Like big flavors with minimal fuss? You will fall in love with this succulent Grilled Lemon Pepper Chicken Breast Recipe. It is the perfect way to liven up your weeknight dinner menu, and an easy option for your weekend grill out.
The simple marinade has a tangy lemon flavor that pairs beautifully with pepper and garlic to deliver just the right amount of punch. Pair this Grilled Lemon Chicken with a simple side salad for the perfect summer meal!
We love big flavors in our family, and this recipe really delivers without a lot of fuss! Because who has time for fussy recipes? It is summer and to me, that involved keeping things simple.
(And if at all possible, to avoid turning on the oven.)
I love to grill boneless skinless chicken. It is a relatively inexpensive protein which is a bonus since I have teenage boys who can really eat!
The only problem is that because the cut is so low in fat it doesn't bring a lot of flavor to the table. And that is where this delicious tangy marinade comes in. I am obsessed with its bright lemony flavor and punchy garlic-pepper kick. I think you will be too! (If you like this, I know you'll also love this Lemon Garlic Chicken Marinade recipe, so make sure you check that one out too.)
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Olive oil or avocado oil
- Lemon juice
- Fresh rosemary
- Dijon mustard
- Sea salt
- Coarse Black pepper
- First, make the lemon pepper marinade: combine the olive oil, lemon juice, rosemary, Dijon mustard, garlic, salt, and pepper in a small bowl or blender. Mix until combined.
- After that, place the chicken in a shallow dish or large resealable bag. Add all but 1 tablespoon of the marinade and refrigerate for 2 to 4 hours.
- Next, heat a grill to medium heat. Oil the grate and then add the chicken. Grill covered for 7 minutes.
- Finally, flip the chicken and cook for about 7 minutes more, until an instant-read thermometer registers 160 degrees. (Actual time will depend on the thickness of the chicken.) Transfer to a plate and allow to rest for at least 5 minutes prior to serving.
Because we test all our recipes, we recommend that you make them once just as it is without substitutions or changes. Sometimes variations can go awry. Making our Grilled Lemon Pepper Chicken recipe as we have tested it will yield the best results. If you really want to get creative, here are some ideas for variations that might work well. (Please note, we have not tested these variations).
- Use thyme or parsley instead of rosemary.
- Top with feta cheese and diced Kalamata olives.
- Add a ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper to the marinade.
- If you prefer you can use chicken thighs or bone in chicken. Just be sure to adjust the cooking time and use an instant-read thermometer to make sure your chicken is cooked through. You can read more about safe minimum temperatures here.
- If you're short on time, you can use store-bought lemon pepper seasoning, but for the best flavor, I recommend using fresh lemons.
This flavorful lemon pepper chicken marinade can also be used on chicken thighs and chicken legs in addition to boneless chicken breasts.
For even more lemon flavor, add a little bit of lemon zest to the marinade along with the fresh lemon juice. The zest really adds bold citrus flavor!
What to Do With Leftovers
Store leftover chicken in an airtight container for 3-5 days.
- I like to double this recipe and use the leftovers to make Chicken Salad.
- It is also fabulous in wraps!
- This recipe lends a refreshing vibrance to Chicken Pot Pie or Chicken Pot Pie Soup.
Next time, try one of these other chicken breast recipes:
- spicy grilled chicken
- sheet pan balsamic chicken
- teriyaki chicken skewers
- garlic brown sugar chicken
You'll also love these delicious grilled bone-in chicken thighs - they're so flavorful!
More chicken recipes:
- Serve with Rice Cooker Parmesan Risotto or Honey Glazed Baby Carrots.
- For a light side, try this Parmesan Asparagus Recipe.
- Finish off the meal with Honey Lime Fruit Salad
- For a low-carb or keto meal, serve with Zucchini Noodles or Mashed Cauliflower.
- Serve with your favorite Roasted Vegetables drizzled with balsamic glaze.
More Side Dishes:
Grilled Lemon Pepper Chicken Breast
This Grilled Lemon Chicken is so simple to make, and positively addictive. With a bright lemony tang, and a kick of garlic this dish will become your go-to grilled chicken recipe.
If you enjoy this recipe, I'd love for you to give it 5 stars!
Grilled Lemon Pepper Chicken
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 24 ounces boneless skinless chicken breast
- ¼ cup olive oil or avocado oil
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary chopped
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- In a small bowl or blender combine olive oil, lemon juice, rosemary, Dijon mustard, garlic, salt, and pepper. Mix until thoroughly combined.
- Place the chicken in a shallow dish or large zip-top bag.
- Add all but 1 tablespoon of the marinade, and refrigerate for 2 to 4 hours.
- Heat a grill to medium heat. (About 350 degrees F.)
- Oil the grate and then add chicken.
- Grill covered for 7 minutes.
- Flip and brush with the reserved marinade.
- Cook for about 7 minutes more, until an instant-read thermometer, registers 160 degrees.
- Transfer to a clean plate and allow to rest for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
For best results, be sure to check our Tips and FAQs above with important tips and questions that can help your delicious recipe come out perfectly.
Sign up for our emails and never miss another recipe!!We'll never share your email or send you spam.
About the Author: Wendy Polisi is a cookbook author and veteran blogger who recently embraced a low carbohydrate lifestyle to help combat auto-immune disease and regain health. You can find her at Kicking Carbs, and connect on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest, and Twitter.