Make this Easy Eggplant Parmesan with tomato sauce and your family will think you spent all day crafting dinner for them!
I can remember my grandmother canning tomato sauce when I was a young girl. She spent hours processing tomatoes in the hot kitchen in August so that her tomato sauce could be enjoyed all year long.
These days, my husband often makes small-batch tomato sauce, having the kids climb onto a kitchen table to help stir the pot. His family came from Naples, Italy several generations ago.
Week night dinners don't have to be boring or mundane. Start by planning out your meals using my Menu Planner and Grocery List Printable Set. It will help save you time and money!
This Eggplant Parmesan is a delicious combination of flavors. Since eggplant often absorbs the flavors of what it is served with, it's a great way to sneak some veggies into your meal.
- sweet onion
- fresh garlic
- ricotta cheese
- shredded mozzarella cheese
- fresh basil
- pasta sauce
- panko bread crumbs
- fresh Parmesan cheese
from the pantry: olive oil, salt and pepper
🍴 Serving Suggestions
For Sunday supper, I love serving my husband's Authentic Italian Meatballs on the side. However, for busy weeknights, I usually keep things simple with a green salad or maybe some Easy Italian Bread Sticks.
😋 Similar Recipes
Next time, try one of these delicious recipes:
- Lazy Slow Cooker Lasagna
- Italian Sausage Pasta with Blistered Tomatoes
- Pasta with Sausage and Broccolini
- American Chop Suey
- Steakhouse Pasta
Related: Making Tomato Sauce from Scratch
More Italian Favorites:
- Tomato Sauce from Scratch
- Homemade Italian Meatballs
- Basil Tomato Sauce and Mini Meatballs
- Quick Lasagna Soup
- Pasta Charcuterie Board
Quick and Easy Eggplant ParmesanAdd to Your Recipe BoxGo to Collections Print Pin Rate
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 1 lb. ziti pasta
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion minced
- 2 large cloves of garlic minced
- 1 small eggplant peeled and cubed
- 1 cup Ricotta cheese
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- 3 basil leaves chopped fine
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- ½ c. freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta according to directions on the box.1 lb. ziti pasta
- In a large skillet, cook the onion in 3 tablespoons olive oil until translucent. Add the garlic and eggplant. Sautee until the eggplant is tender.3 tablespoons olive oil, 1 large onion, 1 small eggplant, 2 large cloves of garlic
- In a bowl, combine the ricotta, basil and mozzarella cheese. Mix well.1 cup Ricotta cheese, 3 basil leaves, 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- Combine the pasta and eggplant and toss to coat in the tomato sauce.2 cups tomato sauce
- In a large casserole dish, spread some of the pasta sauce on the bottom to keep the pasta from sticking or burning. Add ½ of the ricotta mixture, top with pasta and repeat once more, ending with pasta.
- In a small skillet, melt the butter and heat the olive oil. Add the panko bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese and toast until golden brown, stirring often. Spread the mixture over the top of the casserole.2 tablespoons butter, 1 cup panko bread crumbs, ½ c. freshly grated Parmesan cheese, 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Bake at 350-degrees until for 15-20 minutes.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
For best results, be sure to check our Tips and FAQs above with important tips and questions that can help your delicious recipe come out perfectly.