Irresistible Mac and Cheese and tangy slow cooker pulled pork make the perfect combo!
When it comes to an amazing dish, look no further than this incredible Pulled Pork Mac and Cheese. One bite, and you’ll be in love!
Pro Tip: Make a double batch of pulled pork. It’s simple and means you have part of another meal ready to go!
Shopping List for Pulled Pork Mac and Cheese:
Here is what you’ll need to make the mac and cheese part of the recipe.
- Butter, Heavy Cream and Milk
- Gouda, Parmesan Romano and Sharp Cheddar Cheeses
From the Panty:
- Panko Breadcrumbs
- Granulated Garlic
- Ground mustard
- All-Purpose Flour
- Pasta (I used Cavatappi)
Items You May Also Need:
Some of the items below contain affiliate links; I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. However, I only promote things that I love and think you will love, too. For more information, please see my Disclosure Policy.
Products from Amazon.com
- Price: $40.95Was: $49.99
- Price: $12.99Was: $43.00
- Price: $5.99
What is the best cheese to use in mac and cheese?
You need to have cheeses that melt well, and have great flavor. The base of this cheese sauce is a white sauce so using strong cheeses like Gouda, Cheddar, Monterrey jack or Gruyere are best. Gouda is my personal favorite, paired with Sharp Cheddar because that’s what my mom always uses.
How long can you keep homemade cheese sauce in the fridge?
Cheese sauces are tricky but once you master the technique, you’ll be making it all the time. To save yourself some time, make this cheese sauce ahead of time. Place it in an airtight container and refrigerate for 3 to 4 days.
What spices go well with mac and cheese?
Garlic, nutmeg and ground mustard all compliment the cheeses in this pulled pork mac and cheese recipe. If you like it a little spicy, add a pinch or two of Cayenne pepper or a dash of hot sauce.
How long do you bake mac and cheese?
Pulled Pork Mac and Cheese
Pulled Pork Mac and Cheese
- 1 pound pulled pork ,prepared
- 1 lb pasta such as cavatappi or shells , cooked
- BBQ sauce to drizzle on top
- Parsley for garnish optional
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2/3 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan Romano cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic
- salt and pepper , to taste
Macaroni and Cheese
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- 8 ounces gouda
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar
- Nutmeg to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
To Make the Topping:
- In a skillet over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the Panko bread crumbs and season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle on the granulated garlic then add the Parmesan Romano grated cheese. Use a spatula to move the mixture around the pan so that it all gets toasted. Remove from the heat and set aside.
To Make the Cheese Sauce:
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Whisk in the flour and cook for 2 minutes, stirring often.
- Slowly drizzle in the milk, whisking constantly. Then add the cream and continue to whisk.
- Use a microplane to grate the nutmeg. I use about a 1/2 teaspoon.
- Add the granulated garlic, and ground mustard. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Reserve about 2 ounces of cheese for the topping
- When the cream mixture is very warm, begin adding the cheese about 1/4 cup at a time. Whisk well after each addition and make sure the cheese is melted before adding the next batch.
- After the cheese is all incorporated, taste for seasoning and add additional salt and pepper as needed. You can also add a pinch of cayenne pepper if you would like to give your cheese sauce a little kick.
- Use spatula or wooden spoon to fold the pasta into the cheese sauce.
- A spoonful of mac and cheese scooped from a full stock potwith a dish of pulled pork in the background next to a turqoise towel.
To Assemble the Dish:
- Preheat a your oven 325 degrees F. Butter a 9×12 baking dish. Put the pulled pork on the bottom.
- Spoon the mac and cheese over the pulled pork in the prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle the top of the mac and cheese with the reserved cheese, then add the bread crumb topping.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes. Remove the baking dish from the oven and let it sit 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
- Drizzle on a little barbecue sauce just before serving.
Delicious Weeknight Dinner Recipes:
from left to right:
- For a super fast weeknight dinner, I made Chicken Tortilla Soup. It’s full of big flavor and tastes amazing! This is another one that is lovely to make a double batch, and give to a friend that might be sick or needing a hand.
- Mini Shepherd’s Pie is a reader favor and super easy to make ahead. It freezes well also so it’s a great meal to make for a new mom or elderly loved one.
- Chorizo Sheet Pan Dinner is delicious and has the least amount of clean up – just one pan, and it’s lined with foil! Prep the veggies a couple days ahead of time and then just grab them from the fridge when it’s time to pop it in the oven!
- When you don’t have a lot of time to prep a meal, plan ahead and make Slow Cooker Honey Chicken instead. The house will smell amazing and the kids will gobble it up!