Wooden Spoon Garden Markers are a fun and cute project you can do to add a little whimsy to your vegetable garden. Get the full tutorial below.
Every year, we plant a small garden in our back yard. It’s a nice way to connect with nature and teach the kids all kinds of lessons about where their food comes from and how it grows. This year, we made our own Wooden Spoon Garden Markers. It’s pretty easy, honestly. You don’t have to be an accomplished artist to make these cute garden markers. You just need a few simple inexpensive materials. You can pick up cheap wooden spoons at the Dollar Store. I used hair spray to coat them, it gives a shine and protects the paint, and there’s no need for an acrylic overlay!
Wooden Spoon Garden Markers
Some of the items below contain affiliate links; I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. However, I only promote things that I love and think you will love, too. For more information, please see our Disclosure Policy.
Here’s how to make these cute Wooden Spoon Garden Markers:
- Craft Paint ( We have this 18 Piece Apple Barrel Acrylic Paint Set that works great)
- Paint Brushes
- Wooden Spoons
- Black Sharpie
Products from Amazon.com
Price: Check on Amazon
Garden Marker Instructions:
- Paint the spoons all white, allow to dry.
- Decide which vegetables you need each spoon for and paint a picture on the large part.
- Use the sharpie to write the name of the vegetable down the spoon handle. (You can paint this if you have a fine brush, but we think it is easier to use a marker)
- Allow the spoons to dry completely.
- In a well ventilated area, spray the spoons (front and back) with aerosol hair spray. The hair spray will coat the spoons protecting the paint and giving them a nice shine!
That’s all there is to it! I love how cute these look in the garden and can’t wait to see our veggies start growing!
You might also enjoy these other garden marker ideas.
More Ideas for Spring and Summer:
If you enjoyed this garden marker tutorial, you might also like these fun summery ideas for your backyard:
from left to right:
- We love filling our DIY Pallet Planter with beautiful flowering annuals.
- These All Natural Insect Repellent Jars are both beautiful and functional!
- Our sweet DIY Rustic Succulent Garden is fun to make with the kids.