Our Instant Pot Beef Stew Recipe is perfect for a cold winter day, without having to wait hours and hours to eat!
Normally beef stew, because it contains tough cuts of meat and hard root vegetables takes hours in the slow cooker or Dutch Oven. With this instant pot beef stew recipe, you can be sitting down to eat in less than 2 hours! Yep, you read that right. This is an Instant Pot Beef Stew Recipe with amazing cooked-all-day flavor that is ready in about 90 minutes. This recipe SO good that it made our top recipes of 2018 list!
Some of the items below contain affiliate links; I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. I am also an affiliate for other programs. However, I only promote things that I love and think you will love, too. For more information, please see our Disclosure Policy.
I’ll admit I was slow to join the Instant Pot craze. I just wasn’t sure I wanted to have another appliance in my kitchen. My friend Deb shared her Instant Pot 101 Cheat Sheet with me and now I’m so excited about all the time my Instant Pot saves me.
By the way, if you love this recipe, you’ll want to check out our Beef Tips and Gravy – another family favorite!
Instant Pot Beef Stew Recipe Shopping List
- 2.5 lb bottom round beef roast
- Yukon gold potatoes
- sweet potatoes
- red onion
- beef stock
- fresh thyme (rosemary is also delicious)
- rainbow carrots
From the pantry: olive oil, salt and pepper.
One of the reasons I love beef stew so much is that it’s loaded with nutrient-rich root vegetables, which have a very high concentration of iron. Plus, root veggies are great sources of vitamins A, B, and C. Check out this Guide to Root Vegetables for everything you ever wanted to know about root vegetables!
Pro Tip: Look for root vegetables that are very firm – the harder, the better!
You Might Also Need:
For a list of some of my favorite items to use when cooking, and why I chose them, please visit my Kitchen Resource page.
Pro Tips for this Instant Pot Beef Stew Recipe
The final amount of time needed may depend on the shape and thickness of the piece of meat. It is imperative that your roast is in the center of the inner pot to help with even cooking and tenderizing.
Instant Pot Beef Stew Recipe Variations
- Add other root vegetables such as butternut squash, parsnips or golden beets for extra nutrition and flavor.
- If you’re not a fan of thyme, use other herbs such as rosemary. Bay leaves also give beef stew a wonderful flavor.
Slow Cooker Beef Stew Variation
Here’s how to make this recipe in your slow cooker instead of the instant pot:
- Season the beef with salt and pepper and then dust with flour.
- In a hot skillet, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Sear the beef on all sides, then place into the slow cooker crock.
- Deglaze the pan with the beef stock to get all the brown bits off the bottom and transfer them to the slow cooker.
- Add the prepared vegetables.
- Set the slow cooker on low for 8 hours.
- Just before the time is up, add the fresh herbs to brighten up the beef stew.
Our Favorite Instant Pot Recipes:
from left to right:
- Instant Pot Asian-Inspired Baby Back Ribs
- Perfect Instant Pot Meatloaf
- Easy Instant Pot Pork Tenderloin Dinner
Check out more delicious instant pot recipes, for more great quick meal ideas.
Instant Pot Beef Stew Recipe
If you love this recipe, please give it a 5 star rating!
Instant Pot Beef Stew
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2.5 lb bottom round beef roast
- 1/4 cup flour
- 6 small Yukon gold potatoes peeled
- 3 medium purple potatoes peeled and halved
- 2 large sweet potatoes peeled and sliced into 1″ thick pieces
- 1 medium red onion chopped
- 6 cups beef stock or broth
- 2 cups baby rainbow carrots
- salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh thyme about 8 whole stalks
- Heat the oil in the Instant Pot’s inner pot using the saute setting.
- Flour the bottom round roast, rubbing it all over the meat. Shake off excess.
- Sear each each side of the meat until browned.
- Remove the meat from the pot while you deglaze the pan using 1 cup of the beef stock or broth.
- Return the meat to the center of the pot. Add the vegetables all around the meat. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the remaining beef stock or broth and the fresh thyme.
- Double check the sealing ring, then twist on the locking lid.
- Cancel the Saute setting and select Meat/Stew setting for 45 minutes.
- When the pressurized cook time has ended, the pot will beep a few times. Allow the Instant Pot to natural pressure release (NPR) for about 30 minutes.
- Serve warm with crusty bread!
Did you make this?
Tag @jugglingactmama on Instagram with #jugglingactmama!