Bring back the nostalgia of Grandma's old fashioned tuna casserole with this delicious meal to feed the whole family.
Old Fashioned Tuna Casserole is a classic dish made with pantry staples. It's a really great option for busy weeknights when you need to get food on the dinner table fast!
Homemade tuna casserole is made with tender egg noodles, canned tuna, and a deliciously creamy sauce. Then it's topped with shredded cheese and chips and baked until golden brown.
You only need a few simple ingredients to make our cheesy tuna noodle casserole recipe:
- wide egg noodles
- store-bought cream soup or cream soup substitute
- tuna in water (I like to use solid white albacore tuna)
- shredded cheese
- potato chips (optional)
- frozen peas
- salt and pepper
This is meant to be a brief overview of this great recipe. For step-by-step instructions and a full printable recipe card with ingredients, please scroll down to the teal box below or Jump to Recipe.
Old Fashioned Tuna Noodle Casserole is the ultimate comfort food just like Grandma used to make!
- Cook the egg noodles until just al dente, don't overcook.
- Mix together the milk and cream soup.
- Add the noodles, tuna, and peas to the sauce mixture.
- Pour mixture into a greased casserole dish.
- Top with chips and cheese.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes at 350°F.
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Here is what you will need to make this easy recipe:
Be sure to check out my Juggling Act Mama Storefront on Amazon where you'll find all kinds of great products to make your life easier! Thanks so much for being a part of Juggling Act Mama ❤
To Store: Leftover Old Fashioned Tuna Noodle Casserole should be stored in an airtight container in the refridgerator for 3-4 days. (These are my favorite airtight containers.)
To Reheat: Microwave individual portions in 30 second intervals until heated throughout.
To Freeze: Make the casserole but do not add the potato chips or cheese on top. Wrap it in plastic wrap or aluminum foil, then slide it into a 2-gallon freezer bag. Be sure to label with contents and cooking instructions.
To Thaw: Place in the fridge overnight to thaw, top with chips and cheese, and bake as directed.
✏️ Make Ahead
This cheesy casserole can be made a day ahead of time, however, I recommend that you leave the chips off until just before baking so they do not become soggy.
The first time you try any new recipe we recommend that you make it just as it is written on the recipe card since that is how the recipe has been tested. However, the next time you make our recipe, you might want to try one of these ideas:
- While I prefer making my own homemade cream soup when I have the time, you can use pretty much any type of cream soup you like. Cream of mushroom soup, cream of celery soup, and cream of chicken soup all work well in this recipe.
- Instead of potato chips, try crumbled Ritz crackers, panko bread crumbs and a little bit of melted butter, or even French fried onions on top of the casserole.
- This recipe can easily be made with pulled pork or shredded chicken instead of tuna.
- I love to use fresh peas from my garden when I can, but using frozen veggies works great. You can also add other frozen vegetables like carrots, green beans, corn, and broccoli.
- Instead of cheddar cheese, you could also use Colby jack, Monterey jack, or parmesan cheese.
- Stir 2 tablespoons of sour cream into the cream soup and milk mixture for an extra creamy sauce.
- Typically this classic comfort food dish is made with medium egg noodles, but you can absolutely use penne pasta, elbow macaroni, or any other kind of pasta in a pinch.
- If you have the time, saute some finely diced onions in butter to add to the creamy casserole mixture. It adds great flavor!
🍴 Serving Suggestions
Since this is a great all-in-one meal, you don't have to serve anything else with it. A light green salad makes a great side dish. I also really love serving this casserole with buttery dinner rolls or butter swim biscuits.
😋 Similar Recipes
Next time, try one of these delicious recipes:
- chicken bubble up casserole
- cheesy hamburger casserole
- pulled pork mac and cheese
- easy chili pot pie
Related: If you love pure comfort food, you have to try our creamy chicken pasta bake!
Not ready to make this Old Fashioned Tuna Casserole yet?
When you do make it, please come back and comment and leave me a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating below!
Old Fashioned Tuna Casserole
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 4 ounces wide egg noodles a little more than 2 cups
- 1 10.5-ounce can condensed cream soup or homemade cream soup
- ½ cup milk
- 2 5-ounce cans tuna in water (such as solid white albacore tuna) drained
- ½ cup frozen peas
- ½ cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 cup coarsely crushed potato chips optional
- kosher salt and black peper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Grease a large casserole dish and set aside.
- Cook the noodles in a large pot of salted water according to the directions on the package until just al dente. Drain and set aside.4 ounces wide egg noodles
- Whisk together cream soup and milk in a large bowl.1 10.5-ounce can condensed cream soup or homemade cream soup, ½ cup milk
- Add the noodles, peas, and drained tuna to the cream soup mixture.2 5-ounce cans tuna in water (such as solid white albacore tuna), ½ cup frozen peas
- Season with salt and pepper.kosher salt and black peper
- Transfer the tuna mixture into the prepared baking dish.
- Add the cheese and chips on top.½ cup cheddar cheese, 1 cup coarsely crushed potato chips
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until the casserole is bubbly and the top is golden brown.
For best results, be sure to check our Tips and FAQs above with important tips and questions that can help your delicious recipe come out perfectly.
Sign up for our emails and never miss another recipe!!We'll never share your email or send you spam.
More Recipes You'll Love
Check out Meal Plan 3 that includes this delicious recipe along with Sweet Potato Soup, Pork Carnitas, and Chicken Bacon Ranch Tater Tot Casserole!
Leave a Reply