As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
We’ll show you how to Make Homemade Hand Sanitizer that is safe for the whole family with just a few simple ingredients, which you probably have in your medicine cabinet.
Before we get into how to make homemade hand sanitizer, I want to share some important information with you. Please read this statement from the CDC about handwashing:
The CDC recommends washing hands with soap and water whenever possible because handwashing reduces the amounts of all types of germs and chemicals on hands.source
This is because hand sanitizer does not eliminate all types of germs. For hand hygiene guidance, please visit the Clean Hands Count webpage.
The CDC also recommends that “If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol. “
Materials for Homemade Hand Sanitizer Spray
- Spray bottles, see if you can reuse something around your home. The 2-ounce bottles we used are from Amazon.
- 3 tablespoons Isopropyl alcohol (we used 91%)
- 2-4 teaspoons aloe vera gel (the more aloe used the milder it will be on your skin, however, it may also impact how the liquid fits through the spray bottle tube and pump as aloe thickens the hand sanitizer).
Essential oils are optional, but I like using this one which helps fight germs and it is safe for kids. You can add 10-20 drops, depending on how potent you want it to be.
Yes and no… In order to kill off bacteria and viruses, the vodka needs to be 60-proof or higher.
Yes, white vinegar kills about 80% of germs and it is a great disinfectant. However, you don’t want to use it for hand sanitizer.
Washing your hands properly the best way to get rid of germs. Hydrogen peroxide can kill germs but isn’t ideal as a hand sanitizer.
“If you can make a sanitizer with the appropriate content of isopropyl alcohol or ethanol—60 percent or more—it is likely to work well.” – Carl FichtenbaumCarl Fichtenbaum is an infectious disease specialist and professor of clinical medicine at the University of Cincinnati
How to Make Homemade Hand Sanitizer
- Pour the Isopropyl alcohol and aloe vera to your spray bottle.
- Add essential oils, if desired.
- Screw the cap on tightly and give the bottle a couple of firm shakes to mix the ingredients.
These should not be stored in the car, where it might get too warm. I keep a little bottle in my purse for when we are not able to use soap and water.