Bourbon BBQ Sauce might just be the most delicious condiment ever!
Grilling season is just about here so it is a perfect time to make our Homemade Pineapple Bourbon BBQ Sauce! See how easy this recipe is – you could have thick delicious barbecue sauce in less than 30 minutes.
PIN FOR LATER
When grilling season rolls around, I love getting out of the house and experimenting with new flavors. I’ve made homemade BBQ sauce a few times now, and I love how simple it is to whip up. When it comes to making a sauce for basting, there are a couple of things I know I want:
- A thick luscious sauce that covers the meat or vegetables and hangs on – drippy sauces cause flare-ups.
- Balanced flavors that are not too sweet, spicy or tangy.
- Enough sugar to help give the grilled food nice caramelization on the grill, but not immediately burn.
This is the sauce I used on my grilled boneless pork chops and they are totally amazing!
How Can I Make BBQ Sauce?
If you have never made your own BBQ sauce before, you might be intimidated, but it’s really quite easy to do! The key is to get the right amount of acid, paired with just the right amount of sweet and heat. In our Pineapple Bourbon BBQ Sauce recipe, we’re using ketchup as a base, which has vinegar in it. The Worcestershire also acts as an acid in this recipe. For sweetness, light brown sugar and molasses work together, along with the pineapple. This sauce is more sweet, but there is just a pinch of red pepper flake to bring a little bit of that heat. If you like, you can also add a little cayenne pepper.
- Cook onions on low under translucent.
- Whisk in the ketchup, light brown sugar, pineapple juice, crushed pineapple, Worcestershire sauce, bourbon, molasses, black pepper, granulate garlic, onion powder, chili powder and salt.
- Bring to boil, then reduce the heat and let simmer 20-30 minutes.
Does Bourbon BBQ Sauce have alcohol?
What Are Ingredients in Barbecue Sauce?
- Olive Oil
- Light Brown Sugar
- Pineapple Juice
- Crushed Pineapple
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Salt and Pepper
- Granulated Garlic
- Onion Powder
- Red Pepper Flake
Items You May Also Need:
Some of the items below contain affiliate links; I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. However, I only promote things that I love and think you will love, too. For more information, please see my Disclosure Policy.
Products from Amazon.com
Price: $57.89Was: $99.99
Price: Check on Amazon
For a list of some of my favorite items to use when cooking, and why I chose them, please visit my Kitchen Resource page.
How Long Should You Cook BBQ Sauce?
Our BBQ sauce recipe needs just 20-30 minutes to cook. That is plenty of time for all the flavors to come together and the sugars to caramelize a little. The longer this cooks, the thicker it will be, so take care not to let it go to long.
Pineapple Bourbon BBQ Sauce Recipe Variations
There are several other yummy flavors you could pair with this bourbon BBQ sauce instead of the pineapple. Substitute pineapple juice for apple juice and instead of crushed pineapple, use an equal amount of pureed peaches, plums, apricots or apples.
If you like a spicier sauce, try adding a bit of hot sauce or cayenne pepper to the mixture. Always be sure to taste because a little goes a long way and it’s easy to add more, but you can’t take it out.
Incredible Pineapple Bourbon BBQ Sauce
You’re going to love this bold but sweet BBQ sauce! It’s perfect for pork and chicken, but can hold it’s own for beef and veggies, too. Stay tuned for a new recipe next week with absolutely mouthwatering Grilled Pork Loin Roast using this tasty homemade BBQ sauce.
Incredible Pineapple Bourbon BBQ Sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1-1/2 cups light brown sugar
- 3/4 cups pineapple juice
- 1/2 cup crushed pineapple
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1/2 cup bourbon
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- In a medium saucepan, add the diced onions and the olive oil. Cook over medium heat until the onions become translucent.
- Add the ketchup, light brown sugar, pineapple juice, crushed pineapple, Worcestershire sauce, bourbon, molasses, black pepper, granulate garlic, onion powder, chili powder and salt. Whisk to combine.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer until the mixture thickens and reduces, about 20-30 minutes.
- Cool the BBQ sauce and then ladle into a mason jar.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 7 days.
What is Bourbon BBQ sauce good on?
Well… what is it not good on?? My favorite way to use it is with pork, like in my grilled boneless pork chops recipe, but it is also delicious on chicken, too. Give it a try on grilled pork kabobs! Just skip the Asian marinade in the preparation. Slather on this gorgeous sauce and you’re good to go!
If you liked this Bourbon BBQ Sauce Recipe, You Might Also Like…
From left to right:
Still not what you’re looking for? Try one of these recipes from some of my favorite blogs…