favorite items to use when cooking, and why I chose them, please visit my Kitchen Resource page.
Pina Colada Smoothie
You can make these for your kids without any guilt. These are actually packed with vitamins!
- 4 oz cream of coconut
- 1 cup of fresh pineapple chopped
- 2 cups of pineapple juice
- 1/3 cup of coconut flakes
- Add all of the ingredients into a blender and process until it is smooth and creamy.
Virgin Pina Colada Smoothie Variations
- Do you like your pina colada smoothies to be more like a slushie? Then feel free to add more ice! If you prefer to have something that can easily be slurped through a pretty straw, use less ice. It’s all up to you!
- Now should you decide you want to up the ante with this smoothie, you can add in 3 ounces of golden or coconut rum and you have an adult-only treat!
Best Coconut Flakes For Pina Colada Smoothie
For the coconut flakes, I like to use Let’s Do Organic Shredded, Unsweetened Coconut. I don’t mind buying it in bulk since I use it for granola bars and cookies frequently. But if you only want to buy a little, you can find smaller packages at Whole Foods or Trader Joes.
You Might also like These Immunity Boosting Smoothies
From left to right:
Can’t Get Enough Smoothies? Here are recipes from my favorite blogs:
- Mango Berry Protein Smoothie – Garlic & Zest – This smoothie tastes like dessert but is as filling as an entire meal!
- Sweet Potatoe Smoothie – A Mindfull Mom – This one tastes just like pie without all the added sugars.
- Mango Banana Carrot Smoothie – A Hedgehog in the Kitchen – This has carrot juice in it to add more vitamins and color! It’s incredibly flavorful.