Our Baked Spaghetti Squash recipe is loaded with delicious flavors of garlic, Parmesan, and tomatoes. It is the perfect dish for when you're trying to avoid carbs, but you're craving pasta. This dish seems decadent, but it's really pretty good for you!
You might also enjoy this yummy Oven Roasted Acorn Squash.
I know what you're thinking... Juggling Act Mama is doing a vegetable recipe - as a main dish??
Yes, I am.
Sure this is a far cry from my decadent Pulled Pork Mac and Cheese, but this Baked Spaghetti Squash recipe is so delicious, you will make it again and again for your family. It's a great way to get your kids to eat more veggies, too!
Best Way to Cook Spaghetti Squash
This recipe has all the cheesy, garlicky goodness of an Alfredo bake, without the heavy cream or pasta. I know you're skeptical, I was too. Roasting the spaghetti squash first brings out a rich flavor in the vegetable. All you need is a sheet pan, salt, pepper and olive oil. It's so simple!
And let's face it, cheese is one of my all-time favorite ingredients. Everything is better with cheese. Pile on the Parmesan and you've got me wrapped around your finger!
How do I bake a whole spaghetti squash?
- Slice the spaghetti squash in half. Scoop out the pulp and seeds and discard.
- Add olive oil, salt and pepper to both sides of the spaghetti squash.
- Bake cut side down at 375-F degrees for 40 minutes until golden and tender.
- Scrape the slightly cooled spaghetti squash with a fork.
Baked Spaghetti Squash Recipe Shopping List
- spaghetti squash
- Parmesan cheese
- fresh garlic
- fresh tomatoes
From the pantry: olive oil, salt, and pepper.
For a list of some of my favorite items to use when cooking, and why I chose them, please visit my Kitchen Resource page.
How to Put Together Baked Spaghetti Squash Recipe
- Saute the garlic in the olive oil in a large pan then toss in all the spaghetti squash.
- Remove from the heat and add butter.
- Grease a casserole dish and preheat the oven to 350-F degrees.
- Transfer the spaghetti squash mixture to the baking dish.
- Top with cheese and sliced tomatoes.
- Bake for 30 minutes until the cheese is golden and bubbly.
How simple is that? And it tastes amazing - you really won't miss the pasta with all this cheesy goodness! (But just in case you do miss the real stuff, check out my delicious Homemade Spinach Pasta that's made from scratch in just 30 minutes.)
Cheesy Baked Spaghetti Squash Recipe
Baked Spaghetti Squash
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 1 large spaghetti squash
- Olive oil salt and pepper
- 1 garlic minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 large tomato sliced
- chives or parsley
- Preheat oven to 375-degrees F. Cut the ends of the squash, then cut it in half, lengthwise. Scoop out all the seeds and pulp; discard.
- Drizzle the squash with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place them face down on a cookie sheet and drizzle a little more olive oil on the skin. Cover and bake for 40 minutes.
- Once cool enough to handle, scrape the inside of each squash with a fork. Set aside while you make the garlic and olive oil mixture.
- Preheat the oven to 350-degrees F and lightly grease a baking dish with butter or cooking spray.
- Saute the garlic in the olive oil in a large pan. After a minute toss in all the spaghetti squash. Coat the squash with the oil and garlic until the garlic is well cooked and the squash is heated. Remove from heat and add the butter.
- Spoon into a large baking dish and top with Parmesan cheese, if desired.
- Top with slices of tomato and a sprinkle of salt.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until cheese is bubbly. Then switch to broiler just until the cheese is slightly browned. Garnish with parsley or chives, if desired.
Sign up for our emails and never miss another recipe!!We'll never share your email or send you spam.
How to Serve Baked Spaghetti Squash
This baked spaghetti squash recipe is perfect as a main meal, but if you're wanting to add a little protein to your meal, you could serve with grilled chicken breast.
Try using our Garlic and Basil Compound Butter for extra flavor. You can also add a pinch of red pepper flake to the olive oil when you're sauteing the garlic for a little extra kick.