Like big flavors with minimal fuss? You will fall in love with this succulent Grilled Lemon Pepper Chicken. It is the perfect way to liven up your weeknight dinner menu, and an easy option for your weekend grill out. The simple marinade has a tangy lemon flavor that pairs beautifully with pepper and garlic to deliver just the right amount of punch. Pair this Grilled Lemon Chicken with a simple side salad for the perfect summer meal!
Table of contents
Hi Juggling Act Mama readers! My name is Wendy and I am visiting from Kicking Carbs. I am excited to be here with you to share this simple and delicious Grilled Lemon Pepper Chicken recipe.
We love big flavors in our family, and this recipe really delivers without a lot of fuss! Because who has time for fussy recipes? It is summer and to me, that involved keeping things simple.
(And if at all possible, to avoid turning on the oven.)
I love to grill boneless skinless chicken. It is a relatively inexpensive protein which is a bonus since I have teenage boys who can really eat!
The only problem is that because the cut is so low in fat it doesn’t bring a lot of flavor to the table. And that is where this delicious tangy marinade comes in. I am obsessed with its bright lemony flavor and punchy garlic-pepper kick. I think you will be too! (If you like this, I know you’ll love Ang’s Lemon Garlic Chicken Marinade recipe, so make sure you check that one out too.)
Grilled Lemon Pepper Chicken Shopping List
- Boneless skinless chicken breast
- Olive oil or avocado oil
- Lemon juice
- Fresh rosemary
- Dijon mustard
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
How To Make Grilled Lemon Chicken
- First, combine oil, lemon juice, rosemary, Dijon mustard, garlic, salt, and pepper in a small bowl or blender. Mix until combined.
- After that, place the chicken in a shallow dish or large zip-top bag. Add all but 1 tablespoon of the marinade and refrigerate for 2 to 4 hours.
- Next, heat a grill to medium heat. Oil the grate and then add the chicken. Grill covered for 7 minutes.
- Finally, flip the chicken and cook for about 7 minutes more, until an instant-read thermometer registers 160 degrees. (Actual time will depend on the thickness of the chicken.) Transfer to a plate and allow to rest for at least 5 minutes prior to serving.
Lemon Pepper Chicken Recipe Variations
Because we test all our recipes, we recommend that you make them once just as it is without substitutions or changes. Sometimes variations can go awry. Making our Grilled Lemon Chicken recipe as we have tested it will yield the best results. If you really want to get creative, here are some ideas for variations that might work well. (Please note, we have not tested these variations).
- Use thyme or parsley instead of rosemary.
- Top with feta cheese and diced Kalamata olives.
- Add a 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper to the marinade.
- If you prefer you can use chicken thighs or bone in chicken. Just be sure to adjust the cooking time and use an instant-read thermometer to make sure your chicken is cooked through. You can read more about safe minimum temperatures here.
What to Do With Leftovers
- I like to double this recipe and use the leftovers to make Chicken Salad.
- It is also fabulous in wraps!
- This recipe lends a refreshing vibrance to Chicken Pot Pie or Chicken Pot Pie Soup.
Serving Suggestions for Grilled Lemon Chicken
- Serve with Rice Cooker Parmesan Risotto.
- For a light side, try this Parmesan Asparagus Recipe.
- Finish off the meal with Honey Lime Fruit Salad
Grilled Lemon Pepper Chicken
This Grilled Lemon Chicken is so simple to make, and positively addictive. With a bright lemony tang, and a kick of garlic this dish will become your go-to grilled chicken recipe. If you are pressed for time, you can cut the marinating down to 30 minutes. It will still taste great!
If you enjoy this recipe, I’d love for you to give it 5 stars!
Grilled Lemon Pepper Chicken
- 24 ounces boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1/4 cup olive oil or avocado oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary chopped
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- In a small bowl or blender combine olive oil, lemon juice, rosemary, Dijon mustard, garlic, salt, and pepper. Mix until thoroughly combined.
- Place the chicken in a shallow dish or large zip-top bag.
- Add all but 1 tablespoon of the marinade, and refrigerate for 2 to 4 hours.
- Heat a grill to medium heat. (About 350 degrees F.)
- Oil the grate and then add chicken.
- Grill covered for 7 minutes.
- Flip and brush with the reserved marinade.
- Cook for about 7 minutes more, until an instant-read thermometer, registers 160 degrees.
- Transfer to a clean plate and allow to rest for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
About the Author:
Wendy Polisi is a cookbook author and veteran blogger who recently embraced a low carbohydrate lifestyle to help combat auto-immune disease and regain health. You can find her at Kicking Carbs, and connect on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest, and Twitter.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Be sure to check out my Amazon storefront for some of my favorite products!