Homemade granola bars are an easy and delicious snack for kids and adults!
I've been wanting to try some homemade granola bars for awhile now, and decided there's no time like 'back to school' that is more appropriate. The big challenge for me is that my kid's daycare/school is nut free - that means no peanut butter as a binder, and no almonds or anything like that either.
It was even easier than I thought it would be! My kids love these. Even my picky eater - who won't touch a dried cranberry to save his screen time - will eat these!
- 1-½ cups quick cooking oats
- ½ cup crispy rice cereal
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- ¼ cup flax meal
- Scant ¼ cup brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅔ cup honey
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Dash of salt
- ¼ cup white chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350-degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Spread the coconut and oats on the baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, line a 9x12 baking pan with parchment paper hanging over the sides, and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the cereal, flax meal and cinnamon.
- Add in the dried cranberries.
- Once the oats and coconut are done baking, add those ingredients to the bowl as well.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter with the honey and brown sugar.
- Add the salt and bring to a boil.
- Pour the liquid over the oat mixture and toss to combine.
- Press the mixture into the pan using the back of a spatula or wooden spoon.
- Sprinkle the white chocolate chips all over and press into the mixture.
- Chill for 30 minutes before cutting.
- Swap out the white chocolate and cranberries for raisins and semi-sweet chocolate.
- Use wheat germ instead of flax meal.
- Substitute maple syrup or agave nectar for the honey.
I stored mine in the fridge and quickly found that they honey hardens a bit too much that way, so room temp is the way to go.
Package them up in snack baggies and you have a snack that's ready to travel!
😋 Similar Recipes
- Healthy Homemade Granola Bars
- Chocolate Pretzel Granola Bars - Peanut Free
- Autumn Maple Pecan Granola Bars
- Peanut Butter Granola Bars
- Blueberry & Coconut Granola Bars
- Easy Granola Bar Recipe
Related: Pineapple Cranberry Smoothie