These Chewy M&M Brownie Cookies are chocolatey brownie cookies filled with chocolate chips and M&Ms. These simple cookies mix up quickly & you don’t even need a mixer!
It’s Monday, let’s have cookies! If we’re being real, I use just about any excuse to have cookies. I could easily have swapped out “Monday” with “June 22nd” or “day after Father’s Day”. Anything, really. I’m all for cookies any day of the week.
I’m also a big fan of cookie recipes that don’t require the use of a mixer. For years I couldn’t wait to get a KitchenAid stand mixer and now that I have one, I get excited for recipes that don’t need it. Go figure.
This cookie is rich and full of chocolate and also chewy like a brownie. The bright M&Ms are a fun splash of color. They’re included in the batter as well as pressed into the dough after you scoop it so they really show up. An optional step, but it makes them look pretty and the more M&Ms the better, right?
If you’re not ready to make all 40 cookies right now, they freeze really well. Scoop the dough out onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, just like you would if you were about to bake them, but cover them with plastic wrap and freeze overnight. In the morning, throw the frozen dough balls into a ziplock bag. The next time you get a craving for a cookie, just bake them as you normally would, straight from the freezer. I do this and sometimes just make two cookies after dinner for dessert. Cookies on demand and portion control.
So grab a bowl, a whisk, and a glass of milk and give these cookies a shot!
Chewy M&M Brownie Cookies
- 1 cup butter melted
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup dark cocoa powder can use all regular cocoa powder, if you prefer
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup M&Ms + more for pressing into tops of cookies optional
- In a large bowl, add the melted butter, sugar, brown sugar, and cocoa powders. Mix well with a whisk until fully combined.
- Add eggs, one at a time, whisking between each addition.
- Add in the salt, vanilla, baking powder, and baking soda. Whisk until combined.
- Add in the flour and stir gently with a spatula until fully combined.
- Add in the chocolate chips and 1/2 cup of M&Ms. Stir to combine.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes (I left mine overnight).
- Once ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees, line cookie sheets with parchment paper, then use a cookie scoop to drop 12 balls of dough per sheet.
- Press more M&Ms into the tops of the cookie balls.
- Bake for 9-12 minutes, remove from oven, let cool for a couple minutes on the baking sheet then transfer to a wire rack to fully cool.
I always use Ghirardelli baking chips, which are large, so I use 1/2 cup. If you like more chocolate chips, feel free to use more.
These freeze well - I scooped 12 balls onto a cookie sheet, covered, then froze overnight. Once frozen, transfer to a freezer bag. Bake as usual when ready. Adapted from Slightly adapted from Back for Seconds
Other cookies you might like…