This dense, buttery Shortbread Magic Bars Recipe is a must-have for entertaining! This recipe takes traditional magic bar ingredients like chocolate and coconut to a whole new level by making the crust from shortbread instead of graham crackers. It is the perfect mashup of cookie meets bar!
So I’ll admit I’m late to the Magic Bar game. Growing up my mother made raspberry bars, which I guess would fall into the Magic Bar category kinda sorta.
While I’ve always enjoyed that treat, graham cracker crumb crusts are not my favorite.
Shortbread, on the other hand; like these Homemade Twix Cookies is a whole other matter! Let’s face it, I’m a sucker for anything with loads of butter and sugar!
These bars are absolutely, undeniably one of the most magical things I have ever put in my mouth. The shortbread with the decadence from the chocolate and the caramel is utterly amazing!
Some of the items below contain affiliate links; I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. However, I only promote things that I love and think you will love, too. For more information, please see our Disclosure Policy.
- unsalted butter
- brown sugar
- vanilla extract
- all-purpose flour
- sweetened condensed milk
- shredded coconut
- mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- dark chocolate chips
- toffee bits
Items you may also need:
Products from Amazon.com
Price: $32.96Was: $50.00
For a list of some of my favorite items to use when cooking, please visit my Kitchen Resource page.
Magic Cookie Bars Recipe
These shortbread magic bars are sure to be a new family favorite. I know I can’t get enough of them!
Steps to make bar recipe
- Preheat the oven to
350-degrees,line a 9×9 square baking pan with parchment paper.
- Add butter and brown sugar a bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat until fluffy. Add the vanilla extract, mix to combine.
- Next, scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add in the flour slowly, with the mixer set on the lowest speed.
- Press the mixture it into the prepared pan. Bake for 15 minutes until the crust is golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and cool.
- Sprinkle the crust with chopped nuts and coconut.
- Pour the sweetened condensed milk over the top. Top with chocolate chips, toffee chips
anddark chocolate chips.
- Place the pan back in the oven and bake for another 20-25 minutes.
- Remove from oven, cool completely.
- Refrigerate before using the parchment paper to remove the bars from the pan.
- Cut into squares and store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
You can swap out the toppings, if you like. Here are some ideas:
- milk chocolate, butterscotch or peanut butter chips
- chopped walnuts, hazlenuts or macadamia nuts
Do magic cookie bars need refrigerated?
No, these do not need to be refrigerated. If they had eggs, I’d say yes but they will keep well as long as they are well-sealed.
Do magic bars freeze well?
They freeze very nicely! If you decide to make a double-batch and freeze half you’ll be glad you did!
How long do these bars last?
Technically they will last 2-3 weeks when well sealed BUT I’ve never had them last longer than a couple of days in our home! 😋
How do you know the bars are done baking?
You can test them with a toothpick, or keep an eye on them. When they are done they will just begin to pull away from the side of the pan.
More Dessert Recipes:
from left to right:
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bars – this one is a family favorite
- Pumpkin Cream Cheese Cake Balls – such a fun treat
- Red Velvet Cheesecake Brownies – chocolate perfection
- Decadent Mocha Truffles – decadent and amazing
- Homemade Twix Cookies – delicious buttery and sweet
- Shortbread Cookies with Confetti – fun and festive cookies
Have you already made and love this recipe? I knew you would!! Please be sure to leave a comment below with a five star rating, that would make my day! And if you’re over on Instagram, you can tag me with #jugglingactmama or @jugglingactymama so I get to see your photos!!
Magic Bars Recipe
Shortbread Magic Bars Recipe
For the Crust:
- 1 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- pinch of salt
For the Topping:
- 1 14oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cups chopped pecans
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1 cup toffee chips
- 1 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350-degrees F. Line a 9×9 square baking pan with parchment paper so that it hangs over the sides. (This will make the bars easier to remove).
- Add the butter and brown sugar to the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Beat until fluffy. Add the vanilla extract and mix to combine.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl and then add in the flour slowly, with the mixer set on the lowest speed.
- Once the mixture is combined, press it into the prepared pan. Bake for 15 minutes until the edges of the crust are golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and set on a wire rack.
- Sprinkle the crust with the chopped pecans and shredded coconut.
- Pour the sweetened condensed milk over the top and then add the mini semisweet chocolate chips, toffee chips and dark chocolate chips.
- Place the pan back in the oven and bake for another 20-25 minutes. Remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes before using the parchment paper to remove the bar from the pan. Cut into squares and store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.