What are the best apples for apple pie?
Before we get to the recipe, a quick word about the apples. No one likes an apple pie that is soggy or mushy. Often people use Macintosh apples for baking but I find that they have a mealiness to them that doesn’t hold up for a pie. The best pies are made with crisp apples, such as:
- Pink Lady
- Granny Smith
As for the preparing itself, Mr. Juggling Act swears by thin slices, which is how his mother makes her pies. My mother prefers bite-sized pieces. No matter how you cut them, be sure that the pieces are about the same in thickness so that the apples will cook evenly.
What are the ingredients for apple pie?
- prepared or homemade pie crust
- all-purpose flour
- granulated sugar
- brown sugar
I highly recommend using 2 teaspoons of my Homemade Apple Pie Spice Mix in this easy apple pie!
Items You May Also Need:
Some of the items below contain affiliate links; I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. However, I only promote things that I love and think you will love, too. For more information, please see our Disclosure Policy.
Products from Amazon.com
Price: Out of stock
Price: $12.92Was: $43.00
Price: $19.98Was: $28.00
Price: $9.99Was: $12.99
For a list of some of my favorite items to use when cooking, and why I chose them, please visit my Kitchen Resource page.
Easy Apple Pie
- Prepared pie crust for top and bottom rolled out to 10"
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granualted sugar
- 3/4-1 cup light brown sugar depending on tartness of your apples
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- Dash salt
- 8 cups apples chopped (about 6 large apples)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 egg
- Preheat the oven to 425-degrees.In a large mixing bowl, toss the apples with the dry ingredients. Let them sit while preparing the crust.
- Roll the pie crust out to 10" and place into the bottom of the pie dish.
- Spoon the apple mixture into the prepared pie plate. Cut the butter into small pieces and place on top of the apple mixture.
- Roll the top crust piece out to 10" and make any design cuts you may like. Place on top of the the apple mixture, then crimp the edges with your fingers.
- Beat the egg in a small bowl. Brush the top of the pie with the egg wash, and use the egg wash to place any pieces of cut crust you have.
- Lightly spray your Baking Pie Crust Shield and place over the pie. Put the pie on a foil lined baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the shield, brush again with egg wash (if needed), and bake for another 15-20 minutes until golden brown and the apple mixture is bubbling through the cut-outs.
- Remove to a cooling rack and let set for 10-15 minutes before cutting.
Simple as… well, pie!
Serve with my Homemade Whipped Cream for a really delicious dessert!
Products from Amazon.com
Price: $16.99Was: $19.99