This dense buttery Shortbread Magic Bars Recipe is a must-have for entertaining!
Our shortbread Magic Bars recipe takes traditional magic bar ingredients like chocolate and coconut to a whole new level by making the crust from shortbread instead of graham crackers. It is the perfect mashup of cookie meets bar.
So I’ll admit I’m late to the Magic Bar game. Growing up my mother made raspberry bars , which I guess would fall into the Magic Bar category in a way. While I’ve always enjoyed that treat, graham cracker crumb crusts are not my favorite.
Shortbread on the other hand is a whole other matter. Let’s face it, I’m a sucker for anything with loads of butter and sugar. These shortbread magic bars are absolutely, undeniably one of the most magical things I have ever put in my mouth. The shortbread with the decadence from the chocolate and the caramel are just utterly amazing.
Some of the items below contain affiliate links; I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. However, I only promote things that I love and think you will love, too. For more information, please see our Disclosure Policy.
- unsalted butter
- brown sugar
- vanilla extract
- all-purpose flour
- sweetened condensed milk
- shredded coconut
- mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- dark chocolate chips
- toffee bits
Items you may also need:
- stand mixer
- measuring cups and spoons
- parchment paper
- baking pan
Products from Amazon.com
Price: $31.64Was: $50.00
Price: Check on Amazon
For a list of some of my favorite items to use when cooking, please visit my Kitchen Resource page.
Shortbread Magic Bars Recipe
I love the idea of magic bars, but I’m not crazy about the graham cracker crust that they are built on. Substituting that with a shortbread cookie mixture is the perfect solution. It’s not too sweet, so it complements the toppings perfectly. And those toppings! I love any recipe that lets you mix and match your favorite flavors.
Shortbread Magic Bars Recipe
For the Crust:
- 1 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- pinch of salt
For the Topping:
- 1 14oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cups chopped pecans
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1 cup toffee chips
- 1 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350-degrees F. Line a 9x9 square baking pan with parchment paper so that it hangs over the sides. (This will make the bars easier to remove).
- Add the butter and brown sugar to the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Beat until fluffy. Add the vanilla extract and mix to combine.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl and then add in the flour slowly, with the mixer set on the lowest speed.
- Once the mixture is combined, press it into the prepared pan. Bake for 15 minutes until the edges of the crust are golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and set on a wire rack.
- Sprinkle the crust with the chopped pecans and shredded coconut.
- Pour the sweetened condensed milk over the top and then add the mini semisweet chocolate chips, toffee chips and dark chocolate chips.
- Place the pan back in the oven and bake for another 20-25 minutes. Remove to a wire rack to cool completely. Refrigerate for 30 minutes before using the parchment paper to remove the bar from the pan. Cut into squares and store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
These shortbread magic bars are sure to be a new family favorite. I know I can’t get enough of them!
You can swap out the toppings, if you like. Here are some ideas:
- milk chocolate, butterscotch or peanut butter chips
- chopped walnuts, hazlenuts or macadamia nuts
More Dessert Recipes:
from left to right:
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bars
- Pumpkin Cream Cheese Cake Balls
- Red Velvet Cheesecake Brownies
- Decadent Mocha Truffles
- Homemade Twix Cookies