This Apple Bacon Spinach Salad and Lemon-Shallot Vinaigrette has so many amazing textures and flavors going on – you’ll want to make it again and again!
Mr. Juggling Act works a million hours a week. For starters, he drives 40 miles in the worst traffic to get to his office. He works 10 or more hours, before making the same brutal drive home. Some days, he doesn’t even see the kids outside their beds! Most nights, he eat leftovers, or makes a quick sandwich, before spending more time working at home. He’s exhausted, and who would blame him? He works very hard to support our family and we’re so grateful for it. Every now and then, I like to surprise him with something that I made just for him. It’s a little way to say ‘I love you.’ This Apple Bacon Spinach Salad was created in one of those moments – I hope you love it as much as he did!
It starts with crispy bacon, crunchy tart apples and lots of fresh spinach. The Lemon-Shallot Vinaigrette piles on more bright delicious flavors.
- 1 large crisp apple I used Pink Lady variety
- 1/2 lemon
- Water for soaking
- 4 cups mixed greens with spinach
- 2 slices bacon cooked until crisp
- Chopped pecans or walnuts optional
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons shallots minced
- 1-1/4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1-1/4 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 1 small clove of garlic minced
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Kosher Salts and ground pepper
- Core and slice the apple. Put the apples into a large bowl and cover with cold water. Squeeze in the lemon juice and mix gently.
- Wash and pat dry the greens.
- Remove the apples from the water and pat dry. Arrange on top of the greens.
- Top with crispy bacon pieces, and nuts if desired.
- Combine all of the ingredients except for the olive oil, salt and pepper in the blender.
- Slowly drizzle in the olive oil so it emulsifies.
- Season with salt and pepper and drizzle over the salad.