As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
A Homemade Planter Box is a simple project you can usually do in a day or two. There are so many fun and different ways to use these homemade planters to create fabulous curb appeal for your home!
My Mom is an avid gardener and has window boxes and planters full of beautiful flowers and trailing ivy everywhere. Despite the short growing season in Maine, she spends countless hours planting and pruning. She and my Dad have built lots of different boxes over the years.
I don’t have the same devotion to gardening that my Mom does, but I certainly appreciate pretty blooms and a thriving Herb Garden! Since my husband and I bought our home 15 years ago, we’ve loads of sweat equity into making our house a home, including our yard.
Do it Yourself Planters
Homemade planters can be made with many different materials. Often new ones are constructed from cedar, teak or redwood, although pine is sometimes used as well.
Upcycled planter boxes are common also. Old pallets and even metal roofing make for some pretty cool designs, too. Before using old pallets, be sure to read this article about pallet safety.
Here are some of our most favorite DIY planters we’ve featured here on Juggling Act Mama through the years:
This easy DIY project upcycles an old pallet into a planter in just a few hours!
DIY Cedar Planter Box
This tutorial for building a cedar planter box uses cedar fence post boards.
A planter like this adds instant curb appeal to your porch or deck!
DIY Outdoor Planter Bench
Create a bench with planter boxes for your backyard or porch.
This adds more seating and a beautiful pop of color to your yard.
Now for some other DIY projects that I think you are going to love. I adore all these fun ideas!
- These Planter Boxes from Pallets from Instructables Workshop (pictured below) include optional columns so you can add hanging baskets.
- I love how Little Homestead in Boise used metal roofing for her Shabby Chic Flower Boxes.
- Wellness Mama created a Homemade Planter Box that can be used for backyard gardening using cedar fence slats.
Homemade Planter Box
If smaller planter boxes are more your speed, check out these beautiful projects:
- The Handyman’s Daughter used cedar fence pickets and boards to create Deck Railing Planters (pictured below) that I just adore. Vineta’s Vertical Garden Wall Planter is pretty spectacular, too!
- Old pallets can be used to make so many great planters, like these Wooden Planter Boxes from House by Hoff.
- These Hanging Rain Gutter Planters from Make It & Love It really makes a statement, too. It is such a creative idea, and all for under $20!
- Use our Decopage Flower Pot tutorial and make a whole bunch of mix and match planters to decorate your covered patio or sunroom.
Which of these lovely homemade planters do you want to take on this weekend??
❤ I love hearing from you so be sure to leave me a comment below!