Best Christmas Cookie Recipes - I'm always looking for delicious new cookie recipes to try so I'm sharing this collection with tons of delicious cookies perfect for the holiday season!
UPDATED FOR 2023 - I love the holiday season and especially the delicious treats I can make and share with friends and family. I started this collection back in 2014 and it's grown over the years - there are SO many yummy Christmas cookies!
I have a list of my favorite Christmas cookie recipes that I make every year. Many of them are family recipes, but all of them are family favorites!
You might want to check out our tips on How to Host a Cookie Exchange Party, which includes a free printable invitation you can download.
Chocolate Chip Snowball Cookies are a twist on the classic Russian Tea Cake. Your kids will love them.
Ornament Sugar Cookies are simple to make and make beautiful decor for your tree, or add them to a holiday gift basket.
These are super impressive - and easier than you think!
This list includes classic Christmas cookie recipes like snowballs, snickerdoodles, and gingerbread cookies.
Christmas Snickerdoodles - These simple yet scrumptious cookies are a classic around this time of year - perfect for gifting or keeping an ample supply in that cookie jar. You can add icing or sprinkles, or just serve them with cinnamon sugar on top.
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies from Juggling Act Mama: These cookies are super tasty and great to make with the kids. The oatmeal gives these sweet treats extra body, texture, and fiber…so they’re actually kinda good for you, am I right?!
- Easy Peanut Butter Cookies (Just 4 Ingredients!) - These cookies are easy to make, require only a few simple ingredients, and are so good.
- Italian Anise Cookies from A Grande Life: Get ready for your kids to have sticky fingers because they won’t be able to stop munching on these cookies! The bite size cakey morsels will be a hit with everyone, whether you’re Italian or not! Yum yum.
- Mamma's Old Fashion Sour Cream Sugar Cookies from This Mama Loves: Classic cookie recipes never get old! These soft, chewy cookies go down well with a glass of cold milk or mug of hot chocolate. Give your sugar cookies any shape and royal icing topping or keep them simple - it’s really up to you!
- Peanut Butter Criss Cross Cookies from Hi It's Jilly: Ah yes, these old school peanut butter criss-cross cookies really transport me back to my childhood! They’re great as an everyday kind of cookie that everyone’s grown to cherish, so why not add them to your list of Christmas cookies this year?!
- Gingerbread Cookies from Gimme Some Oven: The ULTIMATE Christmas cookie! Christmas wouldn’t be the same without a well-made Gingerbread cookie, shaped into gingerbread men or other fun Christmas shapes.
- Brown Butter Soft Batch Style Gingersnaps from Picky Palate: Crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside. There’s no better way to enjoy a cookie! Grab your cup of tea, a blanket and your favorite book because you’ll be inside today, enjoying these amazing Gingersnaps!
- Gingerbread House Decorating Party from Glorious Treats: Get ready for your kids to sing your praise! You can’t go wrong with decorating a gingerbread house! It’s fun and gets those creative juices flowing. Allow your kids to be inspired this Christmas with a Gingerbread House decorating party!
From simple chocolate chips to rich dark chocolate, these are some of our favorite holiday cookies.
Double Chocolate Toffee Cookies - Toffee bits in a chocolate cookie? Yes please! Get your baking tools out because no one deserves a life without double chocolate toffee cookies! The crunchy and chewy English toffee will add a whole new dimension to an already amazing Christmas chocolate cookie.
- Death by Chocolate Cookies from Simply Stacie: If you’re all about rich chocolate flavor, then get ready to be seriously wowed by these death by chocolate cookie treats. Rich and decadent with a soft center and chewy outer edges...gosh, I think I’m salivating just describing these cookies.
- Chocolate Pinwheel Cookies from Bunsen Burner Bakery: Ready for your cookies to stand out during that family gathering? Well, these cookies will hypnotize any renowned cookie cuisine eater. That’s right, these are playful, unique, and tasty. Like any Christmas cookie should be!
- Brownie Cookies from Crazy for Crust: That Brownie mix in your pantry got you thinking, didn’t it? Set it aside for whipping up these cookies with little fuss and maximum reward. These cookies are easy, fun, and a great twist to classic brownies for Christmas.
- Mexican Hot Chocolate Shortbread from White Lights on Wednesday: Excuse me, did you say Mexican Hot Chocolate Shortbread? YES! Get some sexy spicy hot chocolate shortbread cookies in your life and on your Christmas cookie platter with this unique and fun recipe.
Mint and Peppermint
Cookie platters just are not complete without at least one peppermint cookie!
Chocolate Peppermint Cookies - How can a cookie get even more delicious you ask? While we all know how great chocolate and peanut butter are together, have you tried adding some peppermint into the mix too? If not, get to it using my very one cookie recipe - you are not going to be disappointed!
- Peppermint Shortbread Cookies from Rachel Cooks: Crushed Candy canes and buttery goodness is a combo to be enjoyed every Christmas. They’re so good that Santa may even swipe a few when he drops by!
- Peppermint Chocolate Sandwich Cookies from Snappy Gourmet: Christmas just isn’t complete without a good sandwich cookie. Luckily, I have you covered with this minty and chocolatey Christmas cookie sandwich! Crunch cookies meet a creamy cookie sandwich filling that’s almost too good to be true!
- Oreo Peppermint Crunch Cookies from Inside Bru Crew Life: Everyone loves Oreos so when I came across these Oreo peppermint crunch cookies, it was a no-brainer to share them with you for your Christmas baking efforts. Buttery and dense cookies filled with chopped Oreos and candy canes...just irresistible!
- Andes Triple Chocolate Mint Pudding Cookies from Mom On Timeout: A pudding cookie is probably one of the best baking concepts in the 21st century. This recipe is mouth watering! Place an Andes mint INSIDE this soft rich chocolate cookie dough for an exceptional triple chocolate mint pudding cookie - genius!
Crinkle cookies or crackle cookies are easy Christmas cookies because they don't need anything more than a sprinkle of powdered sugar on top!
Funfetti Crinkle Cookies - Crinkles and creases are the best places to hide sweet surprises! Like these Funfetti Crinkle Cookies, you’ll find sprinkles and a whole lot of tasty cookie goodness. Cover the cookies in powdered sugar and you have yourself the best funfetti Cookie!
- Molasses Crinkles from The Kitchen is My Playground: God rest ye merry gentlemen let nothing you dismay, remember ginger cookies are the best things you can make! With sugar and spice and everything nice this Christmas will be one to remember when serving these rich ginger and molasses crinkles!
- Double Chocolate Crinkle Cookies from Sally's Baking Addiction: You can’t go wrong with a batch of fudgy brownie-like crinkle cookies. Now that you have the recipe, there’s no excuse not to reward your family and guests with these incredible double chocolate crinkle cookies!
- Red Velvet White Chocolate Crinkle Cookies from Mom on Timeout: Get the ruby red color for your Christmas crinkle cookies from a red velvet cake mix instead of food coloring! That’s right, these red velvet white chocolate crinkle cookies are an absolute breeze with the convenience of a cake mix! Fill your cookie dough with rich and creamy white chocolate chips and let the compliments roll in.
- Lemon Crinkle Cookies from Two Sisters: Aren’t these colorful cookies just so darn cheerful?! I mean, that’s what the holidays are all about! These cookies are light fluffy and full of that lovely lemon zest flavor. They are great to display on the sweet treats table this Christmas or take them to a Christmas cookie exchange party and wow the attendees.
Candy and More
Any one of these would be a great addition to your holiday cookie trays.
Toffee Chocolate Chip Cookies from Juggling Act Mama: If you're bored of the average chocolate chip cookie, try the simple trick of adding in some creamy toffee. This recipe gives you amazingly soft and chewy cookies that have an excitingly delicious surprise inside.
Chocolate M and M Cookies - Need something easy and fun to do? This chocolate cookie is so simple you don’t even need a mixer. All you need is chocolate, M&M’s and some holiday cheer!
- Reese's Pieces Chocolate Chip Cookies from Juggling Act Mama: How do you make peanut butter cookies even better this Christmas? You add Reese’s Pieces! They are chewy, nummy, and just the thing for a coffee break or holiday sweet snack.
- Kit Kat Cookies from Crazy for Crust: Have a break, have a Kit Kat Cookie. That’s right, get ready for your family’s new sweet treat request. Adding that extra crunch to your cookies with the much-loved Kit-Kat candy is a must-try this Christmas!
- Candy Bar Crusher Cookies from The Picky Palate: Have extra candy left over from your Christmas parties? Why not make Chocolate chip Cookies with a bit of a crunchy twist? It's easy to make and delicious to munch on with a steaming cup of tea, hot chocolate, or eggnog.
- Brown Sugar M and M Cookies from Juggling Act Mama: If you want an EXTRA chewy cookie, brown sugar is your best friend! These cookies are possibly one of the chewist that I’ve ever made. Plus, they’re loaded with M&Ms!! Give it a go - you won’t regret it!
- Insanely Delicious Turtle Cookies from The Kitchen is My Playground: These beautiful cookies are mandatory to make for Christmas. If you love crunchy pecans and melted caramel toffee, then head on over and start baking a batch ASAP! Everyone should be making these turtle-looking cookies for Christmas!
- Reese's S'mores Chocolate Cookies from Something Swanky: Craving s'mores?! I don’t blame you. Bring the deliciousness indoors by baking a batch of these Reese’s S’mores Chocolate Cookies! They are finger-licking good.
Homemade Twix Cookie Recipe from Juggling Act Mama: If you love Twix, you'll adore these cookies. They are basically the cookie version of a Twix candy bar - what on earth could be better than that?!
Fruit Filled and Flavored
At least one or two of these delicious recipes are a must-have during the Christmas cookie season!
Best Thumbprint Cookie Recipe - These cookies are simple and versatile and surprisingly easy to make, considering how fancy they look! Add your favorite jam in the center of your cookies with some vanilla glaze or melted white chocolate drizzle, and you have a winner of a cookie on your hands.
- Thumbprint Cookies with Icing from I Save A 2 Z: Bursting with bright cherry filing, these fruity thumbprint cookies taste amazing and look beautiful too! With the colors of Christmas, these cookies will accentuate any holiday decor for those special celebrations.
- Cranberry Orange Shortbread Cookies from The Cagle Diaries: Orange and cranberry are some of the most popular and loved Christmas and Thanksgiving flavors! This recipe certainly does this flavor combo justice! The cookies turned out perfectly balanced flavor-wise and silky soft. Just how shortbread is supposed to be.
- Chewy Blueberry Oatmeal Cookies from Hostess With The Mostess: Craving a blueberry muffin? Trick your taste buds with this amazing oatmeal cookie recipe that is bound to have you making a second batch that very same day!
- Cranberry Orange Spice Cookies from White Lights on Wednesday: If you want to stand out this Christmas, these unique cookies will do the trick. They are jam-packed with flavor (pum most certainly intended)! It will feel like there is a Christmas party in your mouth!
- White Chocolate Chunk Cranberry Cookies from Simply Stacie: If you’re a fan of white chocolate and cranberries, then this easy and simplistic cookie recipe is just for you! It’s perfect for Christmas dinner parties, cookie exchanges and holiday potlucks.
- Cranberry Orange Pinwheels from Baked by Rachel: Pinwheel cookies are always an eye catching option for your holiday table spread. These ones will definitely knock your Christmas socks off! This recipe highlights the chemistry between orange, pecan and cranberry - it's just to die for!
Italian Fig Cookies (Cucidati) - white a light icing, and chewy fruit filling, these are some of the best Christmas cookies! These traditional Italian cookies are a must in your recipe box!
Poppy Seed Lemon Linzer Cookies from Juggling Act Mama: A tongue twister and a taste game changer, for sure! These are delicate and flavorful sandwich cookies that are great for every occasion. Once you pop one into your mouth, you’ll be unable to control the desire for more!
Fun for Kids
This list includes some of my favorite cookies to make with kids, and they're really fun for a Christmas Cookie Exchange!
- Snowman Cookies from Heavenly Savings and Homemaking: Nothing beats a smiling snowman! But a smiley snowman cookie? This recipe is super fun for kids to make - it’s got Oreos, sticky icing, as well candy and chocolate chips to create your very one smiling snowman!
- Monster Cookies from Top Notch Mom: It’s the classic cartoon cookie brought to life! It's super simple and fun for the whole family! It’s a classic cookie mix that has all the flavors and colors that you would ever need.
- Hot Cocoa Cookies from Glorious Treats: Now these are something new! It’s a brownie-like-cookie topped with a marshmallow and a fudgy glaze! If you can't get enough Hot Cocoa, these cookies will definitely do the trick!
- Cake Batter Chocolate Chip Cookies from Sally's Baking Addiction: A birthday cake flavored cookie? Yes, please sign me up! Its classic cake batter taste with chocolate chips and sprinkles will have your tastebuds dancing like never before!
- Santa Face Cookies from In Katrina's Kitchen: Pretty and tasty – that’s how to sum up this cookie. This recipe uses the cookie as a canvas and plasters on a cute Santa face with colored icing. A classic flavorful cookie with a traditional character to top it off.
- Chocolate Covered Oreo Presents from Pint Sized Baker: Ever heard of a cookie present? Well, get ready because it's finally here! Crushed candy and an Oreo gift wrapped in delicate and delicious chocolate is the kind of present no one will ever say no to. It’s a super creative way to use Oreos this Christmas.
More Holiday Ideas
If you're looking for more Christmas desserts, we have you covered! Next time, try one of these delicious holiday favorites:
- Milk Chocolate Christmas Bark - From the Christmas tree to the plate, this chocolate bark doesn’t, in fact, have anything to do with a tree! Chocolate bark treats are always a huge hit with adults and kids alike. This festive-themed milk chocolate Christmas Bark is no exception!
- Tri-Color Christmas Cake Pops - Everyone loves a sweet treat that’s handheld and simple to make and assemble. While these cake pops are for the baking decorator enthusiast, they certainly can also be made by beginners too!
- Hot Chocolate Bombs - Enjoy your hot chocolate in style with these trendy hot chocolate bombs. Drop a bomb into a tall mug of steaming milk and watch to see the chocolate shell dissolve and the hot chocolate mix with mini marshmallows infuse into a delectable holiday drink.
- Oreo Truffle Balls - These bite-sized balls of crushed Oreo flavor and texture are great for any occasion. If you’ve never tried a truffle ball before then this festive season might be a great time to make a few of these Oreo-inspired truffles with hints of slightly tangy cream cheese.
- Gingerbread Cookie Dough Bark - Cookie dough and gingerbread bark is a great addition to your dessert table or a great gift to give this Christmas. It’s got that sweet cookie dough flavor and that extra spice from the ginger.
You might also like these fun DIY ornament crafts: