As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Farmhouse Mason Jars – In this chalk paint mason jars tutorial, we’ll show you the easy way to create your own DIY farmhouse decor and How to Paint Mason Jars with Chalk Paint!
This post also contains affiliate links and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links.
Farmhouse decor is still all the rage. If one trip to Target doesn’t convince you of that, I’m not sure what will! Luckily, you can find affordable farmhouse decor items everywhere these days, but did you know you can also make it yourself?
In today’s craft tutorial, I’m going to teach you to make beautiful Chalk Paint Mason Jars that will look gorgeous in your home. You will be shocked at how easy it is to put together.
Also, have you seen my Decorative Wooden Houses tutorial? I guess I’m a little bit on a DIY kick with a nod to farmhouse chic lately!
More DIY Projects with Mason Jars
Before we get to today’s tutorial, I want to share with you a few other fun projects you can do with mason jars:
Materials for Chalk Paint Mason Jars
- Mason Jars (my Dollar Tree had them but any jars that you have on hand will also work great!)
- white chalk paint such as Waverly
- Dollar Tree chalkboard heart tags
How to Paint Mason Jars with Chalk Paint
- Apply 2 coats of white chalk paint – be sure to allow enough time to dry in between to get the best coverage.
- Next, leave about 6 inches free and then wrap the twine about 5 times around the top of the jar leaving 6 inches or so at the end to create the bow.
- String the heart chalkboard tag on and tie a bow.
While these are just styled with some faux eucalyptus, they would be beautiful to hold fresh flowers, of course. The tall jars are perfect in the kitchen to hold utensils, while shorter jars are ideal to hold pens and pencils.
The best part is that since they’re so neutral, you can easily style them to go with any holiday or party theme and endless year-round possibilities.
- Use as a planter like these pretty DIY gifts.
- Fill the jars with fresh pink roses for Valentine’s Day or cheery sunflower in the summer.
- Place them on a tray surrounded by ornaments at Christmas.
However you decide to use these pretty jars, I know you will love them!
How do you seal chalk paint on mason jars?
I didn’t choose to seal the chalk paint on my mason jars since I won’t be handling them much, but if you plan to use them in a location where they might get knocked around or wet, I do recommend sealing the paint with an acrylic sealer or ModPodge (I like the matte version for a more rustic look).