As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
These DIY all natural insect repellent jars are perfect for backyard parties and get togethers. Your guests will love these as centerpieces that are both beautiful and functional.
There are a few things that I look for when I’m shopping for items for my home. I love things that are natural, and pretty, but useful. When I find something that is all three of those things – natural, useful and pretty it’s the ultimate trifecta! And these DIY Natural Insect Repellent Jars – or “bug away” jars are exactly that!
Useful? Are they useful? Does warding off pesky bugs count as being useful? Yes!
I especially like using these for cookouts and backyard camping.
Mosquitoes are the one thing I really dislike about summer. Here in New England they’re pretty much the worse (besides maybe black flies!)
What attracts mosquitoes?
- Carbon Dioxide – mosquitoes find you because they’re attracted to the carbon dioxide you exhale.
- Heat – people who are over heated due to the weather or exercise will have blood closer to the surface of their body, which attracts mosquitoes.
- Dark Colors – dressing in dark colors means you stand out to mosquitoes.
Obviously you can’t stop breathing! There’s not too much you can do about avoiding being overheated either, although wearing lighter colored clothing may help keep you cooler and make it more difficult for mosquitoes to hone in on you.
What repels mosquitoes naturally?
They key then is finding ways to repel them. Essential oils replace all of those yucky chemicals. (New to essential oils? It’s ok! They are so easy to use and I promise, you will be impressed!)
- citronella, which comes from the lemongrass plant
- peppermint and eucalyptus
- citrus such as lemon
Using a combination of fresh rosemary and lemons along with essential oils helps make these natural insect repellent jars as appealing to the eye as they are effective to repelling mosquitoes and other insects!
And can you honestly think of a prettier thing to have sitting on your table? Everyone will comment on how lovely it is and when you tell them about it’s secret super power they will be absolutely amazed.
How do you keep mosquitoes away?
- Make natural repellents such as marigolds, catnip and geraniums part of your landscape.
- Get rid of stagnant water where mosquitoes breed.
- Make an herb garden with lavender, basil, rosemary, and thyme which mosquitoes dislike.
- Create these natural insect repellent jars!
All-Natural Insect Repellent Jars
Here is what you need to make your own all-natural insect repellent jars:
- Quart-size Mason jars
- River stones
- Floating candle
- Lemons and limes
- Essential Oils (Choose 4 of your favorites from the list below).
Choose four Essential Oils from this list:
These are all awesome for keeping the bugs away!
Making the jars are easy peasy, here’s what to do:
- First, slice lemons and limes and cut a few sprigs of rosemary. Add a few slices of fruit and rosemary into a jar.
- Fill the jar with water with a few inches to spare before having it completely filled.
- Add 10 drops of each of the essential oils you choose.
- Add another slice of lemon/lime and a top with a floating candle.
- Repeat to make additional jars as desired.
These also work great for camping or glamping, too!
Here are some other summertime posts you might also enjoy:
from left to right:
- DIY Pallet Pool Storage
- Summer Ice Pops
- DIY Chalk Paint
- DIY Pallet Planter Tutorial
- Brownie Bite No Churn Ice Cream
- Free Watercolor Summer Printables