Cinnamon Red Hot Popcorn is delicious and easy to make! It's a fun treat for kids, and the kid in all of us!
In our house, we eat a lot of popcorn. We use an air popper and the kids just love to watch the kernels explode and bounce out of the machine into the bowl. I've been experimenting with some different flavors for popcorn, and have one that you have just got to try!
Red Hot Candies have long been a favorite of mine and they're the secret ingredient to making this cinnamon popcorn that is festively colored for Valentine's Day. This popcorn makes a wonderful gift for your child's class, or Valentine's day party, too!
Just a word of caution, I wouldn't recommend having young children help until you get to the part where you're bagging the cooled popcorn as the red hots are extremely hot and sticky when melted and will burn your skin badly if not handled with extreme care.
Here's how to make the Cinnamon Red Hot Popcorn:
- 12 cups plain popped popcorn
- ½ cup water
- 1 cup red hot candies
- Preheat the oven to 250-degrees. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a small saucepan, combine the water and candies. Bring to a boil, stirring often until the candy melts.
- Pour the popcorn into a large (clean) paper shopping bag. Pour half the mixture over the popcorn and shake, then pour the remaining liquid and shake vigorously.
- Pour the popcorn out onto the parchment paper lined baking sheets (some will stick to the inside of the paper bag – I just toss that part). Be very careful with this step as the melted candy if very hot, as I mentioned.
- Bake the popcorn for 10 minutes, then stir.
- Bake for another 10-15 minutes until it’s almost dry.
If you like, you can toss the popcorn with additional candies. Since they sink to the bottom of the bag, and the popcorn is so tasty, I decided against it.
Package the popcorn into festive containers or bags.