This post is intended for readers ages 21+. This Tropical Storm Punch is a delicious rum cocktail made with passion fruit rum, blue curacao, pineapple juice, simple syrup, and my secret ingredient! Once the storm has passed, give my Mermaid Drink a try too.
When it comes to having an 'adult beverage,' I pick a cocktail over wine most of the time. As I mentioned, I'm a big fan of rum cocktails, and particularly love the taste of blue curacao. That is why I adore this Tropical Storm Punch recipe. This drink is so sweet and delicious, you will forget there's alcohol, so be careful! Please drink responsibly.
When Mr. Juggling Act and I went to Hawaii for my sister's wedding, I had the best tropical drinks I had ever tasted. They were so perfect! I suppose the fact that rum is made right there on the island might have had something to do with it.
We went to a rum tasting at Koloa Rum Company. We learned all about the process of making rum it is hard to imagine that the ingredients are just water, sugar, molasses and yeast. We sampled different kinds of rum and picked up a few souvenirs, too.
Staying on the island of Kauai was so amazing. The land and the ocean is like something from a fairy tale. If you have never been to Hawaii, you have to experience it first hand because seeing it on TV and in pictures just doesn't do it justice. It's breathtakingly gorgeous! My only wish is that we had been able to stay longer.
Luckily, if I close my eyes and sip this drink, it's good enough to send me back to Hawaii. Oh I do love a good daydream! Warm tropical breezes, and the sound of the ocean waves hitting the sand are just within reach, in my minds eye.
Ok, so back to how to make this Tropical Storm Punch Cocktail... it is super easy. If there's one ingredient that really takes it over the top, it's the Pina Colada Cocktail Rimming Sugar that I use. It's got that tropical taste that makes this rum cocktail extra special.
This is the secret ingredient I promised! You can pick up the passion fruit rum and blue curacao at your local liquor store. Passion fruit itself is very fruity and tart, so it's a really adds a lot to this concoction. While I wouldn't drink Passion Fruit Rum by itself (very sweet!) it's perfect in this mixed drink. If you don't have the Passion fruit rum on hand, you can use other tropical flavored rums such as pineapple or coconut.
Otherwise just substitute white rum instead. Because of the layering, these are such a beautiful cocktails. They would be perfect for a luau-themed cookout this summer!
Here's what you'll need to make the Rum Cocktails:
- Blue Curacao
- Passion Fruit Rum (or white rum)
- Pineapple Juice
- Pina Colada Cocktail Rimming Sugar
- Simple Syrup
- Limes for garnish, optional
Items You May Also Need:
- Fun Cocktail Glasses
- Cocktail Shaker
I use this Hamilton Beach Blender model in my home. This blender also works great for blended drinks, and even has a setting to crush ice. Possibly my favorite feature though is that it is dishwasher safe. (I hate to do dishes!) For a list of some of my favorite items to use when cooking, and why I chose them, please visit my Kitchen Resource page.
How to Make Simple Syrup
If you have never made simple syrup before, don't worry, it's really quite simple.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, add equal parts sugar and water.
- Heat the ingredients until the sugar dissolves.
- When the mixture looks clear and starts to simmer, remove from the heat.
- Chill before using in a mixed drink.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks.
You can also flavor your simple syrups. The zest from an orange would be a nice addition to this cocktail. Simple add the zest right after the syrup comes off the stove and let it steep. Once the syrup has cooled, strain the zest out. Store flavored syrups in the refrigerator for 1-2 weeks. Mason jars work well for storing simple syrups.
More Cocktail Recipes
- Bahama Mama Cocktail Recipe
- Fruity Summertime Pineapple Cocktail
- Mermaid Drink - Blue-Green Lemon Drop
- Raspberry Mojito
- Watermelon Mojito Recipe
Rum Cocktails: Tropical Storm Punch
If you love this recipe, please give it a 5 star rating !
Tropical Storm Punch Cocktails
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 4 oz Blue Curacao
- 2 oz Passion Fruit Rum
- 8 oz Pineapple Juice
- Pina Colada Cocktail Rimming Sugar
- Simple Syrup
- Using two small plates pour the sugar on one and simple syrup on the other
- Take two 8-ounce glasses and dip the rims in the simple syrup and then into the rimming sugar.
- Fill your glasses with ice about ¾ of the way full.
- Add the passion fruit rum and pineapple juice together in a cocktail shaker. Shake well to combine
- Pour the pineapple mix into the glasses, and top off each with a shot of Blue Curacao. Serve immediately.
- If you prefer, you can substitute the simple sugar.
- Use limes to wet the rim of the glasses instead.
- Add a splash of Midori which will add to the sweet and tart nature of this drink!
For best results, be sure to check our Tips and FAQs above with important tips and questions that can help your delicious recipe come out perfectly.