It only takes a few minutes to make this magical Unicorn Popcorn recipe!
Our Unicorn Popcorn is perfect for birthday parties for kids – and adults! It’s simple to make and fun to do with the kids, too. If you’re planning trendy unicorn party, you need to make this unicorn snack!
We make loads of air-popped popcorn in our house. It’s so simple to add yummy flavors or fun mix-ins. This Magical Unicorn Popcorn is perfect for a unicorn birthday party. Our daughter Olivia just turned 7 and had a unicorn themed party. She had so much fun and wanted to be a unicorn. There are so many amazing products on the market now to help create an awesome unicorn party. We found many of the supplies online, or at your local Walmart. I loved decorating for this party! It was one of my favorites. Stay tuned for photos and tips!
It may seem like the unicorn trend should be over by now, but based on the squeals of delight from my new seven year old daughter as we set up her unicorn party, I doubt it! I totally get it, too. A unicorn is magical and special. It’s something totally unique, of course. And then there are all the beautiful colors and sparkle. It’s unapologetically girly. If I’m being totally honest, I probably had as much fun planning her unicorn party as she did experiencing it!
I’ll be sharing a look at her unicorn party soon, but in the meantime, you’re going to love this whimsical snack! It’s was so popular that it made our top recipes of 2018 list!
Shopping List for Unicorn Popcorn:
This post contains affiliate links; we are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. I only promote things that I love and think you will love, too! For more information, please see our Disclosure Policy. I am including some links below to products I used to make our unicorn popcorn recipe.
- Wilton Candy Melts, Bright Pink and Wilton Turquoise Candy Melts Candy – I like these better than generic brands because I know that they work well.
- Wilton Rainbow Nonpareils – these add a little sparkle and whimsy. You could also use Wilton Edible Gold Stars if you wanted to really make it special!
- Parchment Paper – I prefer to line my baking sheet to help with clean up, but this is optional.
- Hot Air Popper – This is the newer model of the one I have. It’s inexpensive but works great!
- Finding the Wilton Unicorn Icing decorations can be tricky, but I found them at Walmart.
If you really want to make this unicorn popcorn extra special, you can buy a box of Lucky Charms cereal and pick out all the rainbow marshmallows and add that to the mixture as well! Or you can just purchase Rainbow Marshmallow Bits and add those. This adds a little more fun and whimsey to your unicorn party snack.
Step by Step Directions for Making Unicorn Popcorn:
- Pop 4 cups of popcorn: 2 tablespoons or 1/8 cup of un-popped kernels equals about (4 cups) popped corn (if all kernels pop).
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spread the popcorn in a single layer on top.
- Melt the chocolate wafers one color at a time according to the directions on the package, then drizzle on top of the popcorn.
- Add the sprinkles while the chocolate is still warm so they stick.
- Repeat with the second colored chocolate wafers.
- Let the mixture set (slide it into the refrigerator for 15-20 minutes for the chocolate to harden).
- Add the sixlets and the unicorn icing decorations at the end.
Magical Unicorn Popcorn
- 4 cups microwave popcorn
- 12 oz Wilton Candy Melts Bright Pink
- 12 oz Wilton Turquoise Candy Melts Candy
- Wilton Rainbow Nonpareils
- Bright multi-colored Sixlet candies
- Parchment Paper
- Wilton Unicorn Icing decorations
Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and spread the popcorn out onto the baking sheet.
Pour the bright pink candy melts into a microwaveable safe dish. Heat in 30 second increments, stirring until melted. Let cool a few minutes and using a large spoon to drizzle over the popcorn.
Sprinkle multi-colored non-pareils and Sixlets over the popcorn and melted chocolate.
Repeat step #2 with the teal candy candy melts. Sprinkle with more non-pareils.
Add the Unicorn Icing decorations and bright colored Sixlets.
Let the popcorn sit and allow the melted chocolate to harden. Once the popcorn has set, store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Tips for Using Candy Melts
- Carefully read the instructions on the back of the package before you begin.
- I love this 3-Piece Glass Mixing Bowl Set – the smallest (1 quart) bowl is perfect for melting chocolate.
- Use a spoonula like the one in this Silicone Spatula Set to mix the chocolate.
- Handle the bowl and the chocolate with care. These are very hot when melted.
- Always supervise children around hot melted chocolate.
It’s really that simple to make this magical unicorn popcorn! And, this is method is a fun way to add a whimsical touch to any birthday party. If you can use the same technique to make all kinds of fun popcorn snacks for parties. Simple switch out the color of the candy melts and the types of add-ins to match the theme or event. For instance, for a Batman party, you could use black and yellow candy melts with blue, yellow and black sprinkles and sixlets.
Did you make a recipe like this magical unicorn popcorn? Tag @jugglingactmama on Instagram so I can see it!
Our Unicorn Party
As I mentioned before, Olivia just turned 7 and had a unicorn themed party. It was a such a fun party to plan! Here’s a look at some of our decorations and food, as well as a list of products we used.
Where to Get our Unicorn Birthday Party Decor and More:
- Tissue Hanging Paper Pom-poms
- Magical Unicorn Rainbow Happy Birthday Banner Pennant
- Bright Rainbow Unicorn Happy Birthday Balloon Bouquet
Find the Party Supply Bundle:
- Unicorn Birthday Party Ultimate Bundle: Happy Birthday Banner, Photo Props, Treat Bags, Plates & Napkins
Or Buy Unicorn Sparkle Supplies Individually:
- Plastic Tablecover
- Paper Treat Bags (10 ct)
- Paper Dinner Plates (8 ct)
- Beverage Napkins (16 ct)
- 18″ Foil Balloon
- Gold Happy Birthday Childrens Party Latex Printed White Balloons (20)
- Paper Cups (8 ct)
Find More Festive Popcorn Recipes:
We love making fun flavored popcorn snacks for parties, game day and movie night. Check out these other great recipes:
Unicorn Party Ideas
Here are some other ideas for creating a magical unicorn party: